Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mangrove Jack Or Red Bass?

Re: Mangrove Jack Or Red Bass?

It's a hit in the pocket mate but not because of they're scarcety its to protect us from ourselves like the chinaman fish and paddle tail so we don't get cigatared.
    Bit harsh but i guess just revinue raising why things like toad fish aren't on the list i don't know i'd of thought they'd make the top, but i know guy's that have eaten plenty of bass before the law changes and haven't had any probs.

thats what i had heard that fellas had eaten them and had no problems. i'm pretty sure they eat chinamen fish in w.a. too

unfortunately they are red bass and not mangrove jack, they were returned to the ocean. I can't see why I should take the photo's down as it may help someone else in the future to identify the fish correctly. Catch and release is a growing favourite of mine.
    regards Beefa.
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 08-06-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Beefa- View Post
    I can't see why I should take the photo's down as it may help someone else in the future to identify the fish correctly.
    regards Beefa.
    Beefa I think the advise regarding removing the photo's was given in good faith as you have actually incriminated yourself by not only killing No-take species but actually posting photo's of yourself with these fish on the internet...

Mistaken identity generally wont excuse you from a fine if caught...if in doubt release the fish...

And as mentioned I think they are legal to take and eat in WA...can someone clarify why this is so..?..None of the ciguatera organisms there ..?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    And as mentioned I think they are legal to take and eat in WA...can someone clarify why this is so..?..None of the ciguatera organisms there ..?

Scott
    Hey Scott,

They also eat them in NT where (for some reason unknown to me) they do not seem to be effected by the Toxins.

I think (dont quote me) that it is something to do with eating baitfish that feeds mainly on coral spawn on the Great Barrier reef. The other reefs in NT and WA dont seem to have the same effect?

Nick

PROTECTED SPECIES
    Matt_Hill

This is from Fisheries WA and does not mention Red Bass

These species are totally protected and
    may not be taken.
    (FRMR Schedule 2)

SPECIES SCIENTIFIC NAME
    Cobbler
    Cnidoglanis macrocephalus
    (
    protected in the Swan-
    Canning rivers until 2017)

Coral
    Order Scleractinia

Great white shark
    Carcharodon carcharias

Grey nurse shark
    Carcharias taurus

Groper, western blue
    Achoerodus gouldii (protected
    in the Rottnest Island Reserve)

Humphead Maori wrasse
    Cheilinus undulatus

Leafy seadragon
    Phycodurus eques

Potato cod
    Epinephelus tukula

Queensland groper
    Epinephelus lanceolatus

Sawfish
    – all species Family Pristidae

Speartooth shark
    Glyphis spp.

Whale shark
    Rhiniodon typus

and they do eat Chinaman in WA even though we did not when we lived in Exmouth - plenty of other fish to eat - good fun catching them though

A search regarding Red Bass seems to only show them being caught at the Rowley Shoals out from Broome

I dont know if anyones noticed but in one of the latest local fishing mags they picture red bass as jacks when you obviously see that tell tale notch near the fishes eye.You have to ask yourself what happened to that fish???

BEEFA- i wouldnt have worried about the comments saying take the photo's down because you didnt actually say anywhere in your 1st or 2nd post that you'd "kept" the fish. you only said you had caught a couple while fishing.

cheers JAYVEE
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 08-06-2009 at 05:41 PM.
    No love its not new...i've had that reel for ages

red bass for sure

100% Red Bass as others have stated, the yellow eye is the dead give away.

Eventhoguh they are a NO TAKE fish you did not TAKE the fish so keep the pics up there for everyone to look at.

Nice work

Cheers

Lee

smart move taking those pics down mate it could have come back to bite you.

Like alot of other ppl have said, I can't see how it could possibly come back to bite him, its not like the picture is of him filleting it or taking a bite out of it

Pretzil not that it matters but the pictures in question have already been removed but hey next time i'll let the authorities do the job instead.

Beefa is a very naughty boy and deserves to be spanked

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Pretzil not that it matters but the pictures in question have already been removed but hey next time i'll let the authorities do the job instead.
    no take the picture or no take the fish or what ever ,Im sure fisheries has better things to do than prosecute people who take pics of no take species(as long as released unharmed) but in some cases Ive released reef fish only to watch them float away belly up, couldnt deflate as it could be seen as injuring the fish, so what do we do?
    Cheers alex