Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mustard Hooks

Re: Mustard Hooks

It seems that Mustard are losing their way,

I have been using the gama circles as well for quite a few years and they are very good both inshore and offshore. 2/0,3/0,6/0,7/0.

Phil if you get a chance try a couple of the youvenella's chem sharpened you will be really suprised how well they keep their point and strong.

NigelR, it was the big reds that I got a set of freebies, now you mention the name, mate they were terrible, I chucked them in the box with the youvenellas, after I realised what was going on with them, had to dig through whole box to ditch them in the bin.

Regards
    Honda

Yer Honda, I reckon the small red ones are OK, but the big ones, like the gang hooks, are practically blunt out of the pack.
    I do like those Mustad Demon finewire circles in the 7/0 and 8/0 sizes though!
    Gama all the way for other styles, the Gama 'gangstars' are very sharp if a little soft, ie you have to keep an eye on the 'eyes' opening after a decent fish. Worth the effort though, rare to miss a fish they are that sharp.
    Have used the VMC gangs, still do in the larger sizes, though only because unfortunately the 'gangstars' only go as large as 5/0.
    Cheers.

Yep, Mustard hooks do not seem to be as good as they once were. I believe that the quality of steel used in Mustard's hooks is no where near as good as it used to be. Much more brittle, unable to hold a sharp edge and seem to rust up fairly quickly. They most probably use a cheaper imported Asian steel of much lesser quality than they used to.
    I used to use Eagle Claw as they were a superior hook, stayed sharper and much better value, but it is getting harder to find a supplier of them.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    The Japanese make superb fishing gear.........and the Gamas are good value too.
    Mustad I've found some patterns are way, way better than others, the smaller (2/0) penetrators, demon circles and big reds are good bream hooks, but my favourite Mustads are the larger (7/0 and 8/0) Demon finewire circles, equal in ability to any more expensive hook of a similar pattern, IMHO.
    Well worth giving them a try if you use larger circles.
    Cheers.
    For light tackle obviously, say <50lb