Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Re: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    Yes but exactly how much clearance will he have when loaded. Doesnt look like much at all from the photo. Getting on and off the hard stuff will be extremely difficult if body clearance/diffing out towing a trailer. And its hard to make your own track and stay out of the ruts. Might be lucky

That trailer doesnt look that big but in relation to the truck it is.
    Captain seaweed - His destination was dundubara. There are only 4 obsticles in his way, in which a suzi vitara could do with out a trailer on.

1. To the barge, 2. Off the barge, 3. eli creek, 4. The track upto the campsite.. His trailer weighs 500 - 600kg ??? Its all part of the fun of an adventure holiday.

And the people commenting go to fraser all the time... I went every year for 11 years. Now I only go when I have oversea's friends visitting and out of season(look at the first vid) way too packed for me..

Also - WHAT THE HELL ARE WE TALKING ABOUT.. Its beach driving, its not extreme. Ive seen a wb 1tonne ute up the beach before.

I have visited 8 times over a 6 year block, that was a long time ago now and before the 4wd's became popular as everyday transport, back then there was even a few unregistered buggie type cars getting around and you would pass any car every 5km or so on the open beach, it was a glorious place as was the mainland beaches nearby.

Ben your vids show it has changed heaps!!!, think I will stick with me grumpy getting old memories of the place, that looked horrible.

cheers fnq

PS and why where even vehicles with some clearance rushing the coffee rocks? painful vid all round.

. It has changed a hell of alot.

2 years ago there was a huge storm with 10 metre surf. Nagala was "impassable". I went the next day after the storm finished to have a look. Me and a guy in a comp landy went through (no other tyre tracks). I was a bit under gunned in my road/work patrol (5"lift, 33's, shimed lsd, V8 and no swaybars) Articulation needed to even get off the sand with a 1.2 metre vert coffee rock ledge and was greated with a 3 metre drop off on the other side. NO SAND and k's of hard rock hopping. So slow going. Even the washouts where deep as. That first vid is 2 years on and the norm now. Its coming back but slowly.

(Im surprised I didnt see yoot up there

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    Captain seaweed - His destination was dundubara. There are only 4 obsticles in his way, in which a suzi vitara could do with out a trailer on.

1. To the barge, 2. Off the barge, 3. eli creek, 4. The track upto the campsite.. His trailer weighs 500 - 600kg ??? Its all part of the fun of an adventure holiday.

And the people commenting go to fraser all the time... I went every year for 11 years. Now I only go when I have oversea's friends visitting and out of season(look at the first vid) way too packed for me..

Also - WHAT THE HELL ARE WE TALKING ABOUT.. Its beach driving, its not extreme. Ive seen a wb 1tonne ute up the beach before.
    THIS IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT...
    He didnt even make it 1/2 way to the barge?????If someone asked me "Should I tow a trailer , any trailer, up Fraser behind a Vitara my answer would be this. Yeah if you like digging sand for half the day, find your reecovery points and make sure you have some recovery gear as you WILL struggle especially with a trailer. Not "yeah mate youll be right"". I too have been going to Fraser for years and tow 2.5 tonne boats up there every year. I also camp at Straddy once a month down Main Beach. I see Vitaras, Jimmnys,RAV 4s and subarus there all the time normally bogged at the entrance to most beaches. I always stop to help them and they are all taken by surprise that they are struggling for they think they are in a new , light 4x4 and shouldnt be having this much trouble. Speaking from experience.

On the other hand slightly modified with the basics, tyres and lift they are a lot better.

I agree to disagree.
    Vitara + trailer on ANY beach = a hard slog for an experienced driver.

Whats Dereks opinion about the advice he was given??Accurate?As trouble free as people said? Actually its written here "DO NOT TAKE A LATE MODEL VITARA TO FRASER ISLAND". Still going to convince him he will be right?Your missing my point.

Marty

Well you cant be talking about me then. I always said it was going to be hard... I dont see how there is any harm done. He gave it a crack and didnt make it through the soft stuff. So someone towed him the extra 50 metres. The rest of the trip was fine and he made it on his own all the way upto dunduraba.

Ok, NOTICE TO ALL... DONT BUY PRETEND 4X4 MATCHBOX'S AND EXPECT THEM TO GO WHERE OTHERS GO OR EVEN LAST... THEY ARE ROAD CARS...

Better??

Bendover you have restored my faith in you!!

Ha ha ha...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    I also camp at Straddy once a month down Main Beach. I see Vitaras, Jimmnys,RAV 4s and subarus there all the time normally bogged at the entrance to most beaches. I always stop to help them and they are all taken by surprise that they are struggling for they think they are in a new , light 4x4 and shouldnt be having this much trouble.
    Marty
    That is right, I have seen them too but that doesn't mean they are useless.

I'm not trying to blow sunshine up your arse, all softroaders have severe limitations, but its very amazing how far you can go with the right technique, and there is nothing you can say that will mean anything to me and the hundreds of others who do it without a drama.

See you have never have driven a turbo Charged forester on the beach so how would you know? And if you saw one bogged, only a mindless fool would come to the conclusion that it was the car. Because if that was true why do cruisers, patrols, Landrovers all get stuck from time to time? Its all part of the journey.

I was told last year by a girl who drove a Santa Fe that I wouldn't make it on to Main Beach (I live in Capalaba and do work over there from time to time in my Navara (STR). I drove straight up and in 1200rpm second gear. Whats the big deal? And I knew I would. (Should I mention I spent my youth over on Straddie in a 1982 dual range subaru with 13" tyres, worn clutch and sticky carbouretta? And I only ever had trouble going to blue lake, but I always got there. Except the time I drove into 400mm of water and stalled it out the back of Flinders Beach. I had to rescue it out with in low range with the starter motor.) Remember that this Subaru had a locking centre diff just like the real boys. Only it gives you no advantage as I have learned by driving new AWD version. Believe me I had my doubts and wouldn't do it for the first 12 months I had it. The rest is history, fond memories and great photos.

Ever driven from Woodgate to Coonar via the beach/tracks. That is some of the softest gravely sand I have ever driven in. The beach is on a slant and is only 20m wide at best. I was grinding away in 1st in the Navara through that section along with the same Hilux I go with when I am in the Subaru. I took the Forester through the exact same section for a bucks party with the same Hilux, it was a hard slog but I never actually got the car stuck. Infact the only car that struggled was the Hilux. Seven times and it still wouldn't go up the 10foot dune to our camp site. Subaru went up 2 from 2. And I had drunk a six pack the second time! And just to insult the croud watching the new V8 TD Cruiser ute fail 3 from 3. Not even I could get it up. Just because I could get the Subaru to do it doesn't mean I can make it climb trees, and I know that more than you do!

As amazing as they can be, they can also let you down as you have all made sure to tell me (been there done that). Point is I don't care, there is always more than one way to skin a cat, or unstick a pretend 4WD.

Towing may be a but much for it, I agree and I never plan on putting 700kgs behind it. Unless I know I can shoot across short sections of soft on the hard. But out of all of you I would be the first to try it in a pretend, because you never know it might just make a cake walk of it. Wouldn't be the first time.

I still like you lot and I think I would love to come bogged with you boys on the beach one day. But If I don't you all owe me a beer!

OK YOOT - bets are on ... Noone has ever doubted you or your cars ability on sand. Im glad your stoked with it. Get a 2" lift, 2" body lift and some decent tires and you'll go even further and easier...

Everyone has started off with something mild. My first 4bie was a hilux and I did some amazing things in it (for a hilux). And all my mates got 4bies aswell, cruisers, pajero's, jeeps, all playing and learning, getting big heads. Until we got to the 4x4 parks (thats where you really learn).

They say the tracks are only as hard as you choose them to be. And they are right! But when your with your mates . Stock broken trucks everywhere. Out of 20 tries between us on a mild grade hill. I finally made it. Bagged all my mates other trucks until you see a propperly set up rig, cruise up effortlessly with hardly any wheel spin. You get sucked in and spend $$$$ (Its easy to spend $40k) until you run out of upgrades and sick of fixing and replacing broken bits. Not too mention we pushed it as far as we could and ended up rolling at some stage. Reaching the trucks limit before trading it in and starting over. Some of them are still doing it and have won most of the comps.

Sand is only 1 element... Gimme a stock 4.5 petrol cruiser ute with 35's and I recon I could do any dune or track your car can in 2wd.

You cant even get mods for your vehicle.. You cant ever say its better than a cruiser or patrol (Live axle fronts) because they have the ability with the correct mods to be the best. Such a simple thing like a fallen tree, articulation or water crossing and its over. I dont even consider any stock 4x4 a decent one..

Moral of the story.. Your truck might be a big fish in a little pond .
    Ps. My patrol did 0 - 100 in 7 flat.

For a meer 55K we can make your truck go as crap as this 1.

I'm happy with what your saying but I am only interested in camping on the beach (at this stage in my life) and I am also not interested in modifications. I like to exploit what mumma gave my cars.

Yoot your on. I also like to see people out there giving it a go. Maybe a M&G is on the cards. I will bring the cold beers!

It almost feels like we have had a big group hug. Just keep those dirty subaru ridden hands off my arse!

Cheers
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    Yoot your on. I also like to see people out there giving it a go. Maybe a M&G is on the cards. I will bring the cold beers!

It almost feels like we have had a big group hug. Just keep those dirty subaru ridden hands off my arse!

Cheers
    Marty
    Where are we going? Bribie? Moreton? Straddie would be good actually Just keep me away from the deep water!

I might have to invest in some Maxtrax just to be safe

If your heading to strad Ive got a hill you can try Yoot.

Its on your left when your driving from dunwich to blue lake. You can see it from the road and cant miss it. 100 metres straight up of soft sand. Good horse power tester.

Quote Originally Posted by YOOT View Post
    Not even I could get it up.
    ...thats a shame, especially on hollidays.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Im loving all this. Dont worry Yuut I always carry a snatch strap and rated shackles in the Disco to help soft roaders....and I like subies so I stop for them

Subies go fine on the beach - they are a far cry from the CRV's etc, but towing is a different story. I expressed some concern initially at the post given he was towing - and repeated those above recently. But he gave it a go which is sweet.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing