Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: To All Concerned

Re: To All Concerned

So when will we see the launch of www.brianwebbfishing.com.au

*inserts tongue into cheek*

As an advertiser it would have been nice if the apology/explaination was first seen in BnB. The extra attention could have only been good fur us

*tongue removed from cheek*

Good luck with whatever you decide to do in the future. Clearly you will be missed from the pages of BnB.

Terry

Thanks Brian for taking the time to post up an explanation here.

You didn't have to, but I am glad you did.

This post puts to bed the accusations and assumptions by certain members here.

I understand what ffejsmada ( Jeff ) is saying, but IMO< if Brian was fulltime journo, certainly this mistake is not acceptable.

Brian , being a recreational angler who writes stories for a Local fishing magazine is NOT a professional in that sense and therefore should be afforded some degree of leniency in regard to any ' misdemeanor ' that might pop up.

Obviously a lesson has been learnt and unfortunately friendships have been lost. At this stage it also appears a well respected contributor to a local fishing magazine will not continue in that role.

There has been a great amount of support for Brian here. To really show your support, you need to direct it to those concerned.

Ben Collins

Editor........... Bush'n'Beach

bnbmedia@bigpond.net.au

ph. 07 3286 1833

Regards

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post
    You don't get someone to type your article up, full stop.

Jeff.
    In publishing a writer contributes his/her article to the editor complete with pictures. If the magazine has the budget all articles submitted are sent to the sub-editor, who will often create a fancy headline, correct grammar and spelling mistakes, re-work certain sections of the article and sometimes re-write the entire article. If no sub-editor is employed it's the editor that subs up the articles. Proof readers are almost non-existent in budget mags these days and it's not standard to proof-read your own articles as it's difficult to pick up your own mistakes, so it's up to the sub-editor or the editor. But articles are never resubmitted to the original writer for approval.
    Ultimately the editor is responsible for what goes to press. If there's a mistake from the writer that goes to press the editor will let you know and if it's a biggy you get fired. But resign? Jesus, journalists are the most unethical, mendacious breed alive -- they don't resign on ethical or moral grounds. Christ you'll have the bloody Australian Journalists Association all over you!
    In my experience the pictures that the writer sends are often not up to scratch or of a low resolution and the editor has to shop around for stock images -- Getty Images gets a real work-out from most magazines -- as does Fairfaxphotos.
    The most annoying substitution of pics, which regularly occurs, comes from the designers (these are the Quark Express/In Design people) who think the articles belong to them and regularly change the pics that the writer has submitted. If the editor doesn't pick it up they can make a writer (and the mag) look pretty silly.
    A lot of what you see in major magazines are stock images.
    However it's not too clever to pull a pic off the Internet, especially when it's supposed to be specific to a particular event. But I've seen worse -- and without the apology or the resignation.

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post
    You don't get someone to type your article up, full stop.

Jeff.
    May come as a surprise, but I think you will find that there are several regular contributers of magazines that are technologically challenged when it comes to PC's and using them.
    So they get a mate, wife, son , daughter... whatever to type it up, attach to an email and send it off.

Seems in this case the person helping Webby has went a little too far....
    If he was a good mate & still wishes to be so, then I reckon he should have put his hand up when this first come to light...
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Webby,

Pulling the pin is a fine demonstration of your integrity, and I don't doubt you or your decision for a second. The Fishing Public will be diminished due to your departure.

But even if you think you will damage the magazine, yourself, or something else by staying, I believe you will do more damage by leaving.

Someone suggested instead of leaving, you write a spot about integrity, and you explain enough to shut the wolves up. Then you stay, and keep doing the job you do so well.

Learn from the mistake, and stay in the game, otherwise only the wolves win, and I know for a fact that they are all pricks, and don't deserve the victory.

Cheers and all the best for the future,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

the simple thing , Brian, is do what suits you best and no one else...your true mates will still be there regardless.

I can only add my sentiment to that of others already before in saying please dont quit BnB Brian, any reasonable person can see that this was an error not of your direct doing and that an admission was made and apology given. This is enough for me and Im sure for the majority of people who know you and for many that do not and only read and learn from your insights in the pages of BnB.
    I hope that Ben Collins refuses your resignation.

Cheers
    Scott
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

Reading between the lines it would appear there may be a little duress involved in Webby's departure?

Ben, I don't know you but I'm sure you'll see these posts, and I'd ask you to ask yourself - 'what would the old man have done?' - a question you would have doubtless asked yourself a thousand times.

'Cause I knew him, and it's starting to look unfortunate for a bloke who only had the best of intentions.

That's my bit anyway.

Hope it blows away into nothingness and life goes on regardless for the two primaries involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Argle View Post
    I hope that Ben Collins refuses your resignation.

Cheers
    Scott
    What more can I say than the others, you've helped make me a better fisher. Cheers

Who needs the dramas Webby?
    just go fishing

Yellowbeard,
    I'm afraid the old AJA hasn't existed for quite some time now - we all play with the jugglers and professional footballers in the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance now MEAA

Brian - do what makes you feel the most comfortable. There are plenty of other fish and plenty of other magazines to write for if you so decide.

I've written under a few pseudonyms in the past - you won't be the last if you take up the pen under another scribblers hat.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    With all the predators/blood hounds etc coming out of the closet on this, I though it was time to explain what really happened.
    I was going to wait for the apology in BnB to come out, but this will be more explicative ?? this what will come out in BnB.
    1. Due to computer problems over the past few months (finally had mother board and computer rebuilt) and no internet connections as i am on satellite where i live, I gave a written report and a back up disk of my photos to a close friend off this site.
    2. He offered to type the report up, plus send the nominated photos off the disc.
    3. My first mistake was not checking or proof reading what he had sent.
    4. It wasn't until the mag was received in the mail, did I fall over when i saw what he had done.
    5. I initially queried him on the photo, he quoted (it looked more impressive then the one i was original sending in).
    6. I asked where the photo had come from, he quoted (off some website), i said if anyone identifies it i am in the shit big time. (what can you do when the mag was already on the streets).
    7. Ben rang me some weeks later saying he had had a complaint about the photo, saying it came off a website which he gave me and the names of the people concerned.
    8. What was said between Ben and Myself is of no concern to anyone.
    9. I stated i would write a apology in BnB, directed toward the person who took the original photo, also stating that it was my fault the photo went to print.
    10. Have made the apology short, instead of all this which is written here.
    11. Doesnt matter even what i've written here, i was still my fault for not checking.
    12. BnB had nothing to do with it, and had not idea the photo had been doctored.
    13. i will not come forth with the person iniating all this drama, as its between me and him and not for everyone to become blood suckers again.
    14. Yes the blood hounds will have fun with this post, but i have broad shoulders.
    15. At no time in my 8 years with BnB or presentations at boat show, or the years served on Fisheries Management Committies have i tried to deceive anyone as to my knowledge.
    16. I am not a computer wiz and have limited knowledge on the photoshop programs, yes some of my pictures have been touched up by photo shop, but they were done by my daughter.
    17. I have also resigned from writing any further articicle for BnB, as even though i was not to blame, my name has still be tainted.
    18. Would also like to thanks those on here and elsewhere for sticking by me and awaiting the truth.
    I feel there is no more to say on the matter, a close friend is now on the outer, and my name is now mud.
    Below is the picture which should have appeared.
    regards
    Webby, thank you for taking the time, and having the gumption, to belatedly air your side of the story.
    Is your "mate" who altered the photo going to put his hand up, I doubt it based on what has happened so far.
    Perhaps you mite have been better off following your instincts as per dot point 6, as it appeared to take a couple of weeks for the altered photo to be complained about, as per your dot point 7. Hind sight is a wonderfull thing though, and only you and your "mate" could answer that.
    The thing that intrigues me though is, was it possible for you to contact the angler who actually caught that fish in those intervening "couple of weeks" to tell him that you had no knowledge of the altered picture going to print?
    Could you have jumped on the net, such a wide spread tool for communication for fishos, especially sites like this, and others that are specific to SE Qld, and created some distance between the altered photo, and your lack of knowledge of its publication?
    Could you have contacted one of the many people who have voiced their loyalty, and asked them to air your grievence re the altered picture?
    For any one un-sure, I originally voiced the opinion in a differant thread that I believe that putting some ones face on to some one elses fish photo, with out advising the reader of the modification, stinks, and I stand by that statement.
    Webby, Im sure you are a nice bloke, more than competant angler, willing to share hard earned knowledge, a little computer illiterate, but it appears one former friend has no idea of what constitutes integrity. So many people trust what they read, and pictures are a big part of what they read. That is un-fortunate.
    I dont expect you to reply, you have said your bit, as have I said mine, but I'm sure there is others who would like to reply to what I have written.
    But before you do, ask your self this, regardless of what a nice bloke Webby is, and how he didnt know what was happening,is it acceptable to alter a picture this way, cause thats what Ive got issues with.

for some reason i cannot get that link to work....?
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mistake has been made out, you all got the facts/explanation from the horses mouth, Webby fell on his sword and clearly no doubt that will not good enough for some here like BR65.

frankly i dont care about all this, ill happily share a beer with Webby and dont need to critique his explanation... bloody storm in a tea cup,

trust BR65 your house is in total 100% order, and no one farts without informing you first. Hope your satisfied and happy but clearly Webby resigning after all these years aint enough is it?? Wish I lived in a glass house. BR65 I can watch news reporters every morning and get your mentality every morning.
    Tangles KFC

But before you do, ask your self this, regardless of what a nice bloke Webby is, and how he didnt know what was happening,is it acceptable to alter a picture this way, cause thats what Ive got issues with.

I think thats the point BR65, no one with an ounce of integrity has to ask them selves if it acceptable or not.... of course it isn't. Webby didn't alter it, im sure in all those years if he was that sort of bloke this would have surfaced well before now. So you have issues with photo's being altered? Well as it seems so does Brian, hence why he has just made such an embarrassing admition, especially for such a proud man.

Well Brian I guess you have made up your mind and no amount of support will change it. It's times like this that one thinks just having a tiny bit less integrity would go a long way for the greater good.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.