Thread: beginners outfit - dud or good?

beginners outfit - dud or good?

Hello blokes, it's been ages since I've been in here ... that's what having kids will do to you.

I used to do some trout fly fishing in the UK and wouldn't mind giving it a go in Moreton Bay and up the Sunny Coast for estuary species

I found a starter kit deal online. It's a Shakespeare Flymaster 7/9 weight rod, South Pacific 1070 reel, with line, leaders, braided loops, backing etc included

I dont want to be too specific but the price is around 150 bucks ...

Looking for some honest advice on the rod and reel. Do you reckon they're ok for a starter or will they be more hassle than they're worth? It's not like I'd be using them every week, i'm really just looking for an excuse to tie some flies.

Any advice gratefully received.

Ben

Re: beginners outfit - dud or good?

I would look at the TFO professional series, A Gillies guide reel will sufice.
    The kits dont usually have the running line and backing that is required for salt.
    Braid backing is better for salt water, a good intermediate running line will cost from $70 and up.
    I would get a 6 or 7 wt (I use a 6) if your only interested in estuary bread and butter fish.
    35 pnd spectra backing with SA bass striper or bone fish running line are both great for our estuaries.
    good luck

Thanks mate. So I need to spend more than planned ... do you know (roughly) how much one of those TFO rods would set me back? The other candidate i had in mind was a Redington Crosswater seven-weight which seems to be about $140?

Fly bloke is on the money. You probably want a slightly "faster" rod for saltwater than you would normally use for trout, so just be aware of the action of the rod. This is because the flies tend to be bigger and heavier (generally) than trout flies and the faster rod will put a lot more energy in your line for pushing them out there, which is especially nice when it is windy. The downside is that they are less delicate in the presentation, which is not usually an issue with saltwater... I think www.########.com.au has some TFO (Tempe Fork Outfitters) rods.

Ben,

I've got two in the shed if you want to borrow one. I'm planning a trip back to Tassie in Oct/Nov to do a walk through the Highland Western Lakes for 3 days - fly fishing all the way. Tough I know so I'm getting a bit of practice in myself at the moment.
    How is the family?
    Brett

Its actually a tough question.... I have gear worth heaps... can I say that I started with a shakespear and if your budget is flat out where you said, then you could do worse, it is not total rubbish. A lot of todays fly gear is quite good at the lower end. Try "proangler" for some value stuff.

You do get what you pay for though so more money will mean better actions etc. That is easy to say though, flyfishing is my major passion so I can justify almost anything. It would be no good though to invest in some quality gear if you were only half hearted and wanted to fiddle around a little. If you can borrow some gear or try somebody elses that would be a great start, get the feel of what you would like to have by way of size and action etc.

Personally I think that expensive salt water gear is a waste for me, I trash my stuff a lot, especially around salt water. Some of my mates though have super flash salt gear and love it and justify it, its just horses for courses.
    Cheers

Chris

(AKA "Wolfy," raised by wolves in the Tasmanian highlands)