Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best time to visit your beautiful country fishing wise

Re: Best time to visit your beautiful country fishing wise

Seriously DO NOT under estimate the distances.... particularly in the west.

I've been traveling north to visit relatives the last few years.... here are some times to get your head arround.

Brisbane to Mackay...two drivers.....fast comfortable car....( not a campervan) 12 hours, leaving Brisbane ( southside) early ( no later than 5am)......leave 6am.... add an hour bad weather add an hour.....road work add an hour.....road accedent on critical bridge ( make camp).....lots of long wide loads on the road add up to an hour.......... souther camper migration..... add an hour especialy if you are not on the road early........... no stopps no pissing arround...... 1 stop for fuel and meal.......10 minute leg stretchers and driver change every 2 hours.

brisbane to cairns... allow 3 days.... solid driving.

townsville to mt Isa..... allow 2 days.

There is plenty to do and plenty of places to fish..... but don't expect to roll into a place for 1 day and catch fish......up noth the fish have so much choice......there are creeks and places where you can catch almost anything and easily on a good day..... but not be able to raise a scale for weeks.

between brisbane and mackay, you could fish a different empoundment evey day for a fortnight......and that is not counting rivers creeks and the ocean.

the palagic fish here dont so much come in and out they travel north and south.... so for most of the year they are on somewhere.

seriously.... 3 weeks.... that won't be enough for QLD.

We took out time heading north this time.....a couple of weeks ago......we spent some time looking at posible locations to fish and holiday.

we looked at quite a few of the empoundments and the well known costal fishing spots........in have a look arround and on to the next.......We did not fish for a week... just looking.

must do........lake awonga........best facilities......... best guides... keep driving past monduran ( or perhaps stop fpr a look)......stop at foxies bara havock in GinGin.........he has stuff you cant get anywhere else and he knows what its going on.

stay at least 1 day at Tanum sands..........good facilities beautifull fish the tides in wild cattle creek... fish the surf.

turkey beack might be worth it if you do a charter out of there..... but it aint pretty.

1770 / Agnes Water are all very touristy... but to my mind overrated.

Mackay is certainly worth a stay.....the pioneer valy to the west is ver pretty and has 3 stocked empoundments... kenchant has a modest "tourist park" but the location is the winner and you can do tembura from there......I night in the broken river resort is worth it....... seethe platapuss while you are there ( dawn & dusk) good walks and look outs arround here.
    Then you can go back to mackay and hook up a reef charter or stay at one of the beachesand fish the estury.

yeh yeh...... you can do the whitsundays..... but that is worh 3 weeks on its own.

the townsville area has plenty to offer.....you could fish a two different places a day for a fortnight..........there are 3 empoundments right in town and you can catch fish 200m from the main street ( and often not).......acouple of days on magnetic island is well worth it.

A trip out to the Burdekin dam is worth it if only for the look.....it is massive.... and it is stocked......the spilway is 500+meters wide and rund over 6m in flood......have lunch at the railway hotel on Ravenswood on the way.

& I havn't touched the Hinchinbrook or anything north of T'ville

as you can see there is soo much to do......if you want some serious charter fishing......go to the NT or west of the cape...... but if you spend less than a fortnight there you are wasting your time.

seriously if you stay in caravan parks or modest hotells..... it isnt expensive...... so come back a couple of times..... but don't piss ypur airfiar up against the wall by being intoo much of a hurry.

If you want a hit and run tour.... you need to be fishing charters.

OH... if you arent keen on humidity..... come in winter or at best autumn......the rates are cheaper and you miss the crowds... aprill,May, june.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

You are all getting carried away with the east coast and where you have to travel to catch the variety ol Ken wants. Forget the East Coast mate. Go straight to Exmouth on the west coast and you wont have to go any where else. Best place on the planet bar none.

Hi Ken,

Whenever you do visit and hit the Brisbane area, be sure to call me. I am certain we can arrange for some free accomodation on the Sunshine Coast for a few days, which will help to make your budget balance.

The same probably goes for the rest of our East Coast. Not so guys???

You guys are too kind! Thanks for all the offers for fishing...and the accommodation offer is unreal! I heard Australians are friendly people...but that's a lot of hospitality even for a Canadian!

Much appreciated for everything. Even though I have the flight covered (which is usually $1500 at the cheapest but more like $2000), 3 weeks of traveling is quite a bit to budget. Anything helps.

What are your thoughts on traveling by Greyhound Australia? It seems like a good idea to me getting from say Sydney to Brisbane or Brisbane to Cairns. I think I could make stops along the way and hop back on a bus a few days later...as long as I use one of those mileage passes.

Sure beats driving on my own...and if it is an overnight bus, I can save on accommodation for the night

If I'm in the city for a few days, I would like rent a car to get around...but if I'm traveling long distance, I think the coach bus is more attractive.

Thoughts?

Oh, if you want some information of fishing British Columbia, Canada or Ontario, Canada, I'm more than willing to help. I've first hand experience with BC having fished it twice. I have some experience with Ontario in certain areas as well...mostly in Southern Ontario about a 3 hours radius from Toronto