Thread: Warning- Long range tanks, steel winch bullbar - Hilux

Warning- Long range tanks, steel winch bullbar - Hilux

This is really interesting - I had advice today re installing long range tanks into new diesel hiluxs. Same for fitting a steel winch/bullbar.

This info come from the fleet manager of one of the largest fleets in Qld. His info is that if a long range/dual fuel tank is fitted to a Hilux, the warranty is voided for any fuel related issues. This is even if fitted by the dealer. The fitting of these tanks is considered a modification of the fuel system and therefore breaches warranty. They had this situation arise and cost them $7k for the repair, so now they put a blanket ban on any long range tanks.

The second is that if a steel bullbar and winch is put on the hilux, then the front axle rating is exceeded and the vehicle is illegal. Obviously alloy is a better option but can you get a winch compatible one?

Don't shoot me if you don't agree with the above. It was past onto me and so I thought I would do the same, so that any of you can do your own enquiries. The source is reliable, so it is worthy of investigation.

It should be noted that anyone with or considering a commonrail diesel of any brand should ask the tank question of their dealer and get it in writing.

Cheers
    Steve

Re: Warning- Long range tanks, steel winch bullbar - Hilux

haha the old plastic fuel tank in the Hilux

one of the many reasons why I sold my D4D D/C Hilux and bought a 20yo Nissan Pootrol

if any shiite gets through the fuel filter and into the injectors it is very big bickies as stated, I would not recommend using a Bio-Diesel blend as a once off as this will clean out the system and throw all the gunk from the diesel at the fuel filter

I put an Alloy bull bar on that was winch compatible but I never fitted a winch, didn't even think of the load factor on the front????

cheers Murf

G'day,

There are two issues here.

Toyota can't "ban" you or your Toyota dealer or any aftermarket supplier from doing anything to your car. However anything that you or the dealer do that is not a Toyota design is not Toyota's responsibility - in warranty or product liability. That's not unreasonable, but in saying that, if the modification did not contribute to the failure of a Toyota part they are not entitled to disown you.

Having said that, you have to be careful. If you have your car modified you have to seek assurances that the person making the modifications is properly qualified to do it, does not exceed axle loadings or other compliance issues and assumes product liability for the modification. Your extra fuel tank should have its own filler and be installed to move fuel to the OE tank and the engine should take its supply from the OE tank with the original fuel system left intact. That way, its just a safer option than carrying jerry cans.

Just for the record, Toyota and other manufacturers do not make a wiring kit to drive trailer brakes so that the vehicle can be used to its maximum towing capacity. You buy it as an "aftermarket" supply through your dealer or selected towing equipment supplier. Using the "ban" scenario, Toyota and others could disown your brake and electical systems if you make an installation to legally do what they say their vehicle can do. Interesting!

If you don't make sure the modifier is qualified and carries adequate insurance - your insurance company can disown you, so be careful, buy on reputation, not price and ask the right questions.

The second issue, the bull bar and winch, has been around since the current HiLux was released. It's a piece of poor design. Toyota designed the "breaker" steel bullbar to replace the massive plastic bar on the current model - therefore its massive lump of steel that succeeds in making the car look uglier that it was to start with and overloads the front axle. In fact in the 4x4 diesel auto crew cab models 5 big blokes will possibly overload the front axle even without a bull bar.

Toyota is not alone in this. Any of the current crop of medium duty utes or wagons (i.e. Prado, Pajero, etc) is easily overloaded. If you have a prang or a vehicle mechanical failure and the vehicle is weighed and found to be overloaded you are probably on your own for insurance, warranty and product liability.

Moral: buy it fit for purpose - don't expect to modify to be fit for purpose.

Regards,

White Pointer

Thanks White Pointer for filling in some details on this. Just to clear something up - I was not inferring that Toyota were banning anything, but rather the manager of a large business fleet.

Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Thanks White Pointer for filling in some details on this. Just to clear something up - I was not inferring that Toyota were banning anything, but rather the manager of a large business fleet.

Cheers
    Steve
    G'day,

You make an important point.

Toyota has made their dealers sign an agreement that they accept product liability for anything the dealer does that is not Toyota genuine. As I said, fair enough.

Your fleet manager is aware of this and knows that if he says he wants something done, even if Toyota and their dealer have warned him, he may be liable (i.e. accept vicarious - i.e. personal) responsibilty for the modification. Now, in a fleet, if someone says they need a winch because of conditions they may encounter, and they operate alone and can't depend on others for survival, what does the fleet manager do, provide you with a safe work environment or quote the "rules of engagement" by Toyota (and others) and their dealers.

The fleet manager needs to make a risk assessment. Breaking the law is not an option and losing life is not an option - and that probably leaves just a much bigger vehicle than you really need for the task to ensure WH&S.

Be nice to your fleet manager. It's hard and getting harder and more expensive for him. I have been in his place.

Regards,

White Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by White Pointer View Post
    G'day,

Toyota is not alone in this. Any of the current crop of medium duty utes or wagons (i.e. Prado, Pajero, etc) is easily overloaded. If you have a prang or a vehicle mechanical failure and the vehicle is weighed and found to be overloaded you are probably on your own for insurance, warranty and product liability.

Moral: buy it fit for purpose - don't expect to modify to be fit for purpose.

Regards,

White Pointer

It's not the first time that I have heard the Pajero being called a medium duty ute.

What category would you put the Colorado in?

Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    It's not the first time that I have heard the Pajero being called a medium duty ute.

What category would you put the Colorado in?
    G'day,

It's a medium duty ute - in the same category as HiLux and Navara. And each has strengths and weaknesses.

I have a late model Rodeo LT 4x4 diesel auto - same as current Isuzu D-Max and Colorado.

I have had a load in it plus a loaded trailer on the back - both below maximum capacity, but pretty heavy. The engine and transmission didn't know the load was there. The steering and chassis and brakes did. It was a steady carefull drive.

I bought the Rodeo as a boat tractor to pull 2-tonne with the tub empty. It does it easily and cruises comfortably at 100 - 110km/h without engine strain. I pull it back to 3rd at about 90km/h just before the transmission lock-up releases and loads up the torque converter. It needs 4wd engaged on ramps for boat retrieval because without it, it spins the back wheels. I also engage low range to the top of the ramp just to take load off the torque converter and transmission and I take it very quietly.

I have never had the Rodeo off-road, and probably never will. It's gearing for serious off-road work is useless. I have a Land Rover Discovery for that.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

White Pointer