Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I need a new barra baitcaster

Re: I need a new barra baitcaster

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    I think the torque ratio comes into the equation when battling the big units
    For sure D, ya damed if you do, and damed if you dont though. How many have had a fish that has changed direction early in the blue, when their crankiness is only matched by their energy levels (the fish that is), and you can not wind fast enough to keep tight?

Anyways, just my thoughts, Im off to watch QLD kick a bit of cocky butt.
    Go the 'roons, 4 in a row baby!!!!!

Yes 30 is the compromise. 2 Bob each way as we used to say. Not too heavy not too light? Hence the several rods in the boat, open water and sticks. Fast slow?

Johnny are you back on the water or is it still shut down?

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

After crying in my beer ..... Here is one for you

I've only twice had line failure on a fish .......... The line swollen & popped & on average fish ...... faulty braid
    Other than that ..... never popped the braid on a barra

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thumbs up Re: I need a new barra baitcaster

Good night Chris "Queenslander!"

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    On the water, I do tend to use the higher geared zill for suspending shallow diving hard bods, and the slower chronarch for SP work.
    Interesting Brian I tend the other way. I have both a crazy cranker and 7.1 zillion (HSLA???) and use the crazy cranker for retrieving hardbodies whilst the higher retrieve is used for SP's. Reasoning behind is that more often I am trying to pick up slack on SP's and make bumps into hookups hence any faster retrieval is beneficial.

On the other hand I figure that a hard body equipped with all its trebles represents "easier" (for want of a better word) hook up potential and the benefits of using a slower reel will offer more options in terms of retrieve styles than using the higher speed options.

Not saying I'm wrong or right and I do chop and change depending on the desired presentation but just my starting thoughts

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Interesting Brian I tend the other way. I have both a crazy cranker and 7.1 zillion (HSLA???) and use the crazy cranker for retrieving hardbodies whilst the higher retrieve is used for SP's. Reasoning behind is that more often I am trying to pick up slack on SP's and make bumps into hookups hence any faster retrieval is beneficial.

On the other hand I figure that a hard body equipped with all its trebles represents "easier" (for want of a better word) hook up potential and the benefits of using a slower reel will offer more options in terms of retrieve styles than using the higher speed options.

Not saying I'm wrong or right and I do chop and change depending on the desired presentation but just my starting thoughts

Scott
    I would have thought the same ...... burn the placcy on touchdown
    Slow for the HB

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post

Scott
    Scotty, howyagoinmate!

The big question I spose is "Is there a wrong or right?'
    So many differant scenarios we are faced with on the water, changing by the minute, and our choices are coloured by what has worked for us before at that time, or in that spot, or by what we have absorbed, either knowingly or not, from external influences- here, mags, the bloke you spoke to at the ramp, a pic youve seen (just hope its real hey), whoa, list is pretty long.
    Again interesting though, your thoughts are 180 degree opposite to mine, no wrong or right I reckon, just what works for each of us as individuals, with confidence in the chosen method the main factor.

Scotty, howyagoinmate!

The big question I spose is "Is there a wrong or right?'
    So many differant scenarios we are faced with on the water, changing by the minute, and our choices are coloured by what has worked for us before at that time, or in that spot, or by what we have absorbed, either knowingly or not, from external influences- here, mags, the bloke you spoke to at the ramp, a pic youve seen (just hope its real hey), whoa, list is pretty long.
    Again interesting though, your thoughts are 180 degree opposite to mine, no wrong or right I reckon, just what works for each of us as individuals, with confidence in the chosen method the main factor.
    Now Brian ..... If you swapped around you might be able to catch barra

As we know , our own personal cadence plays a more important role than actual reel gearing - Having the fore-site / ability to change up or down might win the day.
    I'm always amused by the ball scratch strike Damn I hate that!!!!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The higher the water resistance on the lure, the lower the gearing needs to be for ease of winding.
    A deep diver with heavy resistance is easily worked with lower gearing.
    High speed luring or high speed techniques work equally well with hard or soft lure. High speed line retrieval helps during the hook-up stage, and assists the angler in staying in contact with fast moving fish; a daily occurence in barra lakes. High speed reels minimise slack line, but the trade off is too fast of a line recovery when trying for super slow presentations, even with dead slow handle winds.
    Almost any reel will do the job, regardless of gear ratio, but when you get serious about it all, you will find that some gearing doesn't quite suit some jobs. Two reels with different ratios are often the answer. Spin tackle can slot in amongst this discussion for its position in the game- varied spool diameters, varied gear ratios, mixed handle sizes, even rod length can all join in to produce a greater balanced outfit for the task being asked.
    JM

slow, fast, quick, slow, tic tic boom dave get what you can afford fish the different styes mentioned add to the variety of gear offered over time as you see fit to alter the effect as Johnny metioned and enjoy....

I Love Barra there a fish with a million questions and I got one answer when am I going next!!!!!

[quote=Tropicaltrout;1037092]slow, fast, quick, slow, tic tic boom dave get what you can afford fish the different styes mentioned add to the variety of gear offered over time as you see fit to alter the effect as Johnny metioned and enjoy....

I Love Barra there a fish with a million questions and I got one answer when am I going next!!!!![/quote]

Mate ..... you cant just leave that thought hanging without answers -

So with your sanity in mind ...... 10th or 17th July ( if the weather lead up is favorable)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Now Brian ..... If you swapped around you might be able to catch barra

Chris

never a truer word spoken mate.

Then again, if I snuck in a cast net, some dynamite, snorkel mask and spear gun, 50 meters of gill net and a dozen cord set lines, my chances COULD increase dramatically!
    Food for thought............

Chris, used your pic in my avatar, and also in a moment of bundy induced fuzziness, enetred it in A.A pic of the month comp mate, hope thats cool?

never a truer word spoken mate.

Then again, if I snuck in a cast net, some dynamite, snorkel mask and spear gun, 50 meters of gill net and a dozen cord set lines, my chances COULD increase dramatically!
    Food for thought............
    I thought that was standard tackle for some
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris, used your pic in my avatar, and also in a moment of bundy induced fuzziness, enetred it in A.A pic of the month comp mate, hope thats cool?
    Not a drama at all Brian ....... I was lucky / privileged enough to have been there to witness the capture.
    I do say ..... some of the best photos come when taken from another boat - a different perspective

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO