Thread: Squid Recipes

Squid Recipes

Hi guys just seeing if anyone has some good recipes for cooking squid/calamari. Any recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Cody

Re: Squid Recipes

Hi Cody
    I usually do it in sweet chili. Cut into pieces and score. Add some sweet chili sauce, garlic, pepper and leave marinate in the fridge for a few hours. Get a wok really hot with a little olive oil and toss in. It takes a very short amount of time to cook. Plate and serve with a nice salad.
    I have stuffed the tubes- Score the outside as normal. Add ginger, tomato, capsicum, onion, all finely diced to fresh breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Maybe a small squeeze of lemon/lime or mix in some butter to combine the whole thing. Stuff mix into tubes and place in a hot oven until cooked. Check them after 15 mins.
    Another idea is to stuff them with small prawns. I have never done this but am told they are delicious.
    Also just cut them in half, score and put on the barbie-- salt,pepper and lemon.
    Found the secret to squid is the cooking time.

Ronnie

Thanks Ronnie, heading out tomorrow to see if I can get some. Will definately give those two recipes a go.

Cheers Cody

two secrets to cooking squid. Very hot and fast, or very slow. Stuff it up and you are eating shoe leather. Also you can marinate overnight in milk, or for an hour or two (max) in either kiwi fruit or paw paw - just make sure you rinse it off before cooking...IMHO both are too pungent to be incorporated in the cooking of squid.

Recipe 1.

Marinate your squid in a mix of finely chopped chilli, finely chopped ginger, crushed and chopped lemon grass, squeeze of lime juice (about two or three tablespoons), handfull of chopped coriander leaves (or tablespoon of chopped corriander root), cup of Mirrin. About an hour at room temp....two hours in the fridge.

heat up some oil in a wok.....i prefer peanut oil..with a few drops of sesame oil....and i mean HOT. when you see the smoke starting to form drain the squid and drop it in the wok....cooking time should be about 1 - 2 minutes....dont overcrowd wok, do it in small batches if you are cooking a fair bit.

Serve with a crisp asian salad....drizzled with a soy/chilli/garlic/ginger dressing with fresh coriander leaves as a garnish.

Cheers
    Greg
    Last edited by sleepygreg; 08-06-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: punctuation

Salt and pepper squid is yummy..

Theres Nothing like a good days fishing.

Salt and pepper Squid

Ingredients:

1/2 cup rice flour
    1 tablespoon sea salt
    1 teasppon Szechwan pepper
    1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

Method:

Clean whole squid and seperate legs and bodies (make sure you remove the Score bodies in diamond pattern
    Wash legs and pat dry
    Dust legs and bodies in rice flour mix.
    Flash fry in hot cottonseed oil for no longer then 30 seconds
    Serve with a slice of buttered cob loaf (warm) and a side of aoli
    Well thats similar to what I have on my menu anyway. Mmmmmm

Nick

I am keen to give the salt and pepper squid a go!