Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick belt question?

Re: Quick belt question?

Quote Originally Posted by Badone View Post
    Boney, You can't release a vest if you are unconscious ...
    With a vest you have to make the decision to drop the vest while you are still awake which would get a little expensive in the long run. Vests, by their design, will not fall away by themselves even when unbuckled.
    Point taken Badone but what I do is quick release the waist and one shoulder strap (2 clips)and continue to surface. When I practice this the weight shifts to the remaining strapped shoulder. If I remain still it then pulls the shoulder down and falls off much like your belt does.

Prevention of course is the best option.

That sounds like a good safe system Boney. I didn't know that the vests would self detach even if unstrapped. Like you said, practice it when things are good so that it's easy when things are not so good.

ill never wear a vest...

i have seen black outs.. i have had to drop a weight belt after a deep long dive..

nothing beats the standard belt IMO a weight belt is a consumable..

Quote Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
    ill never wear a vest...

i have seen black outs.. i have had to drop a weight belt after a deep long dive..

nothing beats the standard belt IMO a weight belt is a consumable..
    If you are seeing black outs (plural) and see your belt as a consumable then maybe you're pushing the envelope a bit too far and moving towards reckless behaviour. I'm not having a go at you mate (each to their own) but just concerned about safety and the message that may send to new people who come into the sport. In my 25 years of diving I haven't seen it once and I hope I never do. This maybe because we rarely dive more than 20m but I'd like to think it's because we don't hyperventilate and know our limits.

Keep up the good work - love the photos but stay safe!!