Thread: Spearing Magnetic Island

Spearing Magnetic Island

Hey all,
    I was fishing around Maggie today and saw a couple of blokes spearing off a jet ski near Picnic Bay. Just wondering if they were Ausfishers and if they did any good.

p.s. fishing was ordinary

Re: Spearing Magnetic Island

Wasn't me, but I do know a couple of blokes who regularly spear around maggie. They reckon picnic is good for the occasional trout (which I can vouch for as I have caught a couple there) but also tend to head up around Arthur Bay and get some big bluey's, stirpeys and trout. Horseshoe bay is another that they frequent, but it gets a bit difficult there because of all the drum line that are set along the egde.

Don't want to hijack the thread guys, but while I have u here, the family is heading up to Townsville in October and I will be looking for a Guide for a day or 2 chasing Barra. Anyone you could recommend?

Thanks In advance.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by upstart View Post
    fishing was ordinary
    But what a fantastic day to be out Water looked great today as off to work I went ...

I went for a local dive sunday with my new wettie and misjudged the amount of extra weight i needed. Struggled to get down and could not dive comfortably. Managed to shoot a small spanish and scared of a couple of big blueys trying to get down with too much surface slapping ruining any efforts. Not happy. Then i got a F#$*$#g sinus headache so i retired to the boat well and truly beaten. More weights next time and hopefully no head cold.

Quote Originally Posted by warti View Post
    I went for a local dive sunday with my new wettie and misjudged the amount of extra weight i needed. Struggled to get down and could not dive comfortably. Managed to shoot a small spanish and scared of a couple of big blueys trying to get down with too much surface slapping ruining any efforts. Not happy. Then i got a F#$*$#g sinus headache so i retired to the boat well and truly beaten. More weights next time and hopefully no head cold.

Where'd you go mate? How thick is the wettie? Keep you warm?

Sorry mate. Out of Gladstone on the close islands. Not the reef proper.Wettie is a 3mm omer mimetic and is super warm. Dont know why i persisted with a steamer in winter for the last few years. Best investment i have made. Paid 450 for it with a 10% discount for being in the local dive club.