Thread: Qld Morwong aka Blackall, Slatey Bream

Qld Morwong aka Blackall, Slatey Bream

Caught one of these about 70cm the other day, and despite what Id heard about MILF, I decided to eat one. They are surprisingly OK to eat, a lot like a big bream in texture and flavour. No bones at all, so I dont know where the bad rep comes from. A spicy recipe helps add some flavor.

Cut fillet into bite size pieces and pan fry in a little oil with chopped shallotts and ginger until it just turns white, 1-2 mins max. Add half can of coconut oil, and chopped chillies, 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Cook another 1-2 mins. Dont overcook. Serve with rice.

For the record, the nsw morwong is a different fish altogether.

Anybody else eat the qld morwong? Not as great as a reef fish, but I will eat them again, rather than throw them back.

Andrew
    Last edited by the gecko; 02-07-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Re: Qld Morwong aka Blackall, Slatey Bream

Here is a recipe that can make ANYTHING taste good. Even carp
    Take three good lengths of foil , Shiny side down then the next Layer shiny side up, the next shiny side down.
    In a bowl mix a can of coconut cream , 1 tbl spoon of green curry past, Good squirt of lime juice (or juice of one lime), 1 tbl spoon of brown sugar (or palm sugar) , A shake of fish sauce,
    And Chopped Thai chillies if you like the heat. If you have Kaffir lime leaves add them on top of the next stage,,,,

Note; If your looking after your heart, Substitute Carnation milk and Coconut essence instead of the coconut cream.

Fillet the MILF and if its big you can chunk it up into 2" cubes.
    Make a boat out of the foil layers, Place the MILF in and add the liquid soup.

Bring it all up and fold over to seal (Make it into a boat shape, Dont want juices running)
    Prick a few holes with a skewer, No more than five pricks.

Place onto a BBQ grill at Medium to low high heat and let boil away for 25 - 30 Min.
    Open it up keeping the juices intact, Place fish on jasmine rice and pour over the jus

Bloody beautiful, No matter what fish you use.
    Trevs, Mowies, Carp, Shark, Aus Salmon, Anything with a strong flavour (Or no flavour) , Will work ok.

Andrew, good luck to you if you got a good one mate, used to keep them and eat them from up around Cooktown, but the models we caught further south around the Keppels were unbearable, real iodiny taste. They must vary individually taste wise( or was it the amount of bundy intake by self, !!), who knows ?

It seems to me the more North you go the worse they taste. Caught some at Peel and won't give them away again.
    Cheers

Take MILF and cut into 3 equal pieces.
    Put in crab pot.
    Catch Crabs.
    Cook Crabs.
    Eat Crabs.
    Throw MILF over edge after emptying from pots.
    Only good thing for it.
    Great fight on light gear.
    They make fresh water Barra taste great.
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.