Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Re: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

JB, if you dont have anything decent to say. Then dont. Instead of putting up crap like that. Its not constructive in any way. And by the way this is the 4wdoffroad section.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantren View Post
    Thanks for the vid wosdam.
    What time of year is that? Is it always that busy?
    That was easter weekend this year. This was our second trip. Our first was Christmas 08, it was busy then, too. I'm not sure whats like there on 'normal' weekends.

Where abouts on the island was the video footage taken. Going over in Jan with a mate in an X-Trial. I will be taking a 2006 Navara. Will be interesting to see how he goes.
    And has anyone driven Byfiled Nat Pk. That is some serious sand driving.

Quote Originally Posted by jclay1773 View Post
    Where abouts on the island was the video footage taken. Going over in Jan with a mate in an X-Trial. I will be taking a 2006 Navara. Will be interesting to see how he goes.
    And has anyone driven Byfiled Nat Pk. That is some serious sand driving.
    It was near eli creek.

The X-trails are no good in sand. They have a stupid clutch system that engages the rear wheels (they're normally front wheel drive...). What happens is that when you drive in soft sand, the system is not designed for the continuous load, so its designed to disengage the rear wheels, leaving you sitting in the sand with a front-wheel-drive car. Its a well known issue. Google it.

Thanks wosdam. Not real worried about X-Trail. Seen them over there before. I don't consider Fraser to be all that difficult and we will have the Navara to tow the X-Trail out if needed. I do believe that you can lock the somewhat limited 4 wheel drive that they have in. Only issue is that it heaps up the transmission. Wont be doing a heap of soft stuff anyway.

Just got back from Fraser. Plenty of soft stuff at Inskip and Indian head. Had the tyres down to 10psi for those passes & needed plenty of gas as I was towing a trailer.
    The tracks are soft and very rough. Esp the track from Lake McKenzie and the Eastern Beach.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Just got back from Fraser. Plenty of soft stuff at Inskip and Indian head. Had the tyres down to 10psi for those passes & needed plenty of gas as I was towing a trailer.
    The tracks are soft and very rough. Esp the track from Lake McKenzie and the Eastern Beach.
    Yeah Lake Mackenzie was an eye opener for the Forester, it was hard work and a couple of times the "hill' climbs near Wabby were a bit like (am I going to make it home?) But we did, so it was all good!