Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Winter Barra Tactics

Winter Barra Tactics

Well , I'm just about to have my first real shot at winter impoundment barra ..... Not too sure what to expect - particularly since fishing has been tough with little visible bait activity , water temperatures that have been falling & constant SE winds which have been the norm.

So with all of these factors going against us - what do you do to improve your chances of catching barra ?
    Where do we look for warmer water ...... will it be sheltered small bays with deeper water or just where the wind / current has been pushing ( shallow or deep)
    Do we concentrate our efforts in one area ...... or run & gun
    What structure is targeted .... Weed edge or timber / lantana
    Creek beds
    Do we put the placcies away .... & just fish shallow running HBs (Stiffies , B52s , Bombers)
    Do you still look for a sunrise bite or will the fish be less active
    Sunset bites over sun warmed flats.
    Do you target fish that are sounded
    Troll
    Are there areas that are known winter producers
    Is winter fishing just HIT & MISS
    Do you look for what you are seeking before you start to fish..... even if it takes most of the day
    Do you look for bird activity & bait
    If you find inactive fish , do you stay in the area & cast for the bite

The fish will be where they are ! ...... but can we get them to bite?

I have my ideas - but I'm interested to hear yours .... Plus its an opportunity to put ourselves in the right mindset

Cheers all

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Wink Re: Winter Barra Tactics

Sleep in till the sun is up.

Yes Chris Troll till you find 'em

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Re: Winter Barra Tactics

Hi Chris
    Last week at mondy i was always 1 of the first on the water at daylight and even though we had no strikes in the morning there was a lot of bait being taken off the surface in both the shallow bays along the weed edges and out in water 7 metres deep but they would not touch a lure or placcie tried shallow deepdivers and frogs on the surface water was 19c -23cin the arvo but hung around the 22c from lunch time the only fish we did see on the surface and there was quite a few was in the cattle yards we were going through and bumped a tree then about 6 barra took off across the surface they seem to be hanging in a foot of water amongst the tree's pete hooked up one on a small drop bear but lost it to the sticks the only other fish we caught was trolling a shallow weed ben in a metre of water with bombers hope this helps a bit

shane

also watch the cut through in the main basin it looks like it is getting shallow and sticks just under the water in parts of nth b near the so called secret spot

shane

AAAAwwwww Noice......Now Im worried Chris I mean Daryl.......I was going to follow you
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

CHRIS, trev answered alot of those questions on his chat nites,,,..were you not listening...????
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    CHRIS, trev answered alot of those questions on his chat nites,,,..were you not listening...????
    WTFGO Chris....you really have to pay attention at these evening Chat nights......We will have to do some REMEDIAL work on Thursday night around the Fire and a Beverage
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Hi guys,

Heading up to Mondy from Melbourne in early July... Any ideas? Spots?

Bloody long drive to catch nothing... be good to know what its like in winter (only ever been in summer)...
    Cheers, Bandit

Tracker Avalanche V18 DC - 175 EFI Mercury OptiMax
    Quintrex 475 TopEnder - 60 EFI Yamaha 4 Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    Intently
    However - More pieces to the puzzle are required

Seriously - Trev's approach is quite unique & I will certainly utilise what I have seen ....... however I just feel that things will be tough & flexibility / adaptability will be paramount.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    WTFGO Chris....you really have to pay attention at these evening Chat nights......We will have to do some REMEDIAL work on Thursday night around the Fire and a Beverage
    With the gunn anglers struggling ....... a mere mortal like myself needs extra help

A few bevvies around a fire side discussion certainly cant hurt

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by BarraBandit View Post
    Hi guys,

Heading up to Mondy from Melbourne in early July... Any ideas? Spots?

Bloody long drive to catch nothing... be good to know what its like in winter (only ever been in summer)...

watch this space mate, the boys will wind themselves into a frenzy over the next week, there will be more theories tossed around than soft plastics at Pepper Point on a summer week end, should be entertaining.
    Myself, I have a few ideas based on trips last year in June and August, be interesting to see if basic principles remain the same this year.
    As for sleeping in, both winter trips last year saw a dawn bite. At least dawn is a bit latter now...........

Well Chris my old mate I got one " buy a POLY " Stealth!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    good call biatch....bloody noisy tin hornets...
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Just melt into the environment hey
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Intently
    However - More pieces to the puzzle are required

Seriously - Trev's approach is quite unique & I will certainly utilise what I have seen ....... however I just feel that things will be tough & flexibility / adaptability will be paramount.

Chris
    so do you know these other pieces of the puzzle chris..??.was trev only letting half the story out.??..stealth and persistance, and yes adaptability, lookin forward to next weekend, will prob look at a couple of different areas..very keen for some winter action.(barra) just keep casting..
    deano.
    i will never die.