Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Am planning a trip with friends in late August 2009 up to Fraser Island. I intend towing my Camel Camper Trailer.

I have travelled to Fraser before however in a large 4WD and never towed up there. From you experienced guys, how do you think the Suzuki will go towing the camper up as far as Dundaburra where I intend camping?

The camper has an off road suspension and I have always made the claim that it will go anywhere the Suzuki will however have never towed on sand before.

Would be interested in peoples thoughts and experiences towing on the beach in a smaller 4WD. Photo of the rig below.

Re: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

You shouldn't have any trouble getting to your destination Derek.

Be mindful at Inskip Point getting on and off the barge. That is the only area I can see issues. I think with reduced tyre pressure you should be OK.

I like to reduce tyre pressure in the trailer wheels as well.

If you like, once you hit the hard sand round Hook Point, you could re-inflate the tyres.

But, if it rains a day or two before you go, the sand will compact nicely and make for a trouble free run.

Some areas inland will require caution and possible tyre deflation, if you intend sight seeing in that direction. Some tracks are also not too friendly towards the low to medium clearance vehicles.

Enjoy your trip, nice time of year to go up there.

All winds should be coming over your shoulder and the beaches will be great.

Cheers Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 02-07-2009 at 07:17 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

G'day,

That trailer looks like it was built to go behind something with higher clearance and a longer wheelbase than the Vitara. The trailer load appears to be well forward of the trailer axle and that means a fair bit may be on the towball.

Sand is unforgiving stuff and always gets you into strife in the worst possible place at the worst possible time.

I suggest that you load up car and trailer and take it over a weighbridge and get axle loads and towball loads. If the towball load is too high you will have to move the trailer axle forward. If it checks out OK I suggest buying a new towbar insert to lift the nose of the trailer up about 50mm so the long drawbar doesn't become a plough.

Try to keep GCM (car and trailer) at 30% below manufacturers maximum for this kind of work. Expect a horrific increase in fuel burn on sand - like 300%.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

White Pointer

If the trailer has the same track as the car it will be a lot easier on the whole setup.

Quote Originally Posted by White Pointer View Post
    G'day,

That trailer looks like it was built to go behind something with higher clearance and a longer wheelbase than the Vitara. The trailer load appears to be well forward of the trailer axle and that means a fair bit may be on the towball.

Sand is unforgiving stuff and always gets you into strife in the worst possible place at the worst possible time.

I suggest that you load up car and trailer and take it over a weighbridge and get axle loads and towball loads. If the towball load is too high you will have to move the trailer axle forward. If it checks out OK I suggest buying a new towbar insert to lift the nose of the trailer up about 50mm so the long drawbar doesn't become a plough.

Try to keep GCM (car and trailer) at 30% below manufacturers maximum for this kind of work. Expect a horrific increase in fuel burn on sand - like 300%.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

White Pointer
    Weight balance ratio is right. Must be the way you are looking at it. Interesting that you see it that way as when that pic was taken the trailer was empty as was the water tank.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    If the trailer has the same track as the car it will be a lot easier on the whole setup.
    The trailer was built to have the same track as the Suzi, so no problems there.

Thanks for the comments.

I think the problem might be the low profile tyres. I'm guessing they are 225/65R17 or something like that?? Might not give you much extra tyre on the sand at 18psi (and I'd be wary of going lower).
    Has it got recovery points on the front? I would say if you get stuck a quick snatch should see you through anyway.
    I've not been up there recently but there was talk of a few patches of exposed rocks. Could cause a bit of trouble with clearance, possibly.

I am with phil on this one. Getting the camper trailer to Dundaburra should be a breeze. Head on dead low tide and its hard sand almost all the way. Inskip is probably the only tough spot, but normally it has a good set of hard tracks all the way to the barge.

You can take a car on the beach at full low tide so noworries there. Suzi's weigh nothing and skip across the sand, but loaded... Your only problems will be getting off the hard stuff to your campsite and exposed rocks. If your camping at dundubara youll have to cross eli creek and that changes from year to year. Over my bonnet 1 year to upto the hubs the next. And if your camping at the dundubara camping ground you'll have to go up the steep boards (Maybe another potensial there). Id just make sure you hit it at FULL low tide and you should be alright.

The Suzukis are a great 4WD, don't be put off just because it isn't a 'Cruiser etc. You shouldn't have a problem Derek, let your tyres down and just go steady. If the Zuke is a petrol, just keep the rpm in the working range and you will be more than impressed. The new diesel Zukes are an awesome weapon too.
    Enjoy your holiday.
    Tim

It will be extremely difficult to move the axle forward as the shackle mounts are welded to the frame. It's not a set up like a boat trailer.

Derek if you do need to adjust the weight on the drawbar, then pack your trailer accordingly. The easiest way would be to fill the water tank and beg, borrow or steal a decent set of scales and find out exactly how much weight on the drawbar before you pack the trailer.
    The clearance on the trailer doesn't really need to be much higher than the clearance on your car....

Good luck.

Wags

Yes but exactly how much clearance will he have when loaded. Doesnt look like much at all from the photo. Getting on and off the hard stuff will be extremely difficult if body clearance/diffing out towing a trailer. And its hard to make your own track and stay out of the ruts. Might be lucky

That trailer doesnt look that big but in relation to the truck it is.

Hi Derek,

If you are worried, I am sure that we could organise a run up to Northshore with a few cars and you can see how you go with the entry and exit! I am hanging out for a beach run.

Are you travelling up to Frazer with anyone else?

Phill
    All I want is to catch MORE legal fish!

Go to bribie, its closer. But im sure there will be tonnes of people willing to help if you get stuck.

go to fraser mate, you'll have a ball. Whats the worst that can happen if you take care and all the precautions.....you get stuck and someone tows you out...no biggy. Its suprising how well new cars do on the sand. Yes they haven't got 5ft of clearance under them, but hey how often do you really need it...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bullock View Post
    Weight balance ratio is right. Must be the way you are looking at it. Interesting that you see it that way as when that pic was taken the trailer was empty as was the water tank.

The trailer was built to have the same track as the Suzi, so no problems there.

Thanks for the comments.
    G'day,

Might be the photo of the way my PC is showing it.

Check with a tyre dealer like Bob Jane about lowering pressure on passenger rated tyres and speed limitations. Passenger rated tyres are vulnerable to side wall failure and breaking the bead if pressures are reduced too much.

Low profile tyres don't lend themselves to lower pressures. The purpose of lowering pressure is to lengthen the tread, not widen it. That's why old 750/16 and 235x85/16 tyres work so well. Drop them from 45psi to around 20psi and the tread lengthens by about 30% with little increase in width and the sidewalls can take it if speed is kept low.

Have fun.

Regards,

White Pointer