Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

Re: Fraser Island In The Suzuki Grand Vitara

That car is probably more capable than my factory issued navara, which I have had up at fraser a dozen times in the last 2 years. The suzi is not going to have a problem. My car would bog down before the suzi.

Keep in mind that when towing on the low tide that the sand is hard because it is wet, salt water wet.

Not a real big issue on most vehicles as the underbody paint protection is very good.

But on a camper you should get underneath before you go and spray a good coating of inhibitor into all of the cracks and crevices where the steel tubes and plates meet.

This is where damaging corrosion will begin, in between the steel joins and contact points.

- Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Mr__Bean View Post
    Keep in mind that when towing on the low tide that the sand is hard because it is wet, salt water wet.

Not a real big issue on most vehicles as the underbody paint protection is very good.

But on a camper you should get underneath before you go and spray a good coating of inhibitor into all of the cracks and crevices where the steel tubes and plates meet.

This is where damaging corrosion will begin, in between the steel joins and contact points.

- Darren
    Darren,
    What would you recommend?

Thanks,

Wags

Good call Darren.

Tectyl 506 or penetrol sprayed under will protect the trailer.

If you are able..... Tectyl 506 and Lanotec mixed 50 /50 is the perfect combination.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Phill nailed it.

- Darre

I have towed many times in sand...always with a V8 Discovery. My loads have been a lot heavier than yours, but there is no doubt that towing in deep sand throws a lot extra on the vehicle. I know the Zukes are a great little rig on sand when not towing, but I dont know what they would be like if towing say 800kg - 1000kg? I think a lot depends on how you drive it and where. When I went to Fraser they had no rain for many months and the tracks were very soft as was the beach access at inskip on both sides. Indian Head had a lot of people bogged. If there has been rain and not many vehicles then you should have a sweet run. If it is badly chopped and soft then you may have dramas...but just make sure you have good snatch points at the front and a rated strap and rated shackles and a long handled shovel....many people will still snatch you if you dont have proper recover (as opposed to factory tie down) points...but more and more - especially those in clubs - will not.

Cheers

PS. There are a couple of 4wd tilt tray towies that service the island.
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

....I dont think you say what the camper weight is mate, nor the weight of the gear that you are taking...it adds up in a hurtful way quickly to small engines, light trannies, and low independent suspension...
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Keep the little engine spinning at 3k minimum unless on the hard pack, it will be kindest on all the drive train, Frazer Is has on average fairly easy 4wd sand, the uphills will sort you out esp your clearance, very low tyre pressure is the key. I wouldn't hesitate as I suspect any real time motivation problem you will have will be outweighed by the overall experience.

cheers fnq

Thanks again for all the comments. All up weight of the trailer loaded is between 500 and 600 kg. The trailer isn't very heavy and is actually a light off road model.

Still looking however for someone who has actually done it in a smaller 4WD.

I am going regardless.

Derek

OK, I did the Fraser trip years ago in a small vehicle. Was a single cab rodeo and we towed a 17tf Fibreglass boat.

Maybe that is not as small as you wanted... ?????

You'll be fine. Just make sure you have enough heat beads for the oven and enough ginger beer for the bread.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT TAKE A LATE MODEL SUZUKI GRAND VITARA TO FRASER ISLAND

Well I actually got to Dundaburra and that's where the Suzuki stayed until I drove her home.

Got to Inskip Point and lowered the tyres for the run to the Manta Ray. Less than 100 metres from the bitumen down she went. Lack of clearance saw her sitting belly on the sand with 4 wheels spinning in the air. A young bloke in a troopy decided we needed to be on the barge so after much effort he dragged us across the sand and right up into the barge.

Headed off up the beach and she towed no problems at all until we left that hard stuff to go into Dundaburra and down she went again. This time my mate who beat me up there by a day pulled us into the camp ground.

Another mate towed the camper trailer back to Inskip for me and I managed to get all the way to the bitumen at Inskip on my own.

Photo below of her sitting at Inskip.

LOL, sorry to laugh mate but that picture is Gold!
    My mate has bought a Rav4 & was wondering about going to Fraser. I reckon I'll tell him not to bother.......

Did you get up to Ngkala in your travels in your mates cars? what is the state of the track? and also did you have a look at the champagne pools? what sort of condition are they in?

Some pics would be good if you have them,

cheers
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Ha ha haaa, Yep that picture is gold. It doesnt look like its bogged but, until you look at the front bash gaurd under the front bumper. Clearance was always going to be your problem Derek. Bit ambitious with the trailer also.

Heath - I HATE those bloody rav 4's... Tell him to leave it at home. 1 did a clutch right infront of me on a track and there was no way to pass it. Held up tour bus's and everything for almost 2 hours. I wanted to just push the w@nker out of my way with my bumper.

Not to mention the guys try and drag you off the lights as they are a bit zippy. BEGINNERS

Sorry to hear that Derek - it was always going to be soft stuff that was an issue. It seems like you got around ok without the trailer - I've definitely seen many vitaras up there without trailers and they seemed to be ok.

I've had many friends over the years take RAV4's, vitaras and foresters up there without any significant issue - but never towing. Towing a trailer is another kettle of fish altogether.