Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mangrove Jack Or Red Bass?

Re: Mangrove Jack Or Red Bass?

You are allowed to catch them and take photos as catching them is a blast, he never said he kept them

If some of you guy's like killing no-take species as he clearly did by the original pictures with the fish dead in a group shot with their throats cut so be it i'd suppose some you guy's wouldn't care if it was a dugong either and as for targeting no-take fish for sport whether released or not both are illegal or though i know beefa got them as bycatch both red bass were clearly killed if you choose to defend him you must be mates with that ice knight fellow also.

Samson,
    I admire your passion mate, but as per the original post I was asking for some one to identify these fish as I believed at the time of capture that they were Mangrove Jack, I even checked with a local guy at the boat ramp when I got back who agreed, I wonder how many people are making this mistake and eating them as well, when I got home I showed a mate who debated the species so I posted the pics and also checked my Grants, turns out I was wrong. I think we can all move on now. thankyou all for your input guys.
    Regards Beefa

Beefa i don't have that much of a problem with what you did it was a common mistake thus why the orriginal warning, i have more of a problem with the guys defending what they obviously know nothing about or couldn't take the time to read the thread before making a comment.

samson- go back to the first page and have a look at the new photo that has been put up...no evidence of dead fish. I am guessing by your comments that there were once photos of the fish in question dead as a door nail ( i didnt see these photos and until you mentioned other photos i was wondering what all the fuss was about). This is no longer the case and i dare say why so many people are defending the posting of photos. So in reality i spose everyone's comments are correct

Who cares.... the fish wouldn't have known it was dead, mother nature it's self doesn't care, any damage is grossly unmeasurable......seriously strange stuff on the ground and in the real world.

cheers fnq

Who cares, they're only a no take species to protect the public from the ciguatera risk, not to protect the fish population, so big deal, turn them into crabs. Also, have a close look next time there are 'mangrove jack' fillets in the local fish shop, theyre usually red bass fillets, judging from colour.

i caught 6 last year while fishing at night and kept them thinking they were jacks, as it turned out we noticed the next day that 3 were noticeably different and that's when we realised we had 3 bass as well as 3 jacks. They were all caught in the same spot at the same time.

Kid

Quote Originally Posted by LBGaddict View Post
    Who cares, they're only a no take species to protect the public from the ciguatera risk, not to protect the fish population, so big deal, turn them into crabs. Also, have a close look next time there are 'mangrove jack' fillets in the local fish shop, theyre usually red bass fillets, judging from colour.
    This is one of the stupidest things that I have ever read on AusFish.

Nick

Judging from colour hey???? hahahaha...............what a fool!!!!

They leave the skins on. Go to Raptis at comslie now and have a look. You can also tell my the size and number of scales. I assume you thought I was talking about skinned fillets. Take it from someone involved with fisheries, and the sceintific sector instead of weekend warriors.

They leave the skins on. Go to Raptis at comslie now and have a look. You can also tell my the size and number of scales. I assume you thought I was talking about skinned fillets. Take it from someone involved with fisheries, and the sceintific sector instead of weekend warriors.
    What a load of Rubbish!!

Where are the fillets your refering too from, chances are there not from queensland
    If you are involved with fisheries, then its simple to back track the fish using the LF05 and CD02 log books and prosecute the buyer and supplier ...

At comslie raptis fishmarket on thursday, we all know how dodgy some suppliers are with regard to identifying catches in log books, take the SBT fishery for example, thats just how the low lifes exceed their bycatch quotas. I know a guy who has been selling bludger trevally as kingfish too for example.

I don't know where you get some of your veiws LBG but i wouldn't be noting yourself as experienced by saying your involved with fisheries most guy's in that sector know far less than 90% of suppliers in regards to identifying fish cut and uncut and to say pro's are cheating quota regulay is a load of crock, shit if i miss count by one i'm stuffed and to say guy's taking SBT cheat quota is bullshit all pro's except those with commonwealth licences aren't even allowed one fish and those that can get policed to the point where they have to have fisheries observers on every trip in some areas, give yourself an uppercut bud and pull ya head in.