Thread: Fishing Evans Head

Fishing Evans Head

Some of mates and I are heading out on a small fishing holiday and we are wondering what are some good actually great (if possible) land based fishing spots around Evans or the northern river area, we will be taking a small car so 4x4 is out, but we don't mind walking a k or two along the beach if its going to be worth it!

We are happy with beach or river as long as its going to be plentiful!
    Tailor, whiting, bream, jew.. we are not fussed on species so if you know a spot and what inhabits the area please let us know!

Re: Fishing Evans Head

Anywhere alone the headlands might get a fish.
    Snapper Rock to the south is always worth a throw.
    Plenty of beaches too and you can drive on them but please drive slow as there are many walkers etc all the way up.
    You can drive along the river a bit of the southern side through Bungalung reserve.
    Ballina is not too far away and a lot of beach between Ballina and Evans but you cannot drive all the way from Ballina to Evans.
    Nowhere is guaranteed fish but you can only try.
    Have a yarn to the young fella at the tackle shop. He's pretty friendly and knowledgeable if you can get him to talk. He's shy.
    Enjoy yourself what ever you do
    Cheers Scott
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Hey mate,

i've been to Evans a few times myself. Its a nice fishing village, and the camp grounds are great too. There is a bar at Evans with a north and south wall. Both reletively good to fish off depending on tides and wind directions. However there is also a little Training wall there. If you head to the little tackle shop there, They'll be able to point you in the right direction. But stomper bream off all of those walls. You know just a light setup and very little weight. Apart from that there are some rocks called 'Snapper Rocks' about 1km from Either 'Airforce beach' or 'Chinamans Beach', not sure which one. The last time i was there it was too rough to fish off. So from the lookout... If it looks too rough, dont bother walking out, as it takes ages. Just fish the training wall instead. Or if you'd prefer there is a guy who hires kyack's and canoes. He'll drop you upstream and you can just take your time coming back downstream with the tide. There would be heaps of whiting around, maybe the occasional flatty, and bream for sure. Hope this helps mate.

Regards Matt

There is some good tailor fishing off the rocks if you drive up past the lookout above the inlet, where the coastguard is then walk as far as you can due East till you get to a beacon at the top of the hill then head to the rocks and beaches to your right, Iv'e never missed picking up tailor there at this time of year.

Baz.