Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Re: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Derick - sorry to see that photo mate because it is horrible to have the holliday dream shattered. Inskip is surprisingly boggy. I just think in the end the smaller the engine and unit the more unlikely it is that it will perform when towing in sand. Even relatively light trailer will add so much extra on the tow vehicle, especially so if the trailer wheels dont follow the tow vehicle's wheels.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bullock View Post
    DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT TAKE A LATE MODEL SUZUKI GRAND VITARA TO FRASER ISLAND

Well I actually got to Dundaburra and that's where the Suzuki stayed until I drove her home.

Got to Inskip Point and lowered the tyres for the run to the Manta Ray. Less than 100 metres from the bitumen down she went. Lack of clearance saw her sitting belly on the sand with 4 wheels spinning in the air. A young bloke in a troopy decided we needed to be on the barge so after much effort he dragged us across the sand and right up into the barge.

Headed off up the beach and she towed no problems at all until we left that hard stuff to go into Dundaburra and down she went again. This time my mate who beat me up there by a day pulled us into the camp ground.

Another mate towed the camper trailer back to Inskip for me and I managed to get all the way to the bitumen at Inskip on my own.

Photo below of her sitting at Inskip.

Derek, maaaate!

Don't give up because you gotstck 10seconds into your holiday. I'm heading to Fraser in my Turbo Forester in 8 days and She'll probably run rings around most other 4WDs but if she gets stuck, big whoop.

If I were you I would go back and do it all again, buy a set of max traxx and get yourself out! That photo looks like fun!

Edit - Forum member getting grumpy.

IS the car an auto or manual? I have seen a mate with a very similar configuration get through there in worse conditions than that pic. Also seen heaps of small 4wd get through there as well.

What tyre pressure did u have in the trailer and the car. Anymore than 12psi in the trailer and you were wasting ur time. Gotta flatten those trailer tyres right out mate, and dont be shy on letting the car down to 18psi either ...

Oh and i know those suz's have low range so did u have it in low ... i would have had her in low second at about 5 grand reving the tits off it

Derek you got a bargain! you got to leave your car at camp for the stay, with a good excuse, and it only took a couple of missed gears to achieve...need to remember that for oneday later.

Yeah Yoot stick to the hard pack as mentioned above and if crossing proper sand just use some of those multi HP at your disposal before you reach it and float over at still a sensible warp speed, you have a great advantage there over the lower powered softies.

How come softroaders never wave down other softroaders for tug out? or also now that I think of it they hardly ever offer either

Just mucking, it's to me as i get older it's the destination that matters most.

cheers fnq

I think derek gets the idea.
    Its more car like than 4wd. Even cars can drive on the hard stuff so its no claim to fame being able to drive along a beach at lowtide. I think it wouldnt have much trouble minus the trailer and good run up, solong as it doesnt belly out in the deep tyre ruts (like the pic). But if its automatic, your losing heaps of power. If its manual and you push it too hard in the soft stuff. Youll burn your clutch out.

The first thing you need to do is bigger tyres to get your clearance. Cant with those little cars. Then gearing and hp to help push them. Again hard to do without starting to break stuff. Then suspension travel is needed for inland rutted out tracks and rock hopping. Ive seen a heap of stocko hilux's with bent up side steps/sills at the eurong shops.

I think everyone has had to park their 4x4 and get a lift at some stage. It just depends where your limit is and what you actually want to be able to do in your 4x4. But it gets expensive quick.....

ps. Geez Yoot, you love talking up the forester

Yeah Derek, don't let getting stuck put you off, it is all part of the adventure, there is always someone around willing to pull you out.
    Some actually enjoy it so they can show you how much better their 4wd is than yours.
    A couple of weeks ago I saw two landcruisers strapped together towing a small boat would have been lighter than your trailer, anyway they got bogged heading up to Waddy Point from Orchid Beach and a big Nissan with massive tyres and all the bling bits came along and towed them both out at once.
    A tip for all those that are a bit challenged for clearance, when heading down to the barge make your own road don't go in the deep ruts made by other 4wds with a lot more ground clearance than you, and let your tyres down to about 18, on the trailer as well.

Good tip about making your own road there ... especially if you not only have less clearance but also a narrower track. Tough call though - the existing track would have a firmer bottom... but that's not much help if you can't reach it because your diffs are stuck on the hill in between.

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    Good tip about making your own road there ... especially if you not only have less clearance but also a narrower track. Tough call though - the existing track would have a firmer bottom... but that's not much help if you can't reach it because your diffs are stuck on the hill in between.
    Yep , at least you got a chance of getting through..

As soon as my Brumby is finished being pimped up I intend in loading it up and heading to fraser. Sounds like fun, and the long handle shovel just went on the list. The little ute will have AWD rear LSD (if i can find one) centre diff lock, 2-3in lift and 27in tyres and maybe a winch. Ill have to watch those deeper ruts though.

Thanks for the thread Dereck

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    As soon as my Brumby is finished being pimped up I intend in loading it up and heading to fraser. Sounds like fun, and the long handle shovel just went on the list. The little ute will have AWD rear LSD (if i can find one) centre diff lock, 2-3in lift and 27in tyres and maybe a winch. Ill have to watch those deeper ruts though.

Thanks for the thread Dereck

Cheers

Chris
    EDIT - Apparently if you touch the sand you die and your car explodes. Foresters abilities now irrelevant now (don't know how my bros hilux works since its lower at the front than soft roaders like Derek)

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    Edit: Apparently your not allowed to get stuck, if you do your car is no good, get a bigger and better one. Keep this cycle going to you own something so big, tall and heavy you can't park it, take it shopping and your next trailer is B-Double full of Fuel from Caltex.

The bottom line is you cant stay out of the ruts. If its a narrow track, your going to end up in them. Your best bet is bigger tyres (diff clearance) and lower pressures (longer and wider tread). Your forester may be good in the sand, until you get to some deep ruts, fallen tree or exposed coffee rocks (anything with articulations or clearance) then its useless.. And water crossings.

Its not much to worry about, it is just a beach after all. But if there has been some wild weather at nagala rocks. Only a few hard 4bies are going to make it. If anyone has any drama towing or a bit worried. You can always grab a set of maxtrax.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
    The bottom line is you cant stay out of the ruts. If its a narrow track, your going to end up in them. Your best bet is bigger tyres (diff clearance) and lower pressures (longer and wider tread). Your forester may be good in the sand, until you get to some deep ruts, fallen tree or exposed coffee rocks (anything with articulations or clearance) then its useless.. And water crossings.

Its not much to worry about, it is just a beach after all. But if there has been some wild weather at nagala rocks. Only a few hard 4bies are going to make it. If anyone has any drama towing or a bit worried. You can always grab a set of maxtrax.

EDIT: I'm not good at climbing trees.

Quote Originally Posted by YOOT View Post
    You are right, but I have been in some deep nasty soft sand and its just not an issue when you have 1000kgs less to hold up on the sand, you need all that stuff you mentioned when your fourbie weighs 2500kgs or more!

With my experiences and the bash plate the car just 'glides' over the soft stuff, there is heaps of down travel on the front shocks and the plate is smooth. But momentum is my friend here. To date I haven't had any issues, but it will happen eventually, just not as often as most would predict.

I've often though, fallen tree trunks would be an issue, but I do carry a couple of axes and I also tend to keep a spare Hilux in toe

Ah Yoot

Your in for a big shock one day mate. What about when you cant have momentum? Your car will be fine on the beach and getting on and off should not be an issue with Momentum but the are just soooo many other places to see on fraser that you will totally miss out on becauce in that vehicle you'll never make it ! The tracks are just to cut up by us big 4by owners showing our mates how far we can get in 2 wheel drive By the way at best your little toy is only a 2wd isn't it?

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!