Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Spin Gear for barra

Re: Spin Gear for barra

double post

Regardless of when spin apparently became mainstream in freshwater tournament stream is inconsequential. The point is that it has been used and has been capable for a very long time of catching barra, wether it be baiting in estuaries, casting at snags or making long casts at points. On many occasions anglers have chosen them over b/cast and there must be a reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post
    No its not Chris, There's a heap of info in this thread that is directly applicable to barramundi across the board. To suggest exclusivity would be to reduce your input base and that would be a mistake.
    Totally agree. Limit the field limit the learning. For some reason this thread has gone down the road of distance. Is this the only benifit of spin tackle? What if we look at the perspective of spin as a delivery tool for snag bashing? What are the cost/benifits of using a short stiff spin outfit over a bcast in this situation. I know there was talk a while ago about bottom jigging barra, what are the benifits here? I think what we can probably conclude so far from all of this is not that spin is "better", but that it has become a viable alternative.

A good point Jeremy, I think fish holdability (that being, encouraging a fish to stay away from the timber) is a bout six of one half dozen of another between the two systems for me but when a barra does make a mistake being able to capitalise on that by gaining line quickly is more effective with spin. Every half metre you gain can make a difference when you only have a couple to play with.

The trick is to try and get the fish to make the mistake in the first place so you can take the advantage.

Hi Jeremy

Distance Its certainly not the criteria that I'm mainly interested in ....... But it is often the reason why someone chooses a spin rod - I just wanted to do my own side by side comparison ....... for the record

I'm sure that someone has used an offshore spin jig rod to catch barra.

I'm now getting a better idea of what I would want out of a spin rod ..... Its certainly not on the racks of tackle stores

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Thats a nice looking combo paul, except the handle appears to be on the wrong side

I like to use about 40cm of leader, I think others prefer it longer. I use the slim beauty knot...I havent had it fail, and it seems to slip through the runners with minimal fuss, noise or damage. Its pretty easy to tie too.

Cheers Steve
    Yeah ok,I'm a molly duker.I ought to open a leftorium hey(Flanders is dead).
    The combo is a nice balance Steve,don't know much about the Avaya rods one of the guys up here has been using one succesfully for Golden trevs.So,hopefully it will be ok.
    Paulo.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I'm now getting a better idea of what I would want out of a spin rod ..... Its certainly not on the racks of tackle stores
    For sure. The tapers for alot of lightweight spin sticks are not made for big hardbodies, and the ones that are are often quite bulky and won't match a small reel. Look for a blank rather than a finished product.

Clearly you have spent alot of time putting together highly tuned casting tools for specific applications. I think if you approach the purchase of a spin outfit as a novelty purchase for the sake of adding a spin outfit to your collection your inevitably going to end up disappionted and it will put you off spin for good. I think your approach should be looking at a particular luring application that you feel you cannot address adequately with your current arsenal, and then searching for a rod that suits. Look at both spin and casting rods and see which comes up trumps. Odds are since you already have so many casting sticks the spin will come up trumps.

[quote=PaulMark;1045043]Yeah ok,I'm a molly duker.I ought to open a leftorium hey(Flanders is dead).
    The combo is a nice balance Steve,don't know much about the Avaya rods one of the guys up here has been using one succesfully for Golden trevs.So,hopefully it will be ok.
    Paulo.[/quot

Paulo, if it feels good, and the rod can handle the trevs of hervey bay..than its all good for the barra mate....give it a shot....Being a molly duker is all good...I am one too when it comes to most things....casting rods, batting in cricket, golf etc is all right handed...I am all over the shop

Cheers Steve

It just get better.... The mods should make a section on this site devoted to just Barra fishing? then post like this will be easy to locate and search through....

Nagg mate you are a man of many questions, just one thing mate is you mentioned about the extra butt length is annoying and slaps your arm well just in that maybe fish with the rod across body so the butt moves away the the left or right depending on you retive side?

Also I have been toying with the idea of with the longer butted rod due to the better handing in a fight making a slight pistol type grip closer to the rods end to so you dont need to wind in the general spin grip position but simular to that of a BC.....

In this lies the question of rod mods what changes to the basic rod layout can be added , removed to make this style of fishing better across the board???

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    It just get better.... The mods should make a section on this site devoted to just Barra fishing? then post like this will be easy to locate and search through....

Nagg mate you are a man of many questions, just one thing mate is you mentioned about the extra butt length is annoying and slaps your arm well just in that maybe fish with the rod across body so the butt moves away the the left or right depending on you retive side?

Also I have been toying with the idea of with the longer butted rod due to the better handing in a fight making a slight pistol type grip closer to the rods end to so you dont need to wind in the general spin grip position but simular to that of a BC.....

In this lies the question of rod mods what changes to the basic rod layout can be added , removed to make this style of fishing better across the board???
    Hi Nath

Maybe its just me ...... but I like the rod tip pointed in the direction of the lure during the retrieve ( if not straight at it) ....... I find it easier to strike & set hooks - Something that I found through my breamin ( If I'm really really on the ball ..... I can strike the opposite direction of the line movement - which can also assist in the hook up rate

As for rod modifications / design ...... Steve Bs new S10(light) split grip - was getting close ( certainly the shorter blank length & taper) ....... it was very butt heavy .... but with the removal of half the cork & dropping the real seat back 2-3" ...... It could be sweet ( capable of light presentations & even heavier ones) - yet compact enough to let you feel that you are in control of a fish - - - Matched with a 3000 size reel

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

keep asking the questions Chris, theres no right or wrong, my way is better than yours crap, to date near 3000 LOOKERS WITH INDIVIDUAL STYLES, TECHNIQUES, BUDGETS AND EXPECTATIONS prove that, good stuff!

Daryl, did you row when you were at college??????????

You must be getting toey Brian ...... whats that - a month since your last shot at the chromed ones

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    You must be getting toey Brian ...... whats that - a month since your last shot at the chromed ones

Chris

yup, have I ever mentioned to you how much I detest work

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    yup, have I ever mentioned to you how much I detest work
    I think you may have mentioned something along that line - so when do you think you'll get up there next ?
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

We will continue your dilemma on Friday night near a Fire and a Beverage or 10......I have a plan to have you using your own Spin outfit before the Muster
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Talking to Steve B and Nathan (Tropical Trout) on the phone this week and they have both loved this thread and like me learn't a few things. JM has been out working on things as well so there you go this thread has been a success for all levels no matter what your budget.

Some of us wanted a tangible e.g. actual figures on the oval to see what our gear can do so we don't just have opinion in this thread that's all. It wasn't a comp ok. Then we hit the water chasing lots of different species of fish several times this week. Not all of us have been on the sofa all week.

To say we are just oval casting is way off the mark, in fact one guy is doing double sessions a day on barra for the next 14 days using stuff from this thread.
    He and his mates will do more sessions of barra fishing than any impoundment guide in the state in the next couple of weeks.

And another used this helpfull info all over North Queensland and the Northern Territory for several months of fishing. Oval casting was still a usefull part of this equation as it quickly sorted things out in a blunt factual manner.

Ausfish is not Twitter or Facebook.

It's a fishing site, so to limit thinking on a fishing thread (Spin) defeats the puprose of having a fishing web site. If you are a person that doesn't like, or want to learn more, just go to a chat thread. If your learning is maxed out then join facebook or twitter. But don't road block learning.

For the record i've had beers several times with Chris, Daryle, Steve, Nath, Whitto and many of the guys on this thread so there is on stress at all between us. We will be having having plenty more fishing trips together and some healthy debate around the campfire hopefully.

Cheers Lyndon.