Thread: casting distance

casting distance

i have just purchased a fly rod and have been learning how tocast it, im getting bout 20m to my casts, is this average or low distance, cheers bennykenny

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Re: casting distance

Aim for good technique rather then distance.
    The distance will come along as your casting action improves.
    are you being shown the ropes?

just from a dvd that came with the package

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

the quality of your fly line will help too - i originally bought a "cheap" combo outfit and eventually upgraded to a decent rod i found on ebay at a good price - but still couldn't push out any decent casts until i got a good line - I am still working on it though - sometimes i can get a decent distance and sometimes it's just bl00dy frustrating - for me it all comes down to timing and rhythm and am still learning how to bring it all together every time.....

that said I pulled a 30cm black bream at the mouth of the daintree on the weekend - and despite being a pretty small offering - it really got me fired up to have more of a crack again as i seem to always put the fly rod back in the rack for long periods of time (that and the 15 or so 10cm trevs i got - which were fun in themselves).

tuna time out the front from cairns here on sunday is all i'm hoping for.