Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Re: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Ill give him an idea...

Your bash plate is going to be well used ... The fundamentals of offroad 4x4ing dont change even on the beach in ruts. Nomatter howlight your car, if there is no downward pressure on your tyres they are useless. Even when I see these badly set up comp trucks etc.. They have heaps of travel but as soon as your coil spring leaves the upper strut (not touching) it makes no difference how much further down it travel. Its all for show.

I look at your pic and the rims and tyres you have on there. Your going to need alot bigger, and alot more sidewall to deflate to get grip.

I have just read this post and I am really disappointed that people on here were saying it was ok to tow a trailer with a Suzuki of any kind or any of the small soft roaders up to Fraser. I hope if I have a genuine question and post it on the forum I am not bombarded by no it all bullshit artists. Really disappointed guys.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    I have just read this post and I am really disappointed that people on here were saying it was ok to tow a trailer with a Suzuki of any kind or any of the small soft roaders up to Fraser. I hope if I have a genuine question and post it on the forum I am not bombarded by no it all bullshit artists. Really disappointed guys.

Marty
    Why is it not ok? Mate of mine does it all the time with no issues.

Marty
    Be dissapointed all you want mate.. Look at how small the trailer is. Noone really knew how it would all go. But 1 thing is foresure, there would be heaps of people willing to help him if he got into trouble.

Also, id rather give advice to make it better, than to tell people theit truck is crap and not to bother..
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Ah Yoot

Your in for a big shock one day mate. What about when you cant have momentum? Your car will be fine on the beach and getting on and off should not be an issue with Momentum but the are just soooo many other places to see on fraser that you will totally miss out on becauce in that vehicle you'll never make it ! The tracks are just to cut up by us big 4by owners showing our mates how far we can get in 2 wheel drive By the way at best your little toy is only a 2wd isn't it?

Ian
    EDIT - believe what you want, I must be open minded!!

Quote Originally Posted by YOOT View Post
    The only shock are blokes like you when I get to where I'm going, but to be honest I have done ALL the tracks on fraser so I'm not sure what you are refering too
    ... It changes from year to year. But there is noway in hell your truck could make it on a bad year. Like I said, first fallen tree, rocks or water and your turning around. Its goes good on the beach and over some soft dunes, whoopa didooo

"and the on;y car they reccomend for Fraser are 2WD VW with bald tyres. Funny that they al chose Subaru as the next best thing."

I think you need to invest in some maxtrax yoot. Your diggin yourself a mighty big hole.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    Be dissapointed all you want mate.. Look at how small the trailer is. Noone really knew how it would all go. But 1 thing is foresure, there would be heaps of people willing to help him if he got into trouble.

Also, id rather give advice to make it better, than to tell people theit truck is crap and not to bother..
    BD

I dont think Derek was heading to Fraser to meet a heap of new mates everytime the sand got a little thick and he got bogged. He was probably travelling with his wife looking for a relaxing holiday discovering our beautiful south east. If she is like my wife then more than likely she would have said" Are you sure we are prepared enough Derek, gee I dont know about this are you sure?". He probably thought, might ask a few blokes on the forum, they should give me good advice. BUT what he didnt expect is people to piss in his pocket about how "capable" his Vitara is towing a trailer in sand. The idea still humours me. To put a standard Suzuki, Rav4 or Nissan Xtrail on the beach is a little risky and then to hook a trailer on it and tell him he will be right shows poor judgement.What he should have done is ring ARB or TJM as they do know what they are talking about, but instead he relied on honest experience from fellow Ausfishers.

I dont know why people are getting upset I am stating facts. In the past I have heard many blokes bag Ausfish Forums saying they are full of couch fishing professionals who no sweet f*&k all about everything and I have always shot these rumours down. I have been a proud Ausfisher but when you post a comment like mine stating the truth and your shot down makews you feel disappointed.

Cheers
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    ... It changes from year to year. But there is noway in hell your truck could make it on a bad year. Like I said, first fallen tree, rocks or water and your turning around. Its goes good on the beach and over some soft dunes, whoopa didooo
    EDIT: Not relevant

I dont think Derek was heading to Fraser to meet a heap of new mates everytime the sand got a little thick and he got bogged. He was probably travelling with his wife looking for a relaxing holiday discovering our beautiful south east. If she is like my wife then more than likely she would have said" Are you sure we are prepared enough Derek, gee I dont know about this are you sure?". He probably thought, might ask a few blokes on the forum, they should give me good advice. BUT what he didnt expect is people to piss in his pocket about how "capable" his Vitara is towing a trailer in sand. The idea still humours me. To put a standard Suzuki, Rav4 or Nissan Xtrail on the beach is a little risky and then to hook a trailer on it and tell him he will be right shows poor judgement.What he should have done is ring ARB or TJM as they do know what they are talking about, but instead he relied on honest experience from fellow Ausfishers.

I dont know why people are getting upset I am stating facts. In the past I have heard many blokes bag Ausfish Forums saying they are full of couch fishing professionals who no sweet f*&k all about everything and I have always shot these rumours down. I have been a proud Ausfisher but when you post a comment like mine stating the truth and your shot down makews you feel disappointed.

Cheers
    Marty
    Edit:

The only shock are blokes like you when I get to where I'm going, but to be honest I have done ALL the tracks REALLY????? on fraser so I'm not sure what you are refering too But I am not interested in the Western fly infested side of the island, and there is nothing to do north of Ngala for me to do. That may make a difference. Mate i reckon you would have been lucky to have done 20% of the tracks on fraser

Noticed in that first video is a Forester (non Turbo) making those rocks look easy...
    And there is a RAV4 waiting to come back, must have gotten there somehow...

And my toy is '2WD' if I cross it up, just like your '2WD'. Unless you have front and rear airlockers, have fun making turns with the front and rear diff locked. yep my patrol does have front and rear lockers and i have know idea what you mean about turning, it fairly easy on sand , Ever driven a vehicle with lockers Yoot?

Thanks for the 'scare' tactics, I would have believed you two years ago, but I've been there done that as has my in-laws, and there two sisters who all own Foresters and Outbacks and grew up on Fraser 30 years ago. They still live in the Burnett region and the on;y car they reccomend for Fraser are 2WD VW with bald tyres. Funny that they al chose Subaru as the next best thing. Once I was shown I was a convert. Mate i had a VW buggy for years they go well on the beach but are very limited on the tracks, beach driving very easy really and could be done with most normal cars if you know what your doing but they have limits just as your vehicle does!

As they taught me, you haven't been anywhere until you've been stuck. Anyway, I'll be there again this coming Monday, don't blink or you'll miss me. I'm just nat afraid to have a go, which is the point of this thread.

I do have a funny story though, up at Teewah, near the Freshwater Camp ground. I went for a casual run up there late last year. Followed the Outback straight up the camp site exit behind a Pajero. Now the Pajero was dragging its spare tyre in the sand and the outback got about half way up and beached. No biggy, I jumped out and between me and my wife puched it out backwards in about 10seconds (try that in a Patrol). He pulled up to my car and said, "right, just go in straight flat out", so he headed down to the water turned 90 degrees and went OVER the ruts straight in. We did the same, no worries.

The lesson here is, its not the car, its the driver. If you know what you are doing, you can get the best out of you car. And the most important thing, IF YOU FAIL, TRY AGAIN!

You should right a book on beack driving, you seem to have it all worked out Maybe next 4x4 meet and greet you should come along and show us big bad heavy 4by owners how you do it! I'm sure it would be very enlightening
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Smile Re: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ARB!!!

The first thing I ever did on Fraser the first time I went was dig a BRAND NEW 2008 Hilux that was sponsered by ARB in Victoria out of the normal sand on the beach. He was towing a HUGE camper trailer, stopped, and never got going again. Crossed it up one of each front/rear spinning. All the lifts, tyres, and gadgets in the world stuck to that beast and it couldn't even make headway in the beach sand.

He had three Maxtraxx and drove straight out. I would love a set of those, and I might just get them, but I just know I'll end up using them on other peoples beasts...
    I believe you and still believe you will get good advice from them. Maybe if they had a Vitara they could have got through? BUT if he had a Subi he could even get up to the Cape!

Thats is Cruiser and Patrol are gone. I am getting me a Xtrail or even a Subaru, with the right stickers and haircut I will have these tracks nailed! And if I was to line up 150-200 maxtrax I could even go to Ormeau. Look out fuel guzzlin cruisers and dangerous should not be driven in the city patrols, I gots me a super wagon subi with more kilowatts that Swanbank. Yes I have owned a Subaru, I was given a Subaru Liberty STi B spec and all I can say is what a P O S. Although they are a good car on icy roads.

Cheers
    Marty

You should right a book on beack driving, you seem to have it all worked out Maybe next 4x4 meet and greet you should come along and show us big bad heavy 4by owners how you do it! I'm sure it would be very enlightening
    That funny story, I just remebered I took a photo and a short vid, the pic is where the OB got beached, but it reversed out after a quick push. The vid was attempt number two.

If we took the attitude of you blokes on here, we should have packed up and gone home at this point. Ha, what dumb advice that is. So much potential wasted if that was our attitude. Get a life!

I believe you and still believe you will get good advice from them. Maybe if they had a Vitara they could have got through? BUT if he had a Subi he could even get up to the Cape!

Thats is Cruiser and Patrol are gone. I am getting me a Xtrail or even a Subaru, with the right stickers and haircut I will have these tracks nailed! And if I was to line up 150-200 maxtrax I could even go to Ormeau. Look out fuel guzzlin cruisers and dangerous should not be driven in the city patrols, I gots me a super wagon subi with more kilowatts that Swanbank. Yes I have owned a Subaru, I was given a Subaru Liberty STi B spec and all I can say is what a P O S. Although they are a good car on icy roads.

Cheers
    Marty
    Your an idiot, no wonder people pre-judge drivers of 4WDs. Your exactly whats wrong with this forum and 4Wd destinations, too scared to try something else, and quick to resort to sarcasm to cover it all up. Get over it.

Mate

No one is saying you cant take your subi to fraser, You do and you can with big success, great!! But your getting abit carried away with the vechiles limits, eg towing , You with not be able to tow anything heavy on the beach, your car works because it floats on the top of the sand put a trailer on it and it will dig in very quickly! This is a good thing as you can get traction on the hard sand under the soft stuff , but you must have clearance to do it , diffs dont matter you'll drag them through easily but once your on your pan your stuffed. Same with the inland tracks , once you get a front wheel and a rear wheel of the ground your stopped period and you dont have the travel in you suspension to help in any way! What you have got is a good little car that can get you up the beach, Great but if you start thinking is a 4by and take it other places you'll come unstuck very very quickly! if you dont believe that come on the next 4x4 meet and greet and learn about what you car can and can't do in and enviroment where there is plenty of friendly help! Dereks Suzi would have been great without the weight on the back and i am personally suprised he had the trouble he did ,i really thought it would have gone better but it just show you how a trailer can effect you on sand!

Ian

Ps i've done plenty of towing big weights on sand!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Mate

No one is saying you cant take your subi to fraser, You do and you can with big success, great!! But your getting abit carried away with the vechiles limits, eg towing , You with not be able to tow anything heavy on the beach, your car works because it floats on the top of the sand put a trailer on it and it will dig in very quickly! This is a good thing as you can get traction on the hard sand under the soft stuff , but you must have clearance to do it , diffs dont matter you'll drag them through easily but once your on your pan your stuffed. Same with the inland tracks , once you get a front wheel and a rear wheel of the ground your stopped period and you dont have the travel in you suspension to help in any way! What you have got is a good little car that can get you up the beach, Great but if you start thinking is a 4by and take it other places you'll come unstuck very very quickly! if you dont believe that come on the next 4x4 meet and greet and learn about what you car can and can't do in and enviroment where there is plenty of friendly help! Dereks Suzi would have been great without the weight on the back and i am personally suprised he had the trouble he did ,i really thought it would have gone better but it just show you how a trailer can effect you on sand!

Ian

Ps i've done plenty of towing big weights on sand!
    Thats the attitude I was looking for, I never claimed abilities beyond what was possible, its just that I hate people who write off softroaders because of their opinion. Reality is we will all come a duster in our travels, no matter what you drive, but don't upset when cars you never thought capable are, and don't ridicule them when they fail. I'd be the first to stop and lend a hand, I'd expect the same from you lot. Derek had a good trip in my eyes, the challenge was the trailer, it was overcome, the trip success. Even Derek had the wrong attitude.