Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Made Poppers

Re: Home Made Poppers

nice work griz......good to see how others are approaching the process. I am interested in your 'offset turning' method. I haven't tackled this method of turning wood yet, but I'd like to know about how it's done. Is it just a case of finding 3 different centre points? Is that at one end of the piece of timber only, or both ends?

How are you attaching the tow/hook eyelets? Seems to me like it'd be a lot easier for big fish to rip them out of the lure, than if you had through-wire running from one end of the lure to the other. Much more strength and integrity with the thru-wire method, but the shape looks good mate!

Keep up the great work

Cheers
    Angus
    searchin' for my lost shaker of salt

Quote Originally Posted by griz066 View Post
    Made a new dumbell pop today first time I have turned an oval head on them and it actually worked out. Here are a few pics of the process I use, not sure if they are correct but the seem to work ok.
    Looking very nice, how long does the process roughly take?

Thanks Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull View Post
    nice work griz......good to see how others are approaching the process. I am interested in your 'offset turning' method. I haven't tackled this method of turning wood yet, but I'd like to know about how it's done. Is it just a case of finding 3 different centre points? Is that at one end of the piece of timber only, or both ends?

How are you attaching the tow/hook eyelets? Seems to me like it'd be a lot easier for big fish to rip them out of the lure, than if you had through-wire running from one end of the lure to the other. Much more strength and integrity with the thru-wire method, but the shape looks good mate!

Keep up the great work

Cheers
    Angus
    Hi Angus, In pic 2 you can see 3 centres I turned the oval on. you round it first then change to off centre then the other off centre then round off the rough corners top & bottom. It will become obvious when to stop each side you only oval each side to a centre line. I only did it 1 end. I use a thru wire method also.
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Quote Originally Posted by tailorboi99 View Post
    Looking very nice, how long does the process roughly take?

Thanks Tom
    Only takes 20 min to turn prob 1 hr all up, and its a tun o fun

Mate they look great! makes me want a lathe even more now! I've started making skipping poppers out of dowle and am getting then hang of it but you can do so much more with a lathe.

Well done.

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by 84mick View Post
    Mate they look great! makes me want a lathe even more now! I've started making skipping poppers out of dowle and am getting then hang of it but you can do so much more with a lathe.

Well done.

Mick.
    Yes u sure can 84mick i borrowed a dodgy old GMC lathe of the FIL and used it for 3 days and upgraded to the Hafco. Got the lathe,set of 6 chisels,sharpening wheel for $700, this is all i needed to get started. Mind you it is like boating it is addictive, I have been back to the woodwork shop and given the CCard a hammering teice since then
    LATHE could mean Lethal Adiction To Hewing or Honing Everything

griz,

Let me know when you start making and selling them. They look real good.

Never can have tomany poppers.
    Cheers, Bandit

Tracker Avalanche V18 DC - 175 EFI Mercury OptiMax
    Quintrex 475 TopEnder - 60 EFI Yamaha 4 Stroke

Gidday matey,
    Well done on the poppers.
    It is addictive and once you've started you look at lots of things very differently.
    For instance that old broken chair sitting on the side if the road in the council cleanup day is now 38 poppers or that broken tree branch that's been there for 7 years is now a hand spool
    What wire are you using up the guts??
    Some stainless mig wire would be good or for the serious poppers some tig wire.

A scroll chuck or 4 jaw chuck would make the offset shaping simple as.
    https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=W370
    I have both and it's amasing on what you find out when you have a play around with them.

How many of you blokes would like to have a play on a lathe or other wood working stuff to see what you can make??
    We might have to try and organise something because there are some excellent woodworkers here like Oldboot and Charlie (don't know if they'd agree or not but they are excellent woodworkers) who might be willing to show some basics.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Nice work, i have been using the wood lathes at school, they are such good fun, too bad i should be designing the stand on my table instead of making poppers

nic
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Gidday matey,
    Well done on the poppers.
    It is addictive and once you've started you look at lots of things very differently.
    For instance that old broken chair sitting on the side if the road in the council cleanup day is now 38 poppers or that broken tree branch that's been there for 7 years is now a hand spool
    What wire are you using up the guts??
    Some stainless mig wire would be good or for the serious poppers some tig wire.

A scroll chuck or 4 jaw chuck would make the offset shaping simple as.
    https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=W370
    I have both and it's amasing on what you find out when you have a play around with them.

How many of you blokes would like to have a play on a lathe or other wood working stuff to see what you can make??
    We might have to try and organise something because there are some excellent woodworkers here like Oldboot and Charlie (don't know if they'd agree or not but they are excellent woodworkers) who might be willing to show some basics.
    Thanks Finga, I got a Vicmarc chuck (same as the one in link) the other day in Toowoomba but havent used it yet. I am using stainless tig wire atm i get it from Stafford welding supplies $1.00 per mtr length. There seems to be an awfull lot of round wooden objects in the shed atm tis fun though. I manage a Cypress Sawmill so I have access to all the timber I need, it turns beautifully but is prone to cracking but that adds a bit of character I think.

Quote Originally Posted by griz066 View Post
    . I manage a Cypress Sawmill
    Woohoo...now where's that cutting list for the veranda???
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Woohoo...now where's that cutting list for the veranda???
    PM sent

Hey Griz check this out, might be an idea . Pretty mad popper if you ask me

Thanks Tom

Ha Ha Tom,

I think im more scared of that lure than the fish...
    Cheers, Bandit

Tracker Avalanche V18 DC - 175 EFI Mercury OptiMax
    Quintrex 475 TopEnder - 60 EFI Yamaha 4 Stroke

Looks like it would buy more people then fish Tom
    I had a little play with half sinkers on the end of a small popper, keeps me going while Im not fishing ;P

Cheers, Mick.