Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Spin Gear for barra

Re: Spin Gear for barra

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post
    Just a suggestion, necessity being the mother of invention and innovation leave the baitcasters at home and use only your spin stick for your next trip out. It may be that all you need is to spend some time with it in your hand rather than in the locker. Not saying either is better overall or trying to convert but it may help to answer your own questions in the best way possible

Either way it'll add to the challenge of your next trip.
    Been there .... almost ( certainly over a couple of day) ........ Replaced that rod with another spin rod ....... much better suited to kingfish than barra

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by wheezer View Post
    that's where custom rod builders such as myself come in
    Yeh Andrew .... but you guys just currupt the clients & just build what you think is required
    Not you personally Andrew

Back in my dark past ...... I built quite a few of my own rods (MW still uses a couple - silly boy )

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Finally got around to reading this thread. great thread Chris.

Being a predominantly Monduran angler, I have always stuck with the baitcaster, tuned to suit the way I fish....I have had no trouble casting as far as any of the 3 or 4 basic spin setups that have been through and not mastered or enjoyed. WIth that, they would be put back in the rack and not brought out until I would go bait soaking in the salt.....or casting for tuna.....Which got me thinking....these rods are for salt water styles, either jigging, baitfishing or casting chrome slugs.

(the following is not an add!!..seriously)

The next bit refers to getting quality rod and outfit no matter what brand it is, and as Johnny said, having it balanced appropriately....then actually concentrating on LEARNING how to use it properly, as Lyndon and Scott explained. This is my story.

I forget that when it comes to spin for barra...I am a total NEWBIE....I have to start at basics which is a total culture (and ego) shock for me

I spoke with Eric Grell, and told him, 'I just cant use a spin for barra'..... When it comes to bass, thats all I use and I love them...why cant I master the heavier versions??

I played with a few Egrells and worked out the particular rod that felt right with the majority of the range of lures that I wanted to cast.....I REALLY do want to get keen on spin...I know the benefits in retrieves, strikes etc etc that spin provides from years of bass. I mean, many of the anglers that I look up to have mastered spin, and really produce the goods to back up their claims, aims, and techniques.

back on the water, After about 10 casts, I was casting further and more comfortable than previously...wow this aint to bad....Eric explained a few more things regarding energy and the deliverance of energy though the fishing rod to improve casting......Too hard to explain....but in a nutshell, if you have ever swung a golf stick, hit a cricket ball, or served a tennis ball, rythmn and timing is everything,.....the old saying 'big swing...no ding' applys to casting too. This is my basic fundamental which I put into practice now with fishing more consiously....Johnny, Lyndon and Scott can no doubt add 20x the physics to what I have basically explained.

Essentially I am hooked on spin now BECAUSE I HAVE THE RIGHT GEAR, AND WENT BACK TO BASICS...only thing is improvement from here I see. I am being more 'selective' as to instances for long casting spin.....essentially a place like monduran requires constant back and forth changes depending on structure and areas worked, where as Awoonga, to me, has an higher benefit to spin with open points bays and a s$%t load more wind!!

Now, my last piece (slighty off the topic) goes with losing fish for me lately....I am going to go against the latest concepts getting a round suggesting 'strike and strike hard'.....I have reprogramed myself to do this in the last year, and found I am failing big time....I will no longer strike a HB lure, or one with trebbles. I will let the fish weight do the work on plastics, with only minimal rod pressure......Like I used to do successfully......WHY?? firstly because it worked, secondly....well, anatomy and pysiology of the fish will explain the rest.

Once again, great topic chris, and great info from everyone.

Cheers Steve
    I'm glad you like the topic Steve ....... we haven't had a good discussion topic on freshwater chat for a while

Good input there Steve

I certainly had to go back to basics too ....... My rods were launching my plastics higher rather than longer ...... not loading the rod.
    You are right about the rods being used ..... they are more suited to snapper than anything else .... or punching out metal slugs
    Being an old golfer ...... the concept of transferring your weight during a cast would not be totally foreign to you though - So I dare say you would have picked it up pretty quickly (along with timing the drive forward on completing the back cast) THIS IS ANOTHER GOOD TOPIC - Right there !

Have you done a comparison in custing length ?

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I started my fishing habit using threadlines and then fly, and didn't graduate to a baitcaster until Abu brought out the 6000 in about 1972. With any of these casting tools an important thing to remember is that the back cast is just as important as the delivery stroke. A bit like golf and cricket. There are times, as in the other sports, that a quick punch style cast is required, with very little back cast but these situations don't normally arise fishing for barra in impoundments. The rods should load correctly with the lure weight that is being used, so if you change lure weights, you should be changing rods as well. You don't see Tiger Woods playing a complete round with a 3 iron. It is possible to compromise, but it will always be a comprise, and you will not get the full benefit of the rod's design. If you are having problems with wind knots, which have nothing to do with the wind, try closing your bail arm before the lure hits the water. With the correct back cast, your lure will have a flatter trajectory and there will be less loose line in the air. When your lure is in the right spot, wind the handle and stop the line going out. The lure will pull the line tight as it lands and you won't get that loose loop of line over the spool lip. If you are using light lures and winding slack line, as we sometimes need to do when a finesse presentation is required, make a long cast into nowhere every half dozen casts. Wind the line back in through your fingers getting it as tight as possible on the spool. These days, the majority of my casts with either threadline or baitcaster see the reel in gear before the lure hits the water. This is especially helpful if fishing upstream into current or if there are surface feeding fish about that hit the lure as it lands. As to whether Baitcasters are better than Threadlines, it's a bit like asking if blondes are better than brunettes, each has it's place and is great fun in the right hands. Don't forget the redheads (fly) though, as once mastered it can be better than the others. Once again Nagg, you've started a thought provoking thread.

Casting lengths, well only a few basic on the water. I reckon the spin (egrell bear S10) about 5-10 meters longer (so far) than the longest 7ft Egrell baitcaster. The 6'6 baitcasters about another 5 or so meters shorter again. Once again it comes down to practice...another thing, I found the line important....Gone back to Fireline....no wind knots (another thing that turned me off spin). I am using a Saragosa 4000 that I got off the taylor boys....hope some Mojo rubbed off to the reel It feels really well balanced with the S10. I Tested the combo on some nice snapper, sweeties etc last night offshore....I wanted to check out a few things with loading up, hook set, rod angles, drags etc.....and just giving the combo a good workout!!!....Got a bit nervous when my mate next to me caught a 30kg cobia...that would have tested the limits..

cheers Steve

Yep, just read most of this thread a good topic hey.... I love my baitcaster and pick it up alot when fishing mondy probably 90% use... but of late fishing placcies I found myself turning towards the spin gear? why well its simple I come out of the sticks fish points and use it for a different style....

As for the longer casts well different gear prejectile of the cast, knotts type, braid type and the other heap of varibles could mean the differance between lenght.

Nice stuff

Scotty it will be a pleasure to sit around the Awoonga Campfire for a yarn soon. Only 2 fireplaces left i think. My old campsite & tree down the back has been chopped down = gooonski. Keep an eye out for some firewood supplies for me. A couple a hundred kg's of iron bark should do the trick.

We will catchup for an idea swap like the time you took us out in what seemed like 40knots when we got wet and blown away but you still insisted in showing us around many of the area's you have caught the big girls. The next day Trev gave us a bug bath in the keeter and showed us every bird on the dam...

A yarn about how to save a shoulder, back without being sponsored by neurofen would be no sweat as you have taken the time to catchup and swap ideas which i really appreciated and so did my brother. Thankyou.

Injuries: Some of us will be heading for shoulder/elbow surgery later in life i reckon. Some from inevitable wear and tear, but others from poor attitudes towards our body e.g. the attitude of " I know everything and i don't need any help at all in casting, i'm a guru etc". Or " None of this stuff is important" kind of attitudes.

I'll let you know when i'm heading up mate. Nothing below has anything to do with you Scotty all good .

Free Info on the net

I've written another couple of helpfull replies that i'll post later. Firstly i just want to sort something out on the net. I am printing stuff on here i usually get paid for, as it's my work & Scotties. In fact stuff on this thread is already written for future books/articles. This is about the 4th time i've gone over positions so if i see guys on here that say they want to learn but they are still doing the same shit on a different day on the next trip, then i don't hold much hope for helping people for free on the net. I hope to be proven wrong.

Also Consider: Johnny derives his income from the fishing industry and knows a few of you on here but isn't good or best mates or anything, just people in the same scene so to pump someone's life work for free and expect it to be dished up for free on a platter everytime is unreasonable and getting close to being out of line. Some on the net will judge people that won't hand out their lifetimes work for free as bad people, which is way out of line, to put it mildly.

Remember he has been writing about rods, reels and so on for 5+ years on here and has gone over this many times with tips for us to run with and do the rest of the work figuring it out ourselves (Tinkering/fun). If you can't read then 2 hours of DVD spread over 2 different Barra dams should give you enough visual clues to work the rest out yourself. Surely lots of guys on here picked up these clues on the DVD if not the book or articles or free threads to the tune of 20 000 words. If not there is only 1 thing left for you to do.

Pumping for Info: If you want the gold nuggets put under your bed well then use some of the money from the cartons of beer drank per year or money spent on rods, reels and lures (Thousands) & put it towards a session with JM, Harro or Dolan etc. No worries here i'm cool writing this. Just make sure you are aware of what you are asking when asking a question on the net and expecting everything for free for 5 years straight, which some people have forgotten is not a god given right on the net.

A good bloke once said to me " You can't teach people that don't want to learn".

This thread is excellent and has the potential to be one of the best on here. Thankyou to everyone who has helped someone out in this thread.

Cheers Lyndon.

Dale you have been thinking and observing. You are dead right about the takeaway or backswing being as important. I know this has been talked about for decades & a writer wrote about this on here a year or 2 back, but Dale brought it up first on this thread and he has a good point.

Has anyone ever watched a Jav thrower and what the Jav does before throwing? A Tennis player serve? Have a think about it and work some things out for yourself. Try kicking a football while standing with 2 feet together but you are not allowed to throw your kicking leg behind you to get runup. You are only allowed to move your foot forward to kick the ball. See how unco that feels then you might see a bigger picture. Then kick it with a full swing at it. Note the difference.

Steve you are correct. I wrote last year for people to try casting on one leg, then opposite arm then sitting down to take the legs out of the equation and see how much control and power you lose. I know of 5 people that went out and trialled this then gave me feedback. It's no co-incidence that nearly all are members of the (thinking) Awoonga crew with an extra switched on guy giving me feedback from interstate. Ages ranged from 17 to 60+ year old's with the guys that took this on board. Yet hundreds read the thread. Scotty is excempt as he already knew this. The guys were Locky, Pup, Mitch, Harro and Dick.

I've seen kids beat strong grown men with poor setups. Position means a lot for the delivery of finesse control or raw distance or smooth power. If anyone hasn't thought about this, get off the sofa, go out and experiment now for yourself. We have just completed a back yard session today (Scotty) casting at Scrub Turkeys to work on a few things today. Lure modification is thisarvo's session then soft plastics. We have a choice to disregard and do nothing or get out tinkering and learning. I designed my best soft plastic in the last week which is awesome fun. I can't wait to show the Awoonga crew.

You raised a Good point Steve.

If you are not interested in learning you don't need to read this, just go to another thread etc.

Torso: Have a look at the bowler at delivery stride, tennis player serving and Jav thrower to name a few and watch the transfer. With Olympians we are still working on as little as a few cm's of movement & degree's of movement in areas over thousands of reps a year. All then combined with position and split second timing, then completed under pressure globally (Very Hard) not just in Australia.

It's that in depth but in a Global sport you have no choice, you have to go in depth as the gene pool is getting towards 7 Billion, in comparison the impoundment barra pool of anglers that would be less than a 100 partly serious fisho's with only less than 5 doing fulltime or part-time. Most can only train once a month so we are way of being an organised sport where organised training starts at the age of 4 right up to 44 then 64 on the seniors golf tour at world level.

We haven't even reached 1% in capacity of knowledge in this small scene. Put in perspective it's a very, very small scene, especially when compared internationally in fishing and other sports, yet we have a few amazing anglers in the mix that i hope in time everyone appreciates.

Things that are possible. Consider this. If your rod and reel combo comes in around 800gms would you believe that a Jav thrower can throw your entire rig over 80m. Yep and we are talking about slinging a plastic or 80gm lure on the end of a sling shot 7 ft rod approximately 30,40 or 50m. Food for thought. I'm having a laugh ok but Jav's are 800grams in weight and the world record is over 90m from a guy that is shorter than me and comes in 10kgs lighter. A 12 year old has thrown a cricket ball over 90m. 14 year olds kicked league footies drop kicking and torps over 60m. Much is possible if we don't limit out thinking.

I hope i helped a few people out. Now get out and give it a go and hopefully you are doing things easier with less risk of injury.

Reading and then moving on to the next best thread is not always the same as learning.

Cheers Lyndon.

Hi Lyndon

Just quickly on your point of seeking free information on the net & pumping for free information ...... particularly from people that derive an income from fishing (pros).
    Most hereabouts would agree that it is out of line ...... & many if not most would feel uncomfortable about it . ....... Its a bit like asking for a GPS co ordinate

However ...... when someone chooses to participate in a forum like this - then offers some insight or thought ...but only in part .... - --- well , it just kinda leaves you a bit hollow .

..... Keep in mind that the respect & admiration that one accumulates .... often comes from what is put out there for free (sharing).......... Plenty of us then show our appreciation - the next time a new book or DVD is released

In lots of ways , these forums are a cheap way of advertising
    Food for thought ......

Chris

Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

(Interesting, casting in the office whilst waiting for the printer to run through a job)

Just a couple of points on the subject –

Despite my issue with wind knots earlier this year (fixed I hope, the spool was misaligned on its retaining sleeve by a couple of mm therefore the line was clumping at the bottom of the spool) I much prefer my spin outfits for shore based fishing where the platform is much less mobile than that of a boat. Often you have little choice of casting direction or the position to cast from when the location is tight. Additionally the situations of poor balance attributable to your platform are forgiven more often than not by spin gear. The quicker retrieve, a more robust one handed hold when scrambling and a greater ability to punch into the wind compensate to some degree for being landlocked.

Whilst still on the stones I also tend to like spin whilst fishing rapids as well where back eddies will move a fish quickly and you need to keep in contact with the fish. Baitcasters will still get you fish, its just a bit harder.

A couple of posts have focused on casting/body dynamics, something we don’t often think about and the subsequent injuries such as tennis of golfers elbow, or in more extreme cases popping a rib (did that casting a net without pre stretching). Weight distribution on your legs, not necessarily equally distributed either, foot spacing and the transfer of weight from one leg to another whilst maintaining good body balance is pretty crucial but will be ineffective unless it coordinated with what the upper body does as well. My rule of thumb is to take the time to set the body position initially and carry the force applied in the cast though to a rear leg push transferring weigh to the front leg rhythmically. I think the critical component here is regardless of when each particular body action may be initialed they all finish together.

I’d be interested in hearing other views on this, shoulder; elbow and wrist injuries can be the bane of anglers. Getting it right and getting the right gear to get it right can be pretty important.

Hey Lyndon,

I think a Javelin is a bit more aerodynamic than a spin rod and reel. I was taught to fly fish by a Scottish gentleman who wore a tweed jacket and a deer stalker hat. He was a technically perfect caster and waxed lyrical about the importance of a perfect back cast. While we were using split can and solid glass fly rods at the time the principles are the same, it just happens a lot quicker with graphite rods.
    As for thinking and observing, it doesn't take many days on the water with Fitzy and Harro to further enhance what you've learnt over 40 odd years. Except Fitz casts with the wrong hand!

Bloody hell Lyndon you are like a coiled spring mate your fingers must go a thousand miles an hour

Well yep I hear what you are saying with you replies but on the other hand I think in all honesty a bit of what you see is taken a little to hard....

I agree with the free info scenario but most only are asking from personal experiance from each persons point of veiw... So in saying that, what I read when I see these type of posts is "What do you prefer and why?" Not the title of the thread...answer well thats the beauty of the forum set up there is no correct answer written on here as everyone will take what they read and branch off doing what they do and pick up thing s as they plod along...

As for the Free stuff well, like Johnny, yourself and anyone else who makes a dollar from fishing replie as you see fit, hints and tips are typed and spoken about but the majority of blokes on here and anywhere for that matter will still leave it at the ramp and persist in doing it there own way... I have seen a lot of fellas asking for tips and hints at the kitchen and seen them later after you told them a few bits and peices only to find that they herd of fish being caught a x so all you told them went out the other ear...

Fishing in most aspects in a passed down thing through generations of families, Father to son etc and most of us share a common bond and theres is a few that it is part of thier life ( my wife seems to think that's all I think about) and I don't think anyone will bat a eyelid if Johnny, or Harro sat next to a fire and shared past stories of trips gone bye, and if they choose to drop a idea or tip, hint or whatever then its of there choice, not free info just enjoying fishing with blokes that love fishing just like them...

I remember my Tuna days everyone would hold info and keep quiet then as soon as the ropes dropped over the bollards we were all mates and chatted about each others trip and dropped tips on where we where etc...

Anyhow how good is it we can tap away on this set of keys and have conversation about fishing, its awesome..

Nath

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    Scotty it will be a pleasure to sit around the Awoonga Campfire for a yarn soon. Only 2 fireplaces left i think. My old campsite & tree down the back has been chopped down = gooonski. Keep an eye out for some firewood supplies for me. A couple a hundred kg's of iron bark should do the trick.

We will catchup for an idea swap like the time you took us out in what seemed like 40knots when we got wet and blown away but you still insisted in showing us around many of the area's you have caught the big girls. The next day Trev gave us a bug bath in the keeter and showed us every bird on the dam...

A yarn about how to save a shoulder, back without being sponsored by neurofen would be no sweat as you have taken the time to catchup and swap ideas which i really appreciated and so did my brother. Thankyou.

Injuries: Some of us will be heading for shoulder/elbow surgery later in life i reckon. Some from inevitable wear and tear, but others from poor attitudes towards our body e.g. the attitude of " I know everything and i don't need any help at all in casting, i'm a guru etc". Or " None of this stuff is important" kind of attitudes.

I'll let you know when i'm heading up mate. Nothing below has anything to do with you Scotty all good .

Free Info on the net

I've written another couple of helpfull replies that i'll post later. Firstly i just want to sort something out on the net. I am printing stuff on here i usually get paid for, as it's my work & Scotties. In fact stuff on this thread is already written for future books/articles. This is about the 4th time i've gone over positions so if i see guys on here that say they want to learn but they are still doing the same shit on a different day on the next trip, then i don't hold much hope for helping people for free on the net. I hope to be proven wrong.

Also Consider: Johnny derives his income from the fishing industry and knows a few of you on here but isn't good or best mates or anything, just people in the same scene so to pump someone's life work for free and expect it to be dished up for free on a platter everytime is unreasonable and getting close to being out of line. Some on the net will judge people that won't hand out their lifetimes work for free as bad people, which is way out of line, to put it mildly.

Remember he has been writing about rods, reels and so on for 5+ years on here and has gone over this many times with tips for us to run with and do the rest of the work figuring it out ourselves (Tinkering/fun). If you can't read then 2 hours of DVD spread over 2 different Barra dams should give you enough visual clues to work the rest out yourself. Surely lots of guys on here picked up these clues on the DVD if not the book or articles or free threads to the tune of 20 000 words. If not there is only 1 thing left for you to do.

Pumping for Info: If you want the gold nuggets put under your bed well then use some of the money from the cartons of beer drank per year or money spent on rods, reels and lures (Thousands) & put it towards a session with JM, Harro or Dolan etc. No worries here i'm cool writing this. Just make sure you are aware of what you are asking when asking a question on the net and expecting everything for free for 5 years straight, which some people have forgotten is not a god given right on the net.

A good bloke once said to me " You can't teach people that don't want to
    learn".

This thread is excellent and has the potential to be one of the best on here. Thankyou to everyone who has helped someone out in this thread.

Cheers Lyndon.
    A good bloke once told me 'you cant put brains in monuments' too

Thanks for the info, and believe me we appreciate what the guys who derive a living from fishing add to these forums in any form. You dont have to do it, but you guys do...good things come to those who do good.

Dick, I have often wondered about long term casting/fishing injuries.....usually we only worry about injuries sustained from the wife when we get home to late from fishing too often.

In seriousness, I manage not to suffer too much fatigue or pain after big sessions....for now...depends on the long term I spose. I too am also keen to hear of other injury and RSI injuries from their long sessions casting.....Now theres a topic not discussed very much.

I do concentrate on timing and effort inceasingly more over past year.. As a paramedic, we learn and practice plenty of balance and lifting techniques etc and how to catch someone who collapses without breaking your back!!!...its learn or have a f&%ked back for life.....Its quite amazing to watch 60kg women lifting 120+kg men off the ground using simple balance and weight shifting methods...I know its off the subject but has some relevance to fine tuning casting/retrieving to fully utilise you momentum and timing to gain max distance with minimal resistance. I probably havent give as much time to this topic as I should have over the years.but if you add up the decreased fatigue, you increase the number of possible casts in a day + the extra distance created by correct technique and accuracy = lure in right zone, and in the water for way way way longer each day = more chance of fish before you even get into all other aspects.!!!!!

cheers Steve

Hi Nath good to hear from you.

I disagree, there is info pumping that goes on and i thought it was maybe time for a line in the sand where spoon feeding stops and our own thinking and tinkering starts, i thought it was just fair. When it's someones business and they have done more than most to help for free i reckon the rent is more than paid in 20 000 words plus.

The love of fishing and things being passed down is right, but off track on this thread. It goes back to the first thread, if you are in fishing to learn as much as possible or just happy to fish most of the time and not learn as much. The confusion between these 2 is where things break down, i think many want to think they want to learn but don't really want to have a good hard look at themselves or do the hard work. (Gold nuggets).

You are right, fishing with family is one of the best things we can do.

No arguement there they are special times, but this thread isn't about that.
    You and i have both seen people on this thread who have complained about problems with regards to their fishing. You have even talked to me about it at length.

I've spotted stacks of awesome tips in this thread. What handy stuff have you spotted that you might learn from? Do you have any helpfull info to add for everyone to use as your a smart guy Nath and as the footy show says " Give us something?

Dale yeah how good is Fitz and Harro. It was great watching those 2 at work at Awoonga on a cold morning. I had a ball and didn't even feel the need to cast a lure. I wonder how many miss these opportunities yet live relatively close by.
    I haven't even mentioned Harro's take on casting which was just magic to the ears around the campsite. Fitzy has some good ideas about rod delivery as well he has already covered a while back. Your a lucky guy to have shared time with these guys.

Research: To run with Steve's & Dicks last thread about lifting positions, movement and muscle wear and tear. I wonder how many guys and girls on here get sore shoulders and elbows or a sore back from fishing? I'd be interested to know as i get a good dose of rod shoulder and i saw a sportsman have a bad elbow for 6 months after a full on casting trip. Have you been injured when fishing e.g. casting?

Cheers Lyndon.

Steve & Lyndon ..... I'll put my hand up
    Basically a form of RSI towards the end of last years barra tour ........ After the best part of 3 weeks of solid casting it got to a point where I could not lift a litre bottle of water above horizontal & then bend the elbow ....... bloody painful & the best part of 4 months to overcome the pain
    Apparently the repetition & constant pressure of the grip on the bottom (left) hand .
    Strangely it didn't stop me from fishing ...... fairly pain free.
    However even now .... if I stretch my arm out to the horizontal plane & then try to crush a can ..... I can still feel the pain in the elbow .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO