Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I need a new barra baitcaster

Re: I need a new barra baitcaster

I prefer Zillions although I just got a couple of Revo Elite Auroras that are almost as good and look better. They are a bit above the budget though. In my opinion, the best value for money low profile reel for Barra at retail price is the Daiwa Hard Rock Fish. One you may be able to find in a big Snake type store is a Pflueger Trion Low Profile. I found one at Springwood for $100. These are the smoothest reels off the shelf I've ever used, however they suffer from a poor drag. A set of Erskines fixes that. I have one that has lasted over 7 years, I just wish I could remember who I loaned it to!

Callop,
    What sized line do you really want fo fish?
    Do you have a geat rod? Balance is paramount. More information from you may help readers give extra ideas that may help you. I still think options are endless, until further info helps us all with a finer lined answer. If you want to fish 20 lb braid instead of 40, that may just change a few responses. Will this be your only outfit for barra, or will you have others? Soft plastics? or both hard lures too? Suggesting a reel to suit certain guidelines is an easier job.
    Cheers,
    Johnny

hey chemical brother, i use both the curado3000 and the revo sx, love em both,hard to lean towards one or the other, the revo is a tad smaller , prob suit your limp wrist..both have heaps of guts, and cast well, i prob lean towards the curado,slightly only because it just feels so nice to cast n hold, no drag issues with both, they are very smooth, tuff reels.. just remember to back your drag right off when not in use, dont leave those washers squashed or you will have sticky probs down the track..
    deano..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    you were lucky to get home with the HLC too mate!!!....had my eye on it too....that and Big Ren's morethan brazino or what ever they are called...he was lucky that didnt get left behind in Gin Gin....accidently of course
    Stevo.....Should be called Morethan Enufftodrink
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Dont worry ....... The boys ended up with the HLC - I only rescued it from Gazz this arvo
    Sorry about that Naggs.....Gaz had it lined up for ebay when bloody Trev and you called I said to Gaz, quick, pull over to the side of the road and we'll get rid of it....that's when Daryl spotted us
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    I prefer Zillions although I just got a couple of Revo Elite Auroras that are almost as good and look better. They are a bit above the budget though. In my opinion, the best value for money low profile reel for Barra at retail price is the Daiwa Hard Rock Fish. One you may be able to find in a big Snake type store is a Pflueger Trion Low Profile. I found one at Springwood for $100. These are the smoothest reels off the shelf I've ever used, however they suffer from a poor drag. A set of Erskines fixes that. I have one that has lasted over 7 years, I just wish I could remember who I loaned it to!
    Pflueger reels are my fav i have 2 trion lp aand i love them like you said smooth as mine have had barra and jacks on them and ii cant fault them so far drag is lighter then ya exspenxive reels but hey i dont like to tight a drag tighter it is the more strain you put on all ya knots trebles etc

The latest from Abu is the Revo Elite ###### and the Ataksuki. Both have caught barra and will cast into next week

The Revo ######

zillion all the way for mine,
    IMHO shimano dont make a baitcaster to rival it,
    i cant believe people are comparing zills with curados. haha cmon guys,

Quote Originally Posted by yellahunter View Post
    The Zillion is a fine reel but sells at a very different price point to the new Curado. The latter is a casting machine and outperforms the Zillion for lighter lures since it has a lighter spool. Moreover, it is very light overall, has a super-low profile, and a smoother drag. Why can't Daiwa fix the sticky drag problem in their high end reels? We shouldn't have to fix them with Carbontex upgrades. The Curado E7 is currently the best reel on the market for the $ IMHO.

The Antares AR (Calais 100) is close to being one of the best all round baitcasters out there - but for some strange reason it is not stocked in Oz :-(

BTW, I have both Daiwas and Shimanos and like aspects of both. Not sure why Daiwa have gone down the Magforce Z route - I much prefer the Magforce V braking as it is less finicky over a broader range of lure weights.

Quote Originally Posted by yellahunter View Post
    When you spend that much on a reel you have to say its the best or you look a total tosser hey??
    Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    Callop,
    What sized line do you really want fo fish?
    Do you have a geat rod? Balance is paramount. More information from you may help readers give extra ideas that may help you. I still think options are endless, until further info helps us all with a finer lined answer. If you want to fish 20 lb braid instead of 40, that may just change a few responses. Will this be your only outfit for barra, or will you have others? Soft plastics? or both hard lures too? Suggesting a reel to suit certain guidelines is an easier job.
    Cheers,
    Johnny
    Hi Johnny,
    I’ve been going up to Mondy for a couple of years and when I first decided to go, I only had very light rods and reels suitable for bream or bass. The wife almost had a heart attack when I told her I needed a new rod and reel to go barra fishing and that $500 is considered cheap. I didn’t mention the cost of lures and braid, etc. So the end result was a silstar 4-7kg and the echelon. I have since upgraded the silstar to a 6-10kg dropshot.

My plan over the next year or so is to get a decent baitcast rod and reel for hard bodies and a decent spin rod and reel for soft plastics. I’ll keep using the dropshot until it explodes and then replace it with an Egrell or similar.
    50lb seems to be the norm on baitcasters and 30lb for spin but I am certainly open to suggestions.

Dave
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

cheaper end of the scale around $230 I'm happy with my Daiwa HRF.
    done great so far for Barra in impoundments and also take it in the boat. have it on a loomis GL2-GL3 something can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMark View Post
    When you spend that much on a reel you have to say its the best or you look a total tosser hey??
    Paulo
    nah not really mate,
    i bought mine back when the aussie dollar was strong in japan,
    probaly paid less for my zillion than guys are paying for curados now,
    not about the $$ anyways, who cares about that, its about what gear you like to use,

Mate I cant recomend anything other than a Chronarch
    Its a low profile reel the really punches about its weight
    Ive caught a few barra over the meter mark with mine I love it

Isn't it interesting how we have progressed with our barra tackle ....... 4 years ago this question would have been responded to with the call for the need of big drum type baitcasters ...... ie Daiwa Black-sheep ( & other millionaire derivatives) , Calcutta's & ABUs ...... with suped up drags & 50lb braid

Today ..... Its all about low profile bait-casters & spin reels ........ with more of us using 30lb & even 20lb braid.

Comfort & smoothness are todays priorities ...... specially to those devotees of cast & retrieve.

We've come to realise that its not all about BALLS & GRUNT ..... where we overstretch hooks , leaders & split-rings. ........ now we back our drags off - chase fish down ...... & we land more / bigger barra.

As fishing pressure continues to impact on our results ...... the need to progress further down the path of finesse tackle / techniques will become the pre requisite for consistent results

How good is this sh_t

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO