Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiting Bait

Whiting Bait

With the price of worms, surely there must be other baits that r just as good.
    Any suggestions?

Cheers
    Greg

Re: Whiting Bait

Gulp 6" sandworms are the go. I have only used either natural or red and cannot tell the difference.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

hey what about gulp sand worms they look pretty real.

get your self a pump and pump some pink nippers the best bait around for whiting

I have used Gul worms with great success on winter whiting but not on summer whiting.
    Flatzie

earth worms. for lures 2 inch cammo gulp worms and there red wriggla worms in a jar have worked verry well for me so have tt switch blades, river2sea bubble pops and sx40 have allso caught me quite a few of them, use to get a few on pumkinseed and pink lemonade power grubs. pippies, peeled prawns and mucles have worked. got this fella on the weekend on a stiffy minnow
    figjam :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by nuggstar View Post
    earth worms. for lures 2 inch cammo gulp worms and there red wriggla worms in a jar have worked verry well for me so have tt switch blades, river2sea bubble pops and sx40 have allso caught me quite a few of them, use to get a few on pumkinseed and pink lemonade power grubs. pippies, peeled prawns and mucles have worked. got this fella on the weekend on a stiffy minnow
    You beat me to it mate, I used to use earthworms down Gossford way, worked a treat............

Go down to the seafood shop and get yourself some squid tubes, but make sure there not the tenderised/scored ones. cut em into thin strips and wack em on the hook. works for me.
    CHEERS BRAD

Worms are all i ever use for whiting. I catch them myself. i suggest you learn how. its great fun and you can get heaps, and its a skill that you shouldnt lose

cheers

Owen

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Best way is to maximize the worms by salting them down and that way they last for up to six months in the fridge crisper (not freezer) and you often get half a dozen whiting on one bait rather than the one-cast-one-hit as with live worms.

Cover the worms with a thick layer of coarse salt (pool salt), let them sit for about ten minutes, shake of the excess salt, put them between thick sheets of newspaper and press down gently. Leave for another ten minutes. Divide them into several zippy bags and add a small amount of olive oil to each one.

They will stay nice and tough and rubbery and are the duck's guts for whiting.

If you approach the bait dealer, he will often sell you the bits 'n pieces that nobody wants to buy and even the almost-dead ones will all salt down to good bait and he will usually sell them to you at half price!

Squid cut into worm like baits works well and is drop dead cheap just thread it on, sometimes less is definitely more depending on how the fish feel about biting, every trip will need a different presentation or amount put on the hook. Not as good as worms but not that far off and a whole shelf better than plastics

cheers fnq

learn how to catch them yourself (as mentioned) it can be as much fun as fishing sometimes, and the family will enjoy a day at the beach. Bait is them forever free.

i caught one on a 30 lb /triple 50 gang baited with a wa pilly....

mind you it was only the once..

2 to 3 inch gulp sandworms... new penny or camo work pretty good too

cheers chris

go the gulp worms, picked up 15 whiting on saturday between 2 of us. One mate was a bait fisher who quickly turned to the gulps afte i got the first three... LOL

gulps sound good.
    pinkpanter. that is real good info. thanks
    chris. 30lb triple5/0. sure that wasnt ur bait mate. good on ya. cheers
    noelm. mate i have tried catching the sand worms. i should trying pichforking in the mud.

cheers everyone. all helpful advise except chris. sorry mate all good

cheers
    greg