Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savoury Mince

Savoury Mince

I've tried everywhere else, may as well try a fishing site. does anyone have a beef savoury mince recipe.

Jerson.

Re: Savoury Mince

will post one tomorrow night. The old savoury mince is one of the most versatile recipes you can use. Tell me what sort of flavours and spices you like, and i will post up a mouth watering recipe for you.

Greg

Hi Jerson
    Depending on what you like in the way of spices etc he are some ideas.

To your mince add some diced carrot, onion and any other veggies--like some beans. If the mince looks a little fatty i tend to sometimes scim the fat off the top and boil the mince first for awhile before adding veggies. Sometimes I use beef or veggie stock instead of water.
    After vegies are soft, you have added salt and pepper to taste just thicken with some good old gravox.

IMO you can add just about anything with mince that you like-- curry, garlic, mixed herbs.
    Often I just boil up the mince with some onion and thicken with gravox. Pretty yummy on toast or in a jaffle maker.

Make it to your own liking and add the things you like is the best way. Any veggie--spuds, carrot, corn, peas, beans goes well in mince.
    I'm a pretty old fashioned cook and thats the way my Nana taught me.

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    will post one tomorrow night. The old savoury mince is one of the most versatile recipes you can use. Tell me what sort of flavours and spices you like, and i will post up a mouth watering recipe for you.

Greg
    Greg, not sure of the flavors, the savoury mince they sold at primary school on a bread roll. I was at a soccer match, they sold the very same rolls, the memories flooded back. the flavor is very mild.

Jerson.

The secret is chicken noodle soup mix, Same with curry prawns.
    Brown a fine diced onion
    Ad Mince and brown
    Add fine diced carrot
    I like parsnip, So I add that , Fine diced
    Also add some fine diced waxy spuds (Desiree)
    Once you stir that for 5 mins,
    Add chicken noodle soup mix and say 3-4 cups of water.
    Turn down and simmer to reduce liquid.
    Also add at that stage some cracked pepper(No salt)and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
    Now cook it down and taste as you go, More salt? More Worcestershire.
    Once it is becoming reduced to the consistency you would like it, Add a cup or two of frozen peas.
    Let them cook for five mins and serve up.
    If you like a thiker, more gravy like liquid, Add a spoon of gravox or plane flour (If is already salty enough) when you put the peas in.
    I Like it with out thickening, This is a keep it simple recipe.
    I do this one a week for my family as a staple meal
    If I was cooking it for myself, Id add chilly.

Forgot to add, Celery fine diced goes particularly well with mince.
    Put it in after you have added the liquid.
    Guess what im making the family tomorrow night
    Ya bugga, Your making me hungry

Add a bit of finely chopped lemon rind - when you get a bit when eating it gives a tangy flavour - a bit of experimentation may be required to get the amount correct to suit the family

I always simmer the mince in water to extract the fat, drain through through a Tupperware drainer and then brown the meat before adding other ingredients as the fatty taste can and will spoil the meal
    Last edited by groverwa; 15-07-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: did not say then "brown meat"

You guys have strange taste buds or maybe I do?

Heat a wok or deep pan, add rice bran oil; throw in fine diced onion, brown
    Add small clumps of lean mince, brown. Browning the little clumps leaves the brew with a bit of added structure which I prefer.

Add spice prepared in a small cup while browning. Ie big squirt of Seasame oil, paprika, garlic salt, chilli (smidge), beef and / or chicken powdered stock and a bit of anything else you have at hand that you fancy.

Mix well the spices and sesame oil with the browned mince and onion.
    Now add a tin (large or small depending how much mince you started with) of crushed tomato and mix it all up. Also if you fancy it add a bottle of green tomato pickle to the brew for the ultimate mince.

Turn the heat down and simmer for as long as you want to reduce it from sloppy to firm depending on your preference.

Ladle the mince over a bed of rice and pop some peas on the plate too for a bit of colour.

bon appertite!

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I'm printing all of these & saving all to try, thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

Jerson

Jerson,

Interesting variety here. Boiling the mince not frying?

Thanks for posting, it is an old favorite and I remember the school savory mince roll was a beauty. When you get it right make sure you post it back here.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Mate google Taste.com.au theres every recipe you could drem of and more youll become a wizz in no time Deano.

Hi Everyone ,

I loooooove mince, does not matter weather it is chicken,turkey,lamb,pork or beef....it's great stuff & whats more, its veristile..
    I grew up on a sheep station, no turkeys or cows, but we had chooks, we also killed our own meat which was mutton....no lambs as they were babies back then & we had a mincer too, it one with a handle....guess who worked the mincer???

Anyway, back to the mince....a little bit of imagination & a great meal appears, even when you stuff it up, & it has occured on more occasions then I would like to recall , one can always fix it with vegies or pasta & a bit more spice. Great thread!

My nana's svoury mince always, always had some cabbage in it.
    In her days cabbages were cheap and added bulk to the mince to feed the hordes.
    Now the mince is cheaper then the cabbage
    But anyways back to the recipe...I haven't got one. I just chuck anything in that's about to go off in the fridge and it seems to come out palatable enough.
    If it's beef mince then it's moo surprise
    If it's chicken then it's chicken surpise etc etc.
    The surprise is we don't get crook
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Hi all
    I wil add a recipe here that my mum has made for years. I buy the mince she makes it as hers always comes out better than mine-- maybe its just the fact that theres nothing like going home for a meal.

Anyway this is what she does.

1kg beef mince.
    1 large diced onion.
    1/2 cup rice
    1 can spaghetti in tomato sauce.
    curry powder-- about a dessertspoon.
    bit of water.

brown mince and onion, add curry then rice and spaghetti. Add water just enough to make it of a good consistency to steam on a low heat for about an hour. You can add the water as needed just to keep it from going dry.
    When all is cooked serve with some warm toast or fresh buttered bread.

Like i said mine never tastes as good as mums so i ain't gonna gaurantee yours will either but its really yummy on a cold night and always better the next day.

Ronnie

Hi all this is how i like my savory mince.

1kg mince
    500grms bacon no fat or rind [Minced]
    1 carrot chopped
    2 potatoes chopped
    1 large onion chopped
    salt &pepper to taste
    plain flour
    Worcestershire sauce
    Put mince & bacon in large pot cover with water bring to boil them simmer for one hour, let cool prefferably over night . With a spatular lift off the fat sitting on the top of the mince , now bring back to boil add carrot, potato, onion, cover with more water then simmer for a couple of hours or until carrot & potato start to really soften give good stir add a shake or two of worcestershire sauce salt & pepper to taste mix some flour & water in a cup to a creamy paste slowly stir into mince to thicken simmer for ten minutes done very tasty with no fat

Geoff