Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Re: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Im loving all this. Dont worry Yuut I always carry a snatch strap and rated shackles in the Disco to help soft roaders....and I like subies so I stop for them

Subies go fine on the beach - they are a far cry from the CRV's etc, but towing is a different story. I expressed some concern initially at the post given he was towing - and repeated those above recently. But he gave it a go which is sweet.

Cheers
    You should never have to, I almost always go with someone else, like I've said I don't force the issue and get the car so bogged it needs snatching (haven't done it yet anyway!), but I have pushed it out a few times, because I knew I wasn't going to make it.

I carry all my own gear, Bridle and 2 Shackles for front, Hayman Reece for rear, snatch, shovel, Stauns deflators, Compressor. All I want is some Maxtrax and I should be self sufficient on the beach.

I never mentioned through all this I still run 17" low profile tyres too at 17psi.

This is worth looking at, this page sums up my experiences with SUVs, and Fraser is the perfect place to take them. Lets just not tow anything.

http://www.bushranger.com.au/bushran..._checklist.php

Here's the opening quote "It may be a little known fact but Compact SUV's have the ability to travel through most terrain. In our own adventures, we have taken a Kia Sportage through the Flinders Ranges and the Simpson Desert without the need for major modifications or heavy duty recovery gear. As a matter of fact, the only modification we did was a 2 inch lift in the suspension and that was only to accomodate some more aggresive tyres."

EDIT: Funny enough, here's the actual media event on cardavice.com.au http://www.caradvice.com.au/19205/bu...ous-with-suvs/ Not a bad little read, except its a plug for bushranger.

Funny the only vehicle they show stuck is Suzuki, and guess whats pulling it out...

I think the problem here is that we are all talking about different things. A flat beach or flat sand climb/hill/dune = power to weight, grip (tyre footprint size) and clearance. It makes no difference at all if you have lockers or not in sand (I like to think it does, but tests have proven otherwise) Well. Technically thats a lie if your running airlockers, as it negates your lsd into an open centre (Rear).

But, We are talking about ALL the things we have seen on a beach/inland track that your car just cant get through. Nothing personal. If you stick to your same old tracks and beach runs, you'll be fine.

Say your going along a narrow inland track and come across a big sandy 600mm hole on your passenger side at the bottom or midway up a hill. The hill will elliminate any momentum you have. You are not going to make it. And if your get pulled through your are probably going to sustain some front damage. I would go as far as to say you wouldnt make it if the hole was 400mm deep. Seen it many times before. The inland tracks arent always soft sand/mud and rut out.

Now imagine it was a narrow track (1 car wide and 1 way). The guy infront of you is long gone and there are heaps of cars pilling up behind you. What are you going to do then. Thats the part that pisses me off.. And makes me passionate about my posts and advice. IM SURE ALOT OF GUYS WILL AGREE..

Im not proud to say I end up having to go bush and knock a few trees down just to get infront of the guy and drag him through. Then I see a tear in his eye as the front gaurd is cracked and he has some how felt bullied. But unfortunately if he cant pull to the side there is only 1 way out.

Everyone who wants to go 4x4ing should go out to there local tracks and area's and test them. Find their limits and make their adjustments. I cant stand idiots who buy a 4x4 and then go out untested, inwich the above happens. Not fun for anyone.

But thats why we have 4x4 clubs, and this forum and meet and greets... To have fun and learn safely..

Quote Originally Posted by YOOT View Post

Here's the opening quote "It may be a little known fact but Compact SUV's have the ability to travel through most terrain. In our own adventures, we have taken a Kia Sportage through the Flinders Ranges and the Simpson Desert without the need for major modifications or heavy duty recovery gear. As a matter of fact, the only modification we did was a 2 inch lift in the suspension and that was only to accomodate some more aggresive tyres."

Well i can assure you that there would be no way you could cross the Simpson at the moment in a soft roader There is a 20 km section that is terribly chewed up the dunes average 15m tall and the track at the approch to many had really been worked over with 20 to 40 m of wombat holes as the track starts to get steep ( caused by many vehicles getting stuck while towing trailers) approching the climbs with any speed wil end up in doing damage to your vehicle as it pitches when you enter these sections! A new hilux with modifyied TJM suspension had snapped the end right off his front left shock absorber collapsing that whole front corner on that side, a few vehicles we saw ( including a new 200 series LC)had damaged there moulded front and rear bumpers extensively. It would be a bad trip in any vehicle with low ground clearance !

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    ...we are all talking about different things. A flat beach or flat sand climb/hill/dune = power to weight, grip (tyre footprint size) and clearance. It makes no difference at all if you have lockers or not in sand ...
    Fraser is a flat beach, yes there are some crappy patches but there is no need to go near them, all the attractions are flat sand or soft sand. Already proven to be accessible by SUV. The hard stuff is for you and those that go out of their way to look for it, SUV owners only want to get to camp and see some attractions. End discussion on this matter.

But, We are talking about ALL the things we have seen on a beach/inland track that your car just cant get through. Nothing personal. If you stick to your same old tracks and beach runs, you'll be fine.
    I know, that was my point from the start, you guys took it to the next level which I nor anyone else ever claimed be possible in an SUV (this is where we were comparing different things). Surprisingly most families only go camping for the quality time, so the family SUV will be fine for the same old tracks and beach runs.

Say your going along a narrow inland track and come across a big sandy 600mm hole on your passenger side at the bottom or midway up a hill. The hill will elliminate any momentum you have. You are not going to make it. And if your get pulled through your are probably going to sustain some front damage. I would go as far as to say you wouldnt make it if the hole was 400mm deep. Seen it many times before. The inland tracks arent always soft sand/mud and rut out.
    I know what your saying but I've never seen it, and there is a thing called a shovel. One day I might, but so what. The sky might fall in to but we can't go run and hide every time life throws us a curve ball.

Now imagine it was a narrow track (1 car wide and 1 way). The guy infront of you is long gone and there are heaps of cars pilling up behind you. What are you going to do then. Thats the part that pisses me off.. And makes me passionate about my posts and advice. IM SURE ALOT OF GUYS WILL AGREE..
    Well, this is the attitude problem, you can't seriously be telling me that you would be happy if it was a Land Cruiser in the same situation? Because in case you hadn't noticed, all cars are susceptible to that scenario, not just SUVs. You'd be on stronger drugs than me if you were to believe that. Do you know how many times I get held up at Indian because some clown thought he could tow a 3T boat through in his $90K Cruiser, sometimes its just the 4WD by itself while the SUVs drive right on by. The door swings both ways Ben, this is something you are struggling with. A stuck SUV is no more of an issue than a stuck 4WD. Two vehicles in a common situation requiring the same attitude and effort to recover.

I'm not proud to say I end up having to go bush and knock a few trees down just to get infront of the guy and drag him through. Then I see a tear in his eye as the front gaurd is cracked and he has some how felt bullied. But unfortunately if he cant pull to the side there is only 1 way out.
    Interesting, but hardly an experience I could say I have been close too. Maybe I will one day, maybe one day you'll blow a diff. What does it matter, either way we are both fcked!

Everyone who wants to go 4x4ing should go out to there local tracks and area's and test them. Find their limits and make their adjustments. I cant stand idiots who buy a 4x4 and then go out untested, inwich the above happens. Not fun for anyone.
    Which is what I said right at the start, I know the limits of a Forester, Fraser is not it. There might be areas that are well beyond, but you won't find them 99% of the time in the areas that 99% of visitors go to. The remote areas are simply another kettle of fish and should not be used in this thread.

But thats why we have 4x4 clubs, and this forum and meet and greets... To have fun and learn safely..
    It is, but sometimes personal opinions get interpreted as fact and can simply be wrong. I am only speaking from an owners perspective with lots of experience and there for my 'opinions' actually mean something. Those of you who have not owned and driven such vehicles in all the mentioned locations really should not be contributing. Just because you saw one stuck once, does not mean the car is not capable. Just because a car is on the side of the highway with the Hazards on does not imply its not able to be driven on the highway.

All SUVs should carry the SAME recovery gear as a real 4WD, since both SUV and 4WD get recovered the same techniques you can see pretty clearly that they are both very capable. But neither are unstoppable...

Gees, I'm afraid to take the w@nker wagon to the drive-in now...just encase I get stuck on a ridge and need to get winched off.
    I should have kept Wally the wagon instead
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

lol, finger .

Ok Yoot. I finally under you now... Your completely stock subi with low profile 17's goes well on flat sand, a dune and the main tracks on fraser... As apossed to other completely stock 4x4's.

Enough said...
    Just dont talk it up so much..

Just got back form six days on the island, managed the same tracks the same places, with zero boggings. Inskip was aparently soft and there were already two bogged cars when I got there, a lifted Hilux and a lifted Cruiser towing a little tinnie. I got a lecture from a South African bloke about how his RAV4 wouldn't do it, and I was going to 'struggle *sigh*, so I then just drove on the barge, no biggy, was not even close to soft.

The beaches were pretty good, but some gutters meant that even at low tide there was only chopped sand to drive on. We camped right opposite one about 2km Sth of the Maheno. Was pain in the arse crossing the railway tracks to get to the water every day.

Indian Head was a non event, only the Hilux and Prado that came with me got stuck, but that was mainly because they tried to recover my father in laws clapped out Forester with no clutch. But he still made it out on his own.

Lake Mackenzie was good going in, but rough as coming out, some interesting uphill rutted out sand climbs that were good fun, I had to stop halfway up one after the Lake Wabby Exit, and managed to get to the top in one go. The XT was on its nuts most of the way.

The rocks are still unpassable at mid tide, by pass track all the way, big drop off on Yidney I forgot about, smashed the K frame and tow bar but no damage. It was only wood.

Hook point was tight on Monday, and cut to pieces today, barge operator had the nerve to tell me Inskip was soft again on the return trip. He said my trip would be intersting to watch, well it was washed harder than concrete by thursday nights swell so there was nothing to watch really.

I saw three new klugers, two new RAV4s and two Foresters (one black Turbo exactly like mine!) and heaps of Vitaras, the rest, well they should rename the place to Prado island or Toyota Island...

I took 100 photos so might put one or two here.

EDIT: Apparently a Mitsubishi Outlander took the Lake Wabby track, I went home at that point. It was so bad apparently it was 1st Low, max articulation for the Hilux. Outlander pissed it in, only got stuck on some flat soft sand which the four blokes in it pushed it out.

Smile Re: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

I just got back from Fraser , had a top week up there, plenty of fish , great weather and awsome scenery.

I own a suzuki 2004 model V6 Vitara , and it never missed a beat, the cutting across Indian was very soft , but not once did it struggle, and i went everywhere on the island that i wanted to go.

I did see a lot of other stuck vehicles ,but i think a lot of it comes down to driving for the conditions, let your tyres down and don't try and race across the sand, it can't be good for the cars.

Saw a few other Suzi's up there and they all agreed that it was very easy going in these 4WDs.

A few of us sat on the hill at Indian and watched the parade of clowns trying to get up the cutting, christ you think a day at the boat ramp is funny, you should see some of these spuds, bogged to the axles, super fast run up , not checking the tracks clear , the list goes on !!!
    Video piracy is stealing?
    I wouldn't steal a car, but if a buddy rang me up and said, "Hey man, just got myself a brand new kick Ass Monaro, you want me to burn you a copy?"
    Well 'shit yeah"

As a side note, if you own a Suzuki and want to know the secret to gettng every where in these suckers and the slight mods, and fairly inexpensive at that.

PM me for the deatails, i am not here to advertise for someones bussiness who doesn't sponser an Ad on Ausfish .

Darkside
    I wouldn't steal a car, but if a buddy rang me up and said, "Hey man, just got myself a brand new kick Ass Monaro, you want me to burn you a copy?"
    Well 'shit yeah"

Quote Originally Posted by darkside View Post
    I just got back from Fraser , had a top week up there, plenty of fish , great weather and awsome scenery.

I own a suzuki 2004 model V6 Vitara , and it never missed a beat, the cutting across Indian was very soft , but not once did it struggle, and i went everywhere on the island that i wanted to go.

I did see a lot of other stuck vehicles ,but i think a lot of it comes down to driving for the conditions, let your tyres down and don't try and race across the sand, it can't be good for the cars.

Saw a few other Suzi's up there and they all agreed that it was very easy going in these 4WDs.

A few of us sat on the hill at Indian and watched the parade of clowns trying to get up the cutting, christ you think a day at the boat ramp is funny, you should see some of these spuds, bogged to the axles, super fast run up , not checking the tracks clear , the list goes on !!!
    Indian was hard as a rock for me when i went, but every man and his dog made a big deal about how soft it was. I took a photo of a Grand Vitara cruising through the same spot two Hilux, one patrol and a Troopy all got bogged in. The biggest issue for the older big 4WDs is they are just plain gutless. One they run out of puff, the gear change just dumps them down in the sand.

I just got back from fraser. The champagne pools to waddy pt track was fairly chewed up. Not particularly boggy but very slow going.
    One thing we saw was about 10 big boats being towed back down the beach - presumably after spending some time at orchid/waddy. I didn't see a forester in front of any of them :-) The cars of choice for towing big boats in soft sand are Cruiser Wagons/Cruiser utes/Patrols/Troopys.

Also, I towed my mate's hilux off the island. It was a lot easier going via the hard-packed beach to Rainbow versus trying the soft Inskip section. Probably a good tip for anyone towing - drop onto the beach at Rainbow instead of going up the bitumen.

Talking Re: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    I just got back from fraser. The champagne pools to waddy pt track was fairly chewed up. Not particularly boggy but very slow going.
    One thing we saw was about 10 big boats being towed back down the beach - presumably after spending some time at orchid/waddy. I didn't see a forester in front of any of them :-) The cars of choice for towing big boats in soft sand are Cruiser Wagons/Cruiser utes/Patrols/Troopys.

Also, I towed my mate's hilux off the island. It was a lot easier going via the hard-packed beach to Rainbow versus trying the soft Inskip section. Probably a good tip for anyone towing - drop onto the beach at Rainbow instead of going up the bitumen.

Wow, i was thinking of hooking up the 6 mtre cruisecraft to the suzi and heading up, good thing i didn't.

But i did go up to enjoy some fishing a bit of sightseeing and with no stress or problems, i also got by on a tank of juice (60 Litres), the purpose of my post was to highlight the fact that these vehicles are more than capable of getting around the island comfortably, not towing the "MV Queen Mary" up the beach.
    Well 'shit yeah"

Just thought I would add some salt to the wounds for the 'Real' 4WD owners out there, here is a great thread with pics and vids of a much older and non turbo Forester making a meal of Double Island. The last vid sums up my above posts nicely, real 4WDs on sand on the beaches North of Noosa are somewhat not as capable as well driven Forester. I see it with my own eyes all the time.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...76/#post693526

Its worth looking at. Long live Softroaders.

Your a hoot Yoot, but I do have to admit there is something to be said for hitting the relatively easy stretches of sand with rpm, wheel spin and heart in ones throat while soft riding than cruising over them near half asleep in low range second or high range first

cheers fnq

I think on the hard sand you will have no trouble but you will struggle badly on soft sand particuarlly if it is really dry only because you do not have any clearance from body to ground