Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best why to lay braid on spinning reels without it twisting!

Re: Best why to lay braid on spinning reels without it twisting!

If/when I do use the pencil (axle) method, especially for baitcasting reels - my kids take turns to do the winding and I hold the spool.

That way I get the feel of the exact pressure the line is being wound on under.

It gives the kids something to do and they like it. But the novelty has worn off for the missus. These days her attention span for that kind of thing is about minus 3 seconds.

If the kids are busy busy I've even held each end of the pencil between the toes of both feet and put pressure on the spool with my feet.

It can be kind of tricky but manageable if the job 'needs to be done' and y'r on a mission.

But I'm still struggling to find a suitable way to keep pressure on the braid if its coming off the side of the spool.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I put the braid in a bucket with a few cm of water in it with the label facing up then just wind it on. For overheads you use something as an axel through the spool and reel it straight on. Use a wet rag to keep heaps of tension on it

This technique seems to work well. The line is already wet and the cloth does not build up any heat
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

seriously the best thing to do with threadline reels is to tun the line on ( braid or mono) using a professional spooler with the spool off the reel.

The line ( if the person operating the spooler is any good) will lay much better on the rell if it is spooled straight off the retail spool and straight onto the spool from the reel.

I have wound line in my self then had it respooled....the difference is significant.

And most certianly if you are winding straight off the retail spool and onto the reel mounted on the rod.....you should have line comming off the side of the spool for threadlines.......if you dont you will be puttin many many unnecessary twists in the line.
    ... best bet is to bluetack the retail spool to the floor, get someone to hold it or put it in a vice... or something
    for alvies, and the overhead types the line should come off the spool like a roller.....pencil or such is fine

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    the bucket idea is the same as the pencil, as long as the spool keeps spinning and does not flop over to one side...
    It seems the bucket idea is the same as the pencil-axle method and it is not off the 'side of the spool'.

So for those ausfishers who do let the line off the 'side of the spool' when transferring it onto spinning reels... what method do you use for keeping the line under pressure as its being wound on?

Quote Originally Posted by PNG1M View Post
    It seems the bucket idea is the same as the pencil-axle method and it is not off the 'side of the spool'.

So for those ausfishers who do let the line off the 'side of the spool' when transferring it onto spinning reels... what method do you use for keeping the line under pressure as its being wound on?

I only use a cm or 2 of water. The spool sits flat on the bottom of the bucket. I do it with the label up as Berkley suggest. They also say to flip it over if any twist develops. The wet rag gives heaps of pressure
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

OK, thanks I'll have to try that method when I spool my 560 slammer.

Another way, to also keep the kids occupied is to let them wind as you hold the spool, but you need a fair bit of area for this method.

You let the line off the side of the spool as you walk backwards 50m or so then you get your kids to "reel you in!"

Then you can keep pressure on the line as you walk back towards the rod.
    Repeat the process until the reel is full, then go getta beer..!