Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Spin Gear for barra

Re: Spin Gear for barra

I used to play golf pretty good as a young bloke,then I got bamboozled by technique, tried to fiddle with the backswing,weight transfer etc..etc.By the end of it i was flat out hitting a ball. Moral to the tale; Don't get technical,enjoy what you're doing and it will happen.Lifes too short for all the complexity(good word
    You're all catching damn good fish whats the problem??
    Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMark View Post
    I used to play golf pretty good as a young bloke,then I got bamboozled by technique, tried to fiddle with the backswing,weight transfer etc..etc.By the end of it i was flat out hitting a ball. Moral to the tale; Don't get technical,enjoy what you're doing and it will happen.Lifes too short for all the complexity(good word
    Paulo
    Paul....... That is the smartest piece of advise I have heard for a long time.....I totally agree.......Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

I suffer from fairly severe OOS in my right wrist. Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. I've been wearing a cast on my wrist at night, on and off for 4 years now. The doc would like to operate, but that would put me out of fishing for a minimum of 6 weeks, so that's not an option. At the end of a big day casting, I frequently drop things, and the morning after see's me wake up with a numb hand, and unable to clench a fist. This is why I break up my day with casting with both baitcaster and threadline, a bit of fly work, which is really hard on the wrist, and a bit of trolling. I lost one of Paul Dolan's $75 ES lures a couple of years ago because my wrist locked up mid cast. Sorry Paul. I'm off to New Guinea in a bit over a week for 9 days full on fishing. The recovery of my wrist will probably take six months as it did last year. Then there's my shoulder and back, but I think they are just due to age. Ostioarthritis in the lower back has been worsening for about 5 years, and a good casting seat up the bow helps this. Geez, the old body has gone to the pack over the years, but I can't blame it all on fishing.

I get a painful burning left elbow joint whilst lake barra fishing, and a dead shoulder from spanish mac fishing with a rope line. RSI?,,,,, or i'm just plain and simply too skinny and stick man like to be doing either!
    JM

A bit like Taxes and Death.....both guaranteed....I hear what your saying Dale a combination of Days gone by and age......The shoulder and wrist are still holding up but the old back gives me some curry....find my self sitting down at times casting.....I guess we deal with it the best way we can....sure as hell not going to give up Fishing
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    I get a painful burning left elbow joint whilst lake barra fishing, and a dead shoulder from spanish mac fishing with a rope line. RSI?,,,,, or i'm just plain and simply too skinny and stick man like to be doing either!
    JM
    That left elbow should be pretty good at the moment then But that Shoulder would be giving you hell

Yep, well rested. The mind is refreshed, and much has been achieved in the world outside Awoonga town in the last 6 weeks. I'll post a link to some footage Trev that highlights why my left elbow is no longer sore this winter. I reckon you may have sore eyes after watching it.............close your mouth Trev, you're drooling!

Paulo
    And I'm quite sure that Tiger Woods adopted that same approach.

Paulo
    Hi Paulo yes i've seen that. However on Ausfish there are thousands of keep it simple threads to read, we read them daily and they dominate the herd. It's just that in this thread we have a chance to do some real thinking, to balance out all the keep it simple threads as with most things if you are seeking to improve, it's rarely simple.

We start even the most complex sporting plans with a 1,2,3 plan. A simple entry into a lifetime of work. Start at level 1, but in fishing i see this breakdown and skipped for level ten done poorly. See post 3 etc.

One Of The Worst Years In Impoundment Barra History

When you say " Your'e all catching damn good fish what's the problem??"

Well that couldn't be further from the truth, it's been the hardest time any of the guys i know can remember on barra dams since last October to the tune of even guides getting donuts, tournament winning anglers at times going 6 trips in a row that are fishless and so on. Awoonga has been horrendous. Even Peter Faust Dam dished up 100+ x 6 hour donut sessions to the tournament guys in pre-fish and comp. Hard fishing in anyones language.

Keeping it simple has delivered thousands of donuts since October, but i guess this info has been kept quiet if i'm the first to break it. It's not all happy days on barra dams these days, hence the need for this thread.

This gives us a choice. To think and work on tactics & help each other, like this thread or to throw the anchors out by people blocking learning and to travel down a learning highway on a steamroller rather than a V8. I think it would be unfair to only travel at the pace of the slowest cattle in the mob. There are plenty of threads doing this but now and then some cattle that jump the fence and think outside the square should get a chance to help without being held back by people telling them to slow down. It's almost as if some don't want people to achieve anything in life or on the net as it takes them outside their comfort zone. (To think).

All we ask is to have one thread now and then where we can speed up learning and not travel at the slowest coacher in the mobs pace. Hell this is just how we talk around the fireplace at Awoonga, and if we are not allowed to do that on here it's news to me.

At the end of the day if the slow coachers in the mob don't want the people trying to help to interact & post their info online for free then it might result in people that want to learn getting driven away by those that don't.

As said on page 1.

If your goal isn't to think much than this thread isn't or you.

If you like to think a bit more and advance things now and then, then this is a perfect opportunity to interact with something positive to help people. This thread isn't about the love of fishing or family. It's about thinking a bit more to help others and Nagg has started it so hat's off to him. If anyone wants to argue instead of helping just pm me, but please try and post helpfull ideas for everyone to learn from. This might be a good idea from now on?

Whitto and Paulo what do you guys think of your spin setups? Let's talk about that. What mods have you done to make the setups better etc any tips?

Cheers Lyndon

Do any Certate owners care to share their rod to reel setup i'm interested in them as i've heard they are a gem of a reel?

Did you have to buy a couple of rods to get the right combo?

How long and what rating was the rod?

Cheers Lyndon.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    I suffer from fairly severe OOS in my right wrist. Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. I've been wearing a cast on my wrist at night, on and off for 4 years now. The doc would like to operate, but that would put me out of fishing for a minimum of 6 weeks, so that's not an option. At the end of a big day casting, I frequently drop things, and the morning after see's me wake up with a numb hand, and unable to clench a fist. This is why I break up my day with casting with both baitcaster and threadline, a bit of fly work, which is really hard on the wrist, and a bit of trolling. I lost one of Paul Dolan's $75 ES lures a couple of years ago because my wrist locked up mid cast. Sorry Paul. I'm off to New Guinea in a bit over a week for 9 days full on fishing. The recovery of my wrist will probably take six months as it did last year. Then there's my shoulder and back, but I think they are just due to age. Ostioarthritis in the lower back has been worsening for about 5 years, and a good casting seat up the bow helps this. Geez, the old body has gone to the pack over the years, but I can't blame it all on fishing.
    You are lucky you are not a horse Dale, or we would be calling you Beefy by now.

Sounds like an awful juggling act for you. Hope all comes good. Perhaps if you have the op, six weeks out ain't such a bad thing in the grand scheme of things.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    JM
    Too skinny and definitely a stick man Johnny I can certainly give you sound advice on how to fix that. You have obviously been listening to too many diet gurus

I used to be fit, just changed one letter .

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    Do any Certate owners care to share their rod to reel setup i'm interested in them as i've heard they are a gem of a reel?

Did you have to buy a couple of rods to get the right combo?

How long and what rating was the rod?

Cheers Lyndon.
    Hi Lyndon

Yes, I do love my Certate but don't use it as much as the Branzino these days. I have the Certate 3500 HD Custom (spooled with 35lb YGK).

It sits beneath a Pro Blue Loomis (PBR843S) which is a 7' spin stick essentially. It is rated 6-12kg.

The combo used to be (and still is) my snapper plastics outfit and is perfectly suited to that purpose, but I have since enlisted it for barra duty as well. But if I had my time over again, would I purchase the same combo......no way.

The Loomis is a little gung ho for my liking. To me, it is slightly ungainly and cumbersome to hang onto and cast all day. Although the Certate is perfectly matched to this rod, I would definitely downsize to the 3000 model. Eric's B8-5 or 8-6, or his Barra Spin stick would be a good marriage for it for sure.......silky smooth drag, Saltiga gearing......it is a piece of work mate.

I think JM has a smaller Certate, which you would know, Eric G I believe uses the 4000, and Ben and Navi also use the 3500 HD Custom.

Cheers
    Paul

Ren,

Balance in a combo doesn't involve its integrated fine tuned balance with the stubbie in your other hand.

I have had a throw of a certate hypercustom 4000....very very smooth reel yes, but I didnt really like it. I found it too big and broad diametre spool. Mabey the 3000 size would be better....it would no doubt be up to the task. I found it very similar to your brazino that day....just a bit solid for the job....no doubt about the quality though. I like my daiwa and shimano baitcasters, but I have always found a better, more comfortable feeling personally with shimano spin....in all ranges from stradic/saros 1000 for bass through to the saragosa 4000 for barra...its obviously a personal thing, but I just have never enjoyed daiwa spin reels....I think the sol would be mabey an exception as it appears to have a narrower diameter spool....but I cant comment, as I have never used one.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Ren,

Balance in a combo doesn't involve its integrated fine tuned balance with the stubbie in your other hand.

Steve
    Years of practice Steve....years of practice.........the stubby has mostly evaporated by the time I cast though