Thread: 1770 tackle

1770 tackle

gday guys
    heading up to 1770 next week. just wondering what sort of gear to fish with. heading out to the fitzroy reef area..
    just wondering in the way of line strength(main and leader) and what the currents are like up there for weight needed..

also has anyone had much luck on plastics up there?
    thanks

Re: 1770 tackle

G'day Dan,

I take at least 3 strong outfits on these sorts of sojourns

Outfit 1. 15-24kg Rod matched to something like a tld25/Tyrnos/Penn TRQ300 loaded with 37kg braid and 10 mts of at least 80-100lb mono leader. purpose: Red Emporer in 40-60mts

Outfit 2. 10-15kg spin matched to 850 Penn Spinfisher or a 760 slammer, loaded with 24kg braid and 10 mts 40-60lb leader. Puropose: Floating unweighted flesh or dead baits for spanish while fishing for Red, Pinging bigass dumbell poppers at GT's, Spaniards or other marauding pelagics, lobbing big baits at trout, lipper and the like around the reefy bits in up to 20mts.

Outfit 3. 10-15kg graphite spin stick matched to 560 penn slammer loaded with at least 15kg braid and 6-8mts of 40lb lmono leader for fishing SP's for trout, lipper etc.

a box of 100 x 8/0 7766dxx mustads to gang
    Box of 50 x 8/0 Owner suicide hooks for single hook rigs or snooded hook rigs
    100mt spools of 40,60,80,100 Penn 10x leader
    Box of 100 x 250 lb crane swivels
    plenty of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 ball sinkers
    plenty of 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 oz snapper lead

Assorted nitro Jig Heads from 1/4oz-1 1/2 oz on 7/0 owner hooks
    Assorted Gulp! 7" jerk shads

a few big dumbell poppers/halco roosta's
    a few skirts and large halco tremblers to troll on your overhead outfit.

And maybe throw in a heavy 6' jig rod and some 250-300gram knife jigs (use the 850 spin fisher/760 slammer for jigging)

That should cover most bases

Definitely include plastics!

cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by revs57 View Post
    G'day Dan,

I take at least 3 strong outfits on these sorts of sojourns

Outfit 1. 15-24kg Rod matched to something like a tld25/Tyrnos/Penn TRQ300 loaded with 37kg braid and 10 mts of at least 80-100lb mono leader. purpose: Red Emporer in 40-60mts

Outfit 2. 10-15kg spin matched to 850 Penn Spinfisher or a 760 slammer, loaded with 24kg braid and 10 mts 40-60lb leader. Puropose: Floating unweighted flesh or dead baits for spanish while fishing for Red, Pinging bigass dumbell poppers at GT's, Spaniards or other marauding pelagics, lobbing big baits at trout, lipper and the like around the reefy bits in up to 20mts.

Outfit 3. 10-15kg graphite spin stick matched to 560 penn slammer loaded with at least 15kg braid and 6-8mts of 40lb lmono leader for fishing SP's for trout, lipper etc.

a box of 100 x 8/0 7766dxx mustads to gang
    Box of 50 x 8/0 Owner suicide hooks for single hook rigs or snooded hook rigs
    100mt spools of 40,60,80,100 Penn 10x leader
    Box of 100 x 250 lb crane swivels
    plenty of 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 ball sinkers
    plenty of 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 oz snapper lead

Assorted nitro Jig Heads from 1/4oz-1 1/2 oz on 7/0 owner hooks
    Assorted Gulp! 7" jerk shads

a few big dumbell poppers/halco roosta's
    a few skirts and large halco tremblers to troll on your overhead outfit.

And maybe throw in a heavy 6' jig rod and some 250-300gram knife jigs (use the 850 spin fisher/760 slammer for jigging)

That should cover most bases

Definitely include plastics!

cheers

Rhys
    Ye sounds like you have it covered, but I like to have leader up to 200lb coz theres some oversize bits of gear up there that leave you scratching your head

rhys you must have a shit load of extra weight in tackle! and who says fishing isnt an expensive sport for the enthusiest, all the must haves for that area.

hey dean only 200lb! thats massive i gues i must call mine the whipersnipper as the biggest i have on board is a spool of 300lb and it still gets busted on occasions.

cheers justin

For what its worth you guys are seriously undergunned, 500lb braid, dont Nancy around
    Tangles KFC

Ahhh Justin, once a tackle rat, always a tackle rat. Flamin Riptide is often like a floating tackle shop - I try not to think how much is tied up in it all - just looking at a full tackle box/tray of jig head's, then a full tackle box/tray of knife jigs, then a full tackle box/tray of hooks from 4/0 - 10/0 then a fill tackle box/tray of hard bodies, then a large tupper ware box with 30 odd packets of 7" jerk shads, then a smaller tupper ware box of 5" jerk shads....ooooh my head is starting to hurt.....man you're right, it sure adds up!

Geeez Mike, I thought Dean's suggestion at 200lb was a good go, but 500lb - I don't think I'd like to see what was on the other end of 500lbs

cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

WOW Rhys, I hope your wife dosn't read this site........ sounds like an awesome set up!

Maybe I should get my wife to read this thread so she can get an understanding of how this fishing addiction can affect others just as much....... well probably more than me

Plenty of hard work gone in to getting it done right!

Great advice, good luck DanW

Rhys, with the price of lead the way it is, I hope you've got all your sinkers locked away in a safe!

500lb braid Mike?? Way to go!! Wouldn't mind seeing the leader.

TOL

G'day John,

Well not quite a safe, but they do come off the boat every trip!

Cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    For what its worth you guys are seriously undergunned, 500lb braid, dont Nancy around
    You fit, what was it, 7 metres of that stuff on that reel of yours Mike? Man I still laugh about that. Zzzzzt! Spooled!

The line fits OK through the guides, but the D shackles he uses to join the rope leader...

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

rhys so you own a forklift to remove your sinkers na youll need it one day and like it is the day you dont have it youll be pissed. my missus says my tackle looks like a craft shop only sharp all the different colours and shapes

justin

I hope Jackie never sees this thread...or I'm dead... hey i'm a poet - too bad i didn't know it--oooops, signing off now

cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

OK Rhys. What's it worth to not show her?

Blackmail is alive and well!!!!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    OK Rhys. What's it worth to not show her?

Blackmail is alive and well!!!!

Cheers,

Tim
    You sure find out who your friends are on ausfish - DON'T YOU TIM!

cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Struth - I'm also heading to 1770 late next wk but kayak fishing, that lot would sink me!!!
    Good luck "Danw86".
    Cheers - Greg