Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Spin Gear for barra

Re: Spin Gear for barra

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    No prize - Sorry AB

7 ft is an efficient blank length when you consider the placement of the reel & ideal blank seat for punching out typical plastics ...... sure you can go shorter - no dramas! I used one over the weekend

Chris

Weren't you saying that the 7 footer is too long to work the lure properly though? My first barra/cod spin rod was a 665 GL3 Blank. You could park your boat 10' closer to where you're fishing and utilise a shorter rod to work your lure efficiently, however I'm starting to think that when you ask questions you don't really want answers.

To set the record straight I used a 3500hd Certate loaded with 30 braid on a Daiwa Saltwater 10-17lb stick and a Certate 2500r custom on a Daiwa Saltwater 8-14lb stick.

I think it was fine to use and have never had an issues using gear of that weight casting all day for all different species I have used this gear for.

Cheers

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    *One step forward, unloaded the rod just after transferring body weight to the front foot. The leader knots were all in the guides. The drop length was about 60cm. The rod was stationary behind me before I started.
    I do the same cast when slug chucking. I couldn't do it properly in my yard cause i kept getting caught up in the trees lol. 70 metres hey, well i guess your the right frame for it.

Casting with the wind spin would defineately have the upper hand. Launch the lure up in the air and let the wind carry it.

The big question is not how far you can cast but how far do you need to cast?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    Weren't you saying that the 7 footer is too long to work the lure properly though? My first barra/cod spin rod was a 665 GL3 Blank. You could park your boat 10' closer to where you're fishing and utilise a shorter rod to work your lure efficiently, however I'm starting to think that when you ask questions you don't really want answers.

Thats right AB ...... I reckon a 7ft rod casts well - but is a bugger to comfortably work a lure. ( nice for rolling a placcy)
    My current BC point casting rod is a 7'1" GLX loomis ....... It can cast from 100mm slick rigs up to 6" Storm shads.

This really wasn't about which outfit casts further - I just wanted to varify what I can / cant do .

As for not wanting answers - well you certainly dont know me !
    Parking a boat 10M closer If I want to fish the back of a shallow bay without spooking fish - .... The last thing I want to do is go in closer

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Lyndon & Johnny

This could be a long winded response ...... so here goes

* Firstly I'm pretty open minded when it comes to fishing ( & certainly when it comes to barra) - It is a steep learning curve but mine is one based on trial & error in combination with the net , face to face & asking questions - listening! .... I'm putting more time on the water & fishing with more people ..... some talented in barra (no doubt when the time is right - I'll pay the cash to spend time on the water with some barra legend)
    It may sound like I'm dismissive of spin gear :rolleyes: but I'm not (completely) - otherwise I wouldn't have spent some hard earned looking to come up with a suitable outfit ....... not to please anyone else ! or to follow - just to add another option............ & if there is any notion that this is not the case Now while going through this process , I continually come across issues that in my mind detract from the chosen task.

These are some .... that I have noticed

*Grip configuration .. Often too big ( great for casting not so for working a lure or placcy)

*Butt section too long The rod bangs the inside of a forearm on any downward twitch ..... you need to twitch in an upward or side way stroke to work a hard body.
    The long butt does make for efficient long casting ..... & comfortable fighting of a fish in an up & down situation.
    * Short butt section .. These rods are usually heavier bream & bass rods which are matched to <2500 size reels & have tapers that are more suited to throwing small lures ..... not typical barra lures (even frogs)
    Unfortunately fighting a decent barra on a short handle spin stick is pretty uncomfortable
    *Blank tapers ... Tippy or too stiff ( what makes for a good light frog casting rod - often folds away when casting a typical HB or 110mm+ plastic & vice versa
    *Rod lengths .... Efficient casting spin sticks (usually 7 ft) dont make for good tools in the timber
    Overhanging trees 7ft rods & longer droppers are a pain.

Now clearly you can work around all of these issues & put up with a little discomfort ....... but why should you
    Sure I can use a heavier bass spin outfit & catch barra...... or a stump puller to do the same
    I certainly could build my own spin stick that suits my fussy requirements....... & maybe I will - but I wont continue to use an outfit that does not feel right (I'm honest to myself) ....... & yes if Johnny handed me his charter special outfit - & it didn't feel the goods ..... I'll say it ( SteveB & I had this type of conversation yesterday after I had the use of his latest acquisition spin outfit over the past few days)
    To answer your question Lyndon - What I have seen in the way of off the shelf rods ( & what is often chosen) -leaves a lot to be desired (IMO) when it comes to barra ....... sure they will catch fish! ( I reckon if I could cast the buggers - I could catch barra on an alvey too ) How many spin outfits have I tried ..... I've probably held dozens & used another dozen outside of what I have owned.

by comparison most people comment positively about my baitcast outfits ...... they not only do the job - they do it the way I want them too .

Finally ..... I do think there is a trend toward spin rods ( how many people have added a spin rod to their arsenal since THE FISHING DVD #11 ..... how many used a spin rod for barra 3 years ago ?

This is all good stuff & makes for a great discussion

Chris

If you can not cast an Alvey then you will probably struggle with distance casting a spin rod.Alveys are great tools to learn how to cast long distances.But i think you should stick with your baitcasters.If its not broke dont fix it hey. Now think of a new post and except that spin gear has a place in barra fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by SQUIDDA View Post
    If you can not cast an Alvey then you will probably struggle with distance casting a spin rod.Alveys are great tools to learn how to cast long distances.But i think you should stick with your baitcasters.If its not broke dont fix it hey. Now think of a new post and except that spin gear has a place in barra fishing.
    Yeh ..... shocking at casting an alvey

Its not a case of its not broke - & I certainly could happily fish a baitcaster till the cows come home ........ However I do feel that a spin outfit could be useful in certain situations ( light presentations mainly)
    Its during my search that I have struggled to find my happy balance. ......... never mind .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Keep looking mate.

It took me 7 months to find the prefect baitcasting rod that suited my style of fishing, not someone elses. Thats the key I think

Personally I think if you can't find it on the shelf then get it made, then you can specify exactly what you want and a good rod builder will make you an excellent spin rod for barra.

The next big question is what reel are you going to use. I woudl suggest a 2500r Certate custom

Cheers

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by leelee View Post
    Keep looking mate.

It took me 7 months to find the prefect baitcasting rod that suited my style of fishing, not someone elses. Thats the key I think

Personally I think if you can't find it on the shelf then get it made, then you can specify exactly what you want and a good rod builder will make you an excellent spin rod for barra.

The next big question is what reel are you going to use. I woudl suggest a 2500r Certate custom

Cheers

Lee
    Maybe I could just get one of those bling handles & knob for my 3000

I think it will be a build job

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Maybe I could just get one of those bling handles & knob for my 3000

I think it will be a build job

Chris
    Keep the 3000 and get a 2500r and get 2 spin rods custom made.

When you get 1 made you will want another so you don't have to tie lures onto the new rod all the time

Cheers

Lee

Hi all,well taking everyones comments and giving it some thought,thanks Lyndon.I've come up with a spin set up that I suppose is a bit of a compromise given present fiscal policy.I have a Avaya 7'spin rod rated to 8kg and after some deliberation have teamed it with a Daiwa Excelor 4000.The 4000 hopefully won't be to much of a problem with long periods of casting,had a run in the back yard and first up seems ok.I'll have to use it for other scenarios as well as Barra.I'm going to put the markers down the yard on the weekend,will keep you posted on results.Just a quickie 30lb braid seems to be the line of choice for most of you guys,what length leader? I usually have the leader just long enough so the knot doesn't get into the guides as I worry about damaging the guides and shortening the length of the cast.Also,what knot do you favour?I use the double uni mainly because in the heat of battle its the quickest one I can do even if its not the best one for the job.
    Paulo
    Last edited by PaulMark; 14-07-2009 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Clarification

Another double post.

How many people were using spin a couple of years ago? Or should the question be " How many people were using baitcasters only, because their friends were or they were brainwashed by advertising, instead of going out and trialling both and making their own minds up?"

Probably a couple of hundred thousand fisho's both serious, part timers and social fisho's use spin gear. The only thing is they go un-noticed as they are outside the small impoundment scene we might have some contact with, that's all. Or maybe they were snobbed or seen as behind the times for using spin. Maybe they are not noticed at all.

Live, spend time fishing or travelling above the Tropic of Capricorn or even better the line from Cairns to Broom and you see plenty of spin setups. The whole world of tactical and technical development isnt' all invented in the southern impoundment barra scene or just in the tournament minded or on the net.

Shitloads of good work gets done with a minimum of fuss across hundreds of thousands of barra captures, it's just that in the SEQ we hear mostly about the impoundment scene with only a scattering of northern reports in 2-3 mags, which just scratches the surface. Many between the ages of 40ish to 80+ don't use the net so we never hear of their experiences. If people are just getting in to spin now maybe it's just a form of catching up or waking up. Having a second opinion at hand might just be a smart idea.

By the way the difference between 44m and 70m is over 75 feet which is enough of a gap to drive about 5 trucks through. That's a big variance in setups and casting distance. This might provide some food for thought.

Cheers Lyndon.

Chris (Naggs) Quotes

*Grip configuration .. Often too big ( great for casting not so for working a lure or placcy)
    I haven't heard this one before. In fact i know guys that make the grips bigger as they know a bit about sport. If hands were smaller than most 5 year olds i could see the point, but then i know a few 5 year olds that use full size tennis racquets.

This sounds way off the mark.

*Butt section too long The rod bangs the inside of a forearm on any downward twitch ..... You need to twitch in an upward or side way stroke to work a hard body.
    Who made downward twitching the be all and end all anyway, the tv guys? Who says its fool proof? Who says it's the best technique? For some guys this technique in their current setup is a weak link. They haven' worked it out yet. I wonder how many years it will take?

The long butt does make for efficient long casting ..... & comfortable fighting of a fish in an up & down situation. Yes very strong and stable. Let me see efficient long casting, now wouldn't anyone going fishing be happy with that? Then if you handed them a comfortable fish fighting combo 'd reckon they would be pretty happy with that. So why isn't spin good enough for you?

* Short butt section .. These rods are usually heavier bream & bass rods which are matched to <2500 size reels & have tapers that are more suited to throwing small lures ..... Not typical barra lures (even frogs) Your kidding arent' you? Are you saying these bream and bass rods can't cast frogs?

Unfortunately fighting a decent barra on a short handle spin stick is pretty uncomfortable. It depends if the setup got you the hookup in the first place that you might not normally have raised e.g. if you couldn't throw ultra light frogs without getting in to trouble with the bc. Then you would be happy for any hookup and with gear worth over $500-$1000 i'd hope it could be used to land a barra. Rods aren't always bought for the sole purpose of fighting fish. Getting the strike and hookup might come first. Delivery also needs to be considered.

*Blank tapers ... Tippy or too stiff ( what makes for a good light frog casting rod - often folds away when casting a typical HB or 110mm+ plastic & vice versa
    So you want a spin stick that can do everything, yet your baitaster can't do everything you need with the light stuff. Too picky i reckon.

(Folds away) Yep they fold the lure away 75 feet past your lure, or 5 semi trailers across. A rod that can cast frogs can and does cast lures over 55m as stated in page 2. Going around in circles here Chris.

You need to design that rod called " Perfection". Model number 75.

*Rod lengths .... Efficient casting spin sticks (usually 7 ft) dont make for good tools in the timber
    How many times on a barra dam do you really need to smash your boat through timber. Are all the fish only in the timber at any 1 time with say 30 000 barra in a dam?

Sit on your lean seat which will lower you by 2 feet. Problem solved!!! or get really good at casting, or maybe fish are also holding away from timber in many cases. Or get a shorter spin rod.

Arguements can be made for both sides. That was the point of the reply.
    Good luck with the rod building and search for the perfect setup. Your baitcasters must be perferct if you are so picky with regards to spin.

Maybe your bc setups should be compared against some of the best on the net to see where they are really at. It could be another 75 feet which would make it 150 feet (Rod Model 75+75). Enough to drive a couple of aircraft carriers through

Just having a laugh Chris to lighten things up.

Cheers Lyndon.

What a read! More of the same old same old from a typical Nagg thread, just like the one he started up on trolling.
    Nagg get yourself some therapy mate, do this. go out in a boat with a spin rod a troll all day!! Relax! LOL!!
    99.9% of the fishing population are not represented here, most of them can go out and enjoy a day on the water and relax. How ever did people get on before all this gear was available? I remember going fishing and spending endless hours of total enjoyment as a kid catching Bobbys (Spangled Perch) with a stick of bamboo and a bit of 6lb line just tied on the end!!
    All this hyper inquisition over styles and gear is way beyond me. Last year in a day I nailed 7 barra at Awoonga on a 95 dollar spin rod, total enjoyment! Who cares??
    Lets just go fishing and enjoy ourselves.
    Fishing also involves interaction with the great outdoors, the birdlife, sunsets, billy tea, chilly dawns, a coldie at 4pm, and your mates!
    If you have your bum up and head down in a managerie of gear, stressing out whether your last cast reached the required distance etc, whether the rod bumped your arm etc, how can you possible enjoy a day out fishing?

Flatzie

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    Chris (Naggs) Quotes

I haven't heard this one before. In fact i know guys that make the grips bigger as they know a bit about sport. If hands were smaller than most 5 year olds i could see the point, but then i know a few 5 year olds that use full size tennis racquets.

This sounds way off the mark.

*Butt section too long The rod bangs the inside of a forearm on any downward twitch ..... You need to twitch in an upward or side way stroke to work a hard body.
    Who made downward twitching the be all and end all anyway, the tv guys? Who says its fool proof? Who says it's the best technique? For some guys this technique in their current setup is a weak link. They haven' worked it out yet. I wonder how many years it will take?

The long butt does make for efficient long casting ..... & comfortable fighting of a fish in an up & down situation. Yes very strong and stable. Let me see efficient long casting, now wouldn't anyone going fishing be happy with that? Then if you handed them a comfortable fish fighting combo 'd reckon they would be pretty happy with that. So why isn't spin good enough for you?

* Short butt section .. These rods are usually heavier bream & bass rods which are matched to <2500 size reels & have tapers that are more suited to throwing small lures ..... Not typical barra lures (even frogs) Your kidding arent' you? Are you saying these bream and bass rods can't cast frogs?

Unfortunately fighting a decent barra on a short handle spin stick is pretty uncomfortable. It depends if the setup got you the hookup in the first place that you might not normally have raised e.g. if you couldn't throw ultra light frogs without getting in to trouble with the bc. Then you would be happy for any hookup and with gear worth over $500-$1000 i'd hope it could be used to land a barra. Rods aren't always bought for the sole purpose of fighting fish. Getting the strike and hookup might come first. Delivery also needs to be considered.

So you want a spin stick that can do everything, yet your baitaster can't do everything you need with the light stuff. Too picky i reckon.

(Folds away) Yep they fold the lure away 75 feet past your lure, or 5 semi trailers across. A rod that can cast frogs can and does cast lures over 55m as stated in page 2. Going around in circles here Chris.

You need to design that rod called " Perfection". Model number 75.

How many times on a barra dam do you really need to smash your boat through timber. Are all the fish only in the timber at any 1 time with say 30 000 barra in a dam?

Sit on your lean seat which will lower you by 2 feet. Problem solved!!! or get really good at casting, or maybe fish are also holding away from timber in many cases. Or get a shorter spin rod.

Arguements can be made for both sides. That was the point of the reply.
    Good luck with the rod building and search for the perfect setup. Your baitcasters must be perferct if you are so picky with regards to spin.

Maybe your bc setups should be compared against some of the best on the net to see where they are really at. It could be another 75 feet which would make it 150 feet (Rod Model 75+75). Enough to drive a couple of aircraft carriers through

Just having a laugh Chris to lighten things up.

Cheers Lyndon.
    I'm not going to justify my comments here Lyndon ..... As all were based on what I have experienced .
    Maybe we should have a fish together & talk about it while trying to catch a barra

Chris

PS .... One of my baitcasters can just about do it all
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO