Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: breaking at the hook

Re: breaking at the hook

I sacked jinkai years ago and now use momoi on all our leaders and traces from light stuff to 500lb on big lures. I use the uni knot for nearly everything and on deep rigs the bran swivels(ones with the sleeve) and crimp em

150 lb pound trace is the minimum i use up here and at times it not enough. stick to the basic loop , one way is to snell a hook above . if in middle of day and trout are touchier i may slip back to 120lb . don't always go fo the dear brands of leader . cheaper one like sure strike is more economical . leave the last hook about half a metre from the sinker . sharks are the only ones that readly take the sinker for dinner . ive used two hundred pound leader many times when somebody gets a jobby. jobby are usually in a school but move on quickly. 150 is a good all rounder rand if snelled will usually enough to get a jobby with out going to wire most of the time

Hi ozbee,

Do you ever have troubles with the fish shying away from the 150lb?

When I am chasing table sized trout in less then 20 meters I rarely use over 60 pound leader. On saying that I have been bitten off a few times.

I usually only use max of 80 pound leaders for all other reef fishing . I have been bitten off a few times but I have put it down to Sharks or Macs?

Next time I fish the deeper reefs I will step up to 150 pound and hopefully I may get a jobbie?

Cheers,

Nick

Biggest mistake most make is just looping there paternoster loop through the hook eye. I have always tied my loop on to the hook like you would with a swivel. It's bloody strong and has double the line strength where the fishes mouth is going to be rubbing and causing abrasions. We all use this method and never have we broke the line and we only use 80lb rigs.

I have used 150lb Jinkai before and broke it with ease... It doesn't tie well and doesn't like to be kinked in anyway. Most mono's over 100lb do not tie well and weaken greatly doing so. Crimping would be a better option for those heavier leaders.

Can I ask why your using 20kg of Drag on Reds?

Cheers,
    Greg

Hey Greg

Mate i notice the ganged hooks, do you all ways use these? I've been using these big strong circle hooks and when the red bites just feeding it 2 meters of line and bingo i'm hooked! Have you tried big circles? I guess i would worry about straightening those Mustards on the deck winch!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Hey Greg

Mate i notice the ganged hooks, do you all ways use these? I've been using these big strong circle hooks and when the red bites just feeding it 2 meters of line and bingo i'm hooked! Have you tried big circles? I guess i would worry about straightening those Mustards on the deck winch!

Ian
    Hey Ian yeah I pretty much always use gangs but I have used circles before. I only use circles on deck winches and I have not used them for about 5 years now. Prefer rod and reel.

Greg

Now that is a decent bait.... Stuff the Pillies

Quote Originally Posted by Reefmaster View Post
    Biggest mistake most make is just looping there paternoster loop through the hook eye. I have always tied my loop on to the hook like you would with a swivel. It's bloody strong and has double the line strength where the fishes mouth is going to be rubbing and causing abrasions. We all use this method and never have we broke the line and we only use 80lb rigs.

I have used 150lb Jinkai before and broke it with ease... It doesn't tie well and doesn't like to be kinked in anyway. Most mono's over 100lb do not tie well and weaken greatly doing so. Crimping would be a better option for those heavier leaders.

Can I ask why your using 20kg of Drag on Reds?

Cheers,
    Greg
    G'day Greg, thanks for that pic, i will try that setup this Sunday and get back to you, 20kg drag as i got bricked a few times, also we have come across some very large reds (15kg) but dropping a few about 5m above the bottom, is this because of no streach on the Braid? line not breaking but pulling hooks, i try and use the thickest gauge hook, any ideas????

cheers

Daz