Thread: Support the Ship Shop

Support the Ship Shop

Before i start... No affiliation whatsoever blah blah...

Anyway I am sure some or many of you know about the "Ship Shop" or is that the "Shop Ship"? Its that big double decker barge floating around down the gold coast and jumpinpin with a decent convenience store on board... A floating shop... Sells liquor, bait, small amount of fishing gear, small grocery lines, ice blocks and lollies etc etc.

It pulls up next to us on Sunday just past near the pin on the beach and lowers the plank. Curious, I go inside and check it out... Very cool setup. Brought an ice block for myself and the wife and some gummy snakes for my young boy. Asked hows it going and the bloke running it said "quiet". Surprising as there were a stack of boats about near the pin. Wife spots a business for sale sign on the boat somewhere.. not sure if it was for the ship shop or something else but may have been for the ship shop.

Anyway it would be a shame if this operation had to cease through lack of patronage. I thought the prices on the stuff on offer were very reasonable considering the costs which are probably involved with delivering the goods direct to your boat on the water (the ship will come right to you if its in the near area, even anchored up if you like) - get em on the radio. Prices were only about 20% more than what you might pay at your local store... I was quite surprised.. Anyway I thought, damn if I had run out of bait on a weekend and was near the pin or on the water well away from supplies... this would be a great service to have, and very convenient... Would be a shame to see it go or not be available due to lack of support from the boating public...

So next time ya see this ship, muster up some coins, even if only a small amount and support a handy service when it comes around next. My kids think its a bit of an attraction now and can't wait to go on board and get a treat next time.

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Re: Support the Ship Shop

Yeah mate I agree, would be a shame if the Ship Shop was no more. Its a great idea.

now thats a smart move from an entreprenuer (sp). There used to be a bloke that had a shark cat set up like an ice cream van, and used to cruise around port hacking in summer, he would pull up near all the little beaches, and the ski boat launching places, you could hail him down if you were fishing, had a top little earner going there. I admire people who think outside the square and have a go. I would think it would be a very seasonal thing though. Maybe a party boat tyoe craft with a coffee machine would be the go these days, like the mobile coffee vans that tour the beaches (the one that is at Cardwell does veeery nice coffees).....always stopped and grabbed a coffee whenever I passed through.

Greg

ahhhh Greg

Mate it is all now very paddington with cappucino afloat and a selection of cakes , goumet icecream , hot chips , pies papers and .................You could order the day before if you want lunch platters.

Think there is ones on hawksbury as well.

Cafes in the harbour beaches got peeved at bloke who used to pull up selling iceblocks , ice and fancy sambos and had to offer a delivery to the beach towel service and several ganged up to warn which way he was headed around the harbour and would go round and get orders before he arrived. Councils had a problem as they goyt money for cafe leases but had little control of stuff below the high water mark. There was biffo