Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick belt question?

Red face Quick belt question?

Are all dive belts the same width. I need one about 42mm.

Re: Quick belt question?

get a rubber Rob Allen one... wont regret it

Quote Originally Posted by preso View Post
    Are all dive belts the same width. I need one about 42mm.
    The belts I have are 45mm but may have started at 42mm years ago. All my gear is old so I am not sure what more modern kit is. If you have a problem with weights moving on your belt, then squash slightly to tighten them but only enough so you can still remove and replace them. cheers

Why does it need to be 42mm?

Gleeeza

I cant streess how good a rubber belt is

Quote Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
    I cant streess how good a rubber belt is
    How come?

I just read your thread with the pics in it..... awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.

Hope you plan to keep adding to it.

cheers fnq

I find the rubber belts sit and grip firmly around my waste, unlike other belts where you have to pull them very tight which is uncomfortable...

the rubber belts only need to be snug and the rubber natually grips well to the wetsuit and the weights dont slip and slide anywhere..

The reason for the 42mm is that I made the weights. But I found a belt that works ok, with a ittle bit of adjustment to the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
    I find the rubber belts sit and grip firmly around my waste, unlike other belts where you have to pull them very tight which is uncomfortable...

the rubber belts only need to be snug and the rubber natually grips well to the wetsuit and the weights dont slip and slide anywhere..
    what about the elastic weight belts on the market Kokomo? i've seen Omer versions of the elastic, and Picasso versions of the ruber belts. but i cannot find the RA belt you mention.

what about weight vests. i reckon they'd be even better still, but i am to see one that i am happy with.

maybe i'll have to get my mum to knock one up for me on the old singer sewing machine.

Weight vests work fine but be aware they are a little harder to remove in a hurry. Also water can sneak into your suit under your jacket a little easier than with a belt.
    Most guys who wear a vest also wear a belt without weights to stop the water entering.

Quote Originally Posted by Badone View Post
    Weight vests work fine but be aware they are a little harder to remove in a hurry. Also water can sneak into your suit under your jacket a little easier than with a belt.
    Most guys who wear a vest also wear a belt without weights to stop the water entering.

I've been wearing a vest for a little while now and find it to be really good. I use to get a sore lower back after diving (old age) but I find the vest seems to negate this. Was worried about how quick you can get out of one so as I go into shallow water where the boat is I practice releasing it quickly so it becomes an automatic response.

personally i wont look into one until my back plays up!

i enjoy the safety side.. also its almost more important for your buddy to know how to release your weight belt as there is a good chance that he will be the one who will be releasing it!

Boney, You can't release a vest if you are unconscious. With a belt you can pull the loose end and release the buckle if you think you might not make the surface while keeping the belt around your waist. Then if you black out the belt will fall away because you go limp and release the loose end. Hopefully your suit will be buoyant enough to allow you to float to the surface. This system works... I know.
    With a vest you have to make the decision to drop the vest while you are still awake which would get a little expensive in the long run. Vests, by their design, will not fall away by themselves even when unbuckled. They are great on the old back but be aware of their limitations.