Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Spin Gear for barra

Re: Spin Gear for barra

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    ,,,,,,,,yea Paul, but surprisingly, a beer can or a rum can weighs the same forever, no fatigue involved.
    No fatigue, but a little tiredness Johnny
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    ,,,,,,,,yea Paul, but surprisingly, a beer can or a rum can weighs the same forever, no fatigue involved.
    & the beauty is ....... drink some & it just gets lighter
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    & the beauty is ....... drink some & it just gets lighter
    Go to a Smokemart and buy one of those helmuts with 2 cans attached and drink the content through a straw.....Therefore eliminating any unneccessary fatigue.....
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

OK ...... Here is my dilemma

I'm a natural left hander who swings right handed

When I cast double handed ..... I cast over my right shoulder (left hand on the bottom grip - right hand above.

So thats fine for the cast

Unfortunately for me - at the completion of the cast ...... I have to transfer my bottom hand to gripping the handle with the stem of the reel between the 3rd & 4th fingers ...... & wind with my right hand - I feel I can control the fishing rod better in my left hand.
    I can tell you this is really inefficient & I've thought about winding with my left hand avoiding that clumsy change of position.

****I do the same when double handed baitcasting - but its much more efficient with the changeover made easy by the hand position ( close together during the cast) The changeover is usually completed by touchdown ****

Does anyone else have this type of issue & do you just wind with your other hand ? ....... Is it better to control the fishing rod with your natural hand ???? - I know it would be a big change for me & like learning to walk all over again

Chris

So
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thumbs up Re: Spin Gear for barra

When I cast double handed ..... I cast over my right shoulder (left hand on the bottom grip - right hand above.

Unfortunately for me - at the completion of the cast ...... I have to transfer my bottom hand to gripping the handle with the stem of the reel between the 3rd & 4th fingers ...... & wind with my right hand - I feel I can control the fishing rod better in my left hand.
    I can tell you this is really inefficient & I've thought about winding with my left hand avoiding that clumsy change of position.

****I do the same when double handed baitcasting - but its much more efficient with the changeover made easy by the hand position ( close together during the cast) The changeover is usually completed by touchdown ****

Does anyone else have this type of issue & do you just wind with your other hand ? ....... Is it better to control the fishing rod with your natural hand ???? - I know it would be a big change for me & like learning to walk all over again

Chris

So
    Doesn't everyone do that? I do.
    Only left handers are in there right mind .

Chris I have used a left handed outfit and it doesn't take long to adapt. Get on if you can and give it a go. Old story but you have to persist but being ambidextrous you can do it!

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Chris

So
    I was setting up a little Loomis spin stick for wild bass last night and thought, perhaps I should put the reel handle on the left side of the reel and hold the rod with my right. As the lures can get hit quite quickly after the cast. I tried it and gave it a few flicks and did not like it one bit. I quickly put the reel handle back on the right side again.
    I liked the action I could impart on the light lures as my right arm could control the rod a little smoother but winding left handed just felt so foreign to me.
    It might work for others but I have trouble walking and thinking at the same time.
    So shines a good deed in a weary world
    - William S Shakespeare and William S Wonka_

Quote Originally Posted by Little grey men View Post
    I was setting up a little Loomis spin stick for wild bass last night and thought, perhaps I should put the reel handle on the left side of the reel and hold the rod with my right. As the lures can get hit quite quickly after the cast. I tried it and gave it a few flicks and did not like it one bit. I quickly put the reel handle back on the right side again.
    I liked the action I could impart on the light lures as my right arm could control the rod a little smoother but winding left handed just felt so foreign to me.
    It might work for others but I have trouble walking and thinking at the same time.
    Its a muscle memory thing, try it for an hour or so and you'll get used to it. In saying that i wind right handed, i do too much hhs not too.

Oh in addition i can double hand cast spin gear with either right and left hand on top. It has several benifits. Firstly when just snag bashing i can go left hand on top and have a smoother change over from casting to winding. Secondly i can cast at any angle without having to back hand cast, very useful for when in a canoe. Thirdly, when going for distance or hss i can use my dominant right hand to wind with and also gain extra distance by casting with my right hand on top. And finally i found learning to cast left handed easier than learning to wind left handed, this way i have nothing but benifits and versitility where as winding with your left hand as a right hander is only a benifit sometimes.

oddly enough while all my reels are right hand retrieve, i cast right handed for baitcasting and left handed for spinning. for me best of both worlds. its quicker/easier to make the cast right handed with the baitcaster, then palm reel with left hand while cranking over handle at completion of cast. i can cast the BC left handed but i have to then move my left hand up from the rear grip to the reel.

conversely with spin i find it totally efficient to cast left handed as of course the postion of the left hand doesn't change from cast to retrieve

i'm a little cross wired though, while i'm predominantly right handed ie writing, tennis, golf, i throw a ball left handed, kick a footy left footed but shoot basketball right handed. i'm also fairly decent at everything on my 'weaker' sides so while i wouldn't consider myself ambidextrous i'm not far off...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
    Its a muscle memory thing, try it for an hour or so and you'll get used to it. In saying that i wind right handed, i do too much hhs not too.
    Muscle memory hey ? yeh I remember having muscles a long time ago.
    I might give it another go tonight Jeremy, I really did like the movement I was getting out of the rod.....good for jerkbaits and really light plastics. Not to mention topwater stuff.
    I guess the best way would be just to change the handle and go for a good bass session, and stick with it.
    So shines a good deed in a weary world
    - William S Shakespeare and William S Wonka_

[quote=NAGG;1046368]OK ...... Here is my dilemma

Chris

Gday Chris,
    I am a natural right hander but play cricket,golf etc left handed.Always have.Not sure why just feels right.I cast same as yourself but wind spin gear with my left hand now.I had same problem changing hands.Didnt feel right.Pain in the ass.It took a bit to get used to but i couldnt fish any other way now.I think getting used to rod control was hardest bit.ie twitching HBs and striking fish etc.Mates think im weird(probably right!! )but it just feels better.If you are still thinking of buying a new spin rod have a look at ATC range.TackleWorld shops.Good rods for the dollars.I have been using the ATC Hardstick Fastspin 7" 4-8kg for about a 18 months.Been good.Had to change stripper guide to a bigger one to suit my reel and put on a better butt cap.Something else to look at anyway Tight lines.
    Dan.

[quote=SQUIDDA;1047051]

Chris

Gday Chris,
    I am a natural right hander but play cricket,golf etc left handed.Always have.Not sure why just feels right.I cast same as yourself but wind spin gear with my left hand now.I had same problem changing hands.Didnt feel right.Pain in the ass.It took a bit to get used to but i couldnt fish any other way now.I think getting used to rod control was hardest bit.ie twitching HBs and striking fish etc.Mates think im weird(probably right!! )but it just feels better.If you are still thinking of buying a new spin rod have a look at ATC range.TackleWorld shops.Good rods for the dollars.I have been using the ATC Hardstick Fastspin 7" 4-8kg for about a 18 months.Been good.Had to change stripper guide to a bigger one to suit my reel and put on a better butt cap.Something else to look at anyway Tight lines.
    Dan.
    Thanks Dan

Rod control is the hardest part ...... specially when my dexterity in my right hand is much worst ....... but I'll certainly try it over the next few trips.

As for the rods ..... I'll have a look at the ATC ( I think I have before) - The thing is i'm not looking for a 7ft distance casting rod ...... My search is for an intermediate rod that I can control & work lighter presentations..... So its going to be 6"6"-8" tippy but still have enough backbone to control a fish....

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

[quote=NAGG;1047087]
    Quote Originally Posted by SQUIDDA View Post

Thanks Dan

Rod control is the hardest part ...... specially when my dexterity in my right hand is much worst ....... but I'll certainly try it over the next few trips.

As for the rods ..... I'll have a look at the ATC ( I think I have before) - The thing is i'm not looking for a 7ft distance casting rod ...... My search is for an intermediate rod that I can control & work lighter presentations..... So its going to be 6"6"-8" tippy but still have enough backbone to control a fish....

Chris
    just make sure you don't have unrealistic expectations for the rod. to use lighter presentations effectively everything must be lighter. the rod, line, leader etc which means you will not be dictating terms to a big fish...therefore there is no need to have a rod with a massive amount of grunt relative to its tip, as something else will fail..key is balance.

you appear to have something against custom rod builders, but they are there for a reason. when anglers such as yourself and many others on this board push the limits/think outside the box to gain the upper hand then often there isn't the tool for job available off the shelf.

i have researched and built a rod for a similair purpose to what you appear to require, but as a baitcaster (as such the reel has been modified with a tuned, lightweight spool) i use it to present lightly weighted plastics such as the resin head stealth prawns to finicky barra. essentially a bream technique, bit of shake, slight belly in the line, watch for movement, lightning fast hookset and its on! as such i set certain parameters to what was needed in terms of length, action, modulus etc. and feel the goals were achieved in this particular instance. PM if you want to discuss....

[quote=wheezer;1047646]

just make sure you don't have unrealistic expectations for the rod. to use lighter presentations effectively everything must be lighter. the rod, line, leader etc which means you will not be dictating terms to a big fish...therefore there is no need to have a rod with a massive amount of grunt relative to its tip, as something else will fail..key is balance.

you appear to have something against custom rod builders, but they are there for a reason. when anglers such as yourself and many others on this board push the limits/think outside the box to gain the upper hand then often there isn't the tool for job available off the shelf.

i have researched and built a rod for a similair purpose to what you appear to require, but as a baitcaster (as such the reel has been modified with a tuned, lightweight spool) i use it to present lightly weighted plastics such as the resin head stealth prawns to finicky barra. essentially a bream technique, bit of shake, slight belly in the line, watch for movement, lightning fast hookset and its on! as such i set certain parameters to what was needed in terms of length, action, modulus etc. and feel the goals were achieved in this particular instance. PM if you want to discuss....
    Andrew Andrew Andrew ....... way off the mark bud !!!! I'm more disappointed with the off the shelf products ..... Nothing so far has got me excited ! -
    On the other hand , I have nothing but admiration for good custom rod builders ..... I've had made for me specials in years gone by ...... or made them my self - just too lazy these days & got rid of my gear! . So , more than likely my spin stick will be a custom job ...... & I will tick tac with you for sure )
    I have a pretty realistic idea of what I want from my spin stick ...... It certainly wont be a jig stick

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well , I'm still not convinced.
    I keep hearing about all the advantages offered over baitcast gear ........ but I'm yet to really see / experience them - & certainly not enough to make me put down my favourite baitcasters.

With the exception of burning frogs ..... My baitcasters still rule the roost ( ease of use , comfort & ergonomics )

The features of a spin stick that makes for a good casting rod (handle & rod length) detract from the ability to work the outfit (IMHO) ..... I certainly wouldn't want to be hopping plastics or twitching HBs all day with a spin outfit .

I know I'll be shouted down from great heights over my opinion ....... Thats OK

Cheers

Chris

PS ... Yes .... If I was taking a novice barra fishing ..... I'd hand them my spin outfit

Hi All

This was a really good thread ...... with some awesome opinions & advice

Well - I've spent the last few trips throwing a spin stick more & more ...... with the culmination being last weekends trip where l used the spin gear predominantly.
    Now while I'm still not casting a spin rod as accurately as my baitcast gear - I continued / forced myself to use it by tyeing my favourite plastic - now to quote Lyndon , clearly my rod is not a delivery tool ( not for small plastics) however once a fish was hooked it was fine....... open water fish fighting (SWEET)
    However........ & I'm interested in your thoughts here

I found that spin gear was inefficient when used in close quarter fights in tight timbered country - its not easy to back off & reapply pressure in those situation where we have a fish that is rampaging with quick direction changes ( rod work / angles alone was insufficient when using only 20lb braid)..... where as it is so much easier to thumb & freespool quickly with baitcast tackle .

Other than that - spin gear was fine

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO