Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance HDS 5

Lowrance HDS 5

Hi all,

I have just bought and half way through install the Lowrance HDS5X and HDS5M to replace the Navman gear I currently have. I had a good play with the demo model and was very very impressed with these units hence the purchase. They have the upgrade to take the Navionics maps/charts. The real test will be on the water and in true conditions and once this happens I will give my honest review. I also purchase the RAM mounts for both units to make them easier to move for better viewing etc. I didn't purchase the external antenna yet to see how good the internal one is though at $450 plus it is a bit steep....

First test will be at the Cardwell FNQ Ausfish meet and greet........

Cheers

Re: Lowrance HDS 5

i've got a HDS-5 combo unit fitted on a ram bracket at the helm of our half cabin whittley, and there's no need for an external GPS antenna in this position.

GPS antenna's (internal) are alot more sensitive and faster than they used to be.

On a cloudy overcast day, i'll still get 7 sat's no problems (and unit does not have clear view to sky).

hope that helps, look forward to your review(s).

Cheers mate. Thats pretty much what I though and instead of spending the extra coin I thought I would see how it goes without it.....I have pretty much finished the install as all I need now is to tidy up. I honestly considered the combo unit but went for two seperate units to have greater screen size instead of split screen. Plus I like to split screen the sounder with one zoomed in on the bottom for better view of the bottom......Can't wait to get out there and use it now.....

Ps: I also went the dual freq transducer at 50/200hz cause the 50hz is better for deeper stuff when jigging etc.......

[quote=Teabag73;1022430]Hi all,

I have just bought and half way through install the Lowrance HDS5X and HDS5M to replace the Navman gear I currently have. I had a good play with the demo model and was very very impressed with these units hence the purchase. They have the upgrade to take the Navionics maps/charts.

Teabag,
    So the the units have the upgrade now for navionics cards ?

[quote=Sandman;1023329]
    Quote Originally Posted by Teabag73 View Post
    Hi all,

I have just bought and half way through install the Lowrance HDS5X and HDS5M to replace the Navman gear I currently have. I had a good play with the demo model and was very very impressed with these units hence the purchase. They have the upgrade to take the Navionics maps/charts.

Teabag,
    So the the units have the upgrade now for navionics cards ?
    Yes, mine came upgraded ready to take the Navionics Card. Tested it all the other night and works a treat.......

One thing people maybe able to assist me with is where do I get zoning info from wrt green zones etc. It was easy to get on the C-Map Navman charts though can't find it on the Navionics except for the lines on the screen?

"On a cloudy overcast day, i'll still get 7 sat's no problems (and unit does not have clear view to sky).'

1. Cloudy overcast days have no affect on GPS signals or signal reception

2. 7 sat's no problems? Is this is ALL the time?

[quote=Teabag73;1023843][quote=Sandman;1023329]

Yes, mine came upgraded ready to take the Navionics Card. Tested it all the other night and works a treat.......

One thing people maybe able to assist me with is where do I get zoning info from wrt green zones etc. It was easy to get on the C-Map Navman charts though can't find it on the Navionics except for the lines on the screen?[/quote]

I use a Navionics card as well and don't have any info on them except for the lines. I think thats all you get with them.

At present that's my only bitch about the Navionics Charts compared to the C-Map is the Green Zone data. Otherwise the Navionics are far more detailed and far better........Small price to pay I guess?

Can anybody give me a place to buy these hds5's beside bcf? (se qld)

Quote Originally Posted by insideout View Post
    Do a search on the net as there are heaps of marine places that sell them. I got mine at Bill's Marine in Cairns at a pretty good price.....

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post

2. 7 sat's no problems? Is this is ALL the time?
    I can only say 7 sats or so when i bother to check it, basically, if i have a lock and my GPS is working, i rarely spend time in the other GPS options screen looking to see how many sat's i'm locked onto, for example though - if i go out to my boat, install the unit, turn it on it will average 7 sats sitting in the driveway on a rainy day, under the canopy of a couple of tree's (and as stated, the unit does not have clear view of the sky in its installed position within the boat). If i take my tom-tom outside, it will have a clear view of the sky and average about the same number of sat's. If i can get 7 sats on avg in a poor place, out on the open water it certainly doesn't get worse (but as said - i dont religiously look at the sats screen when underway). At ATB boat ramp, sitting on the jetty, i was averaging the same amount of sats, and again, on the parra river heading to the harbour (near balmain) i checked it and it was about the same again...

check the unit out today with the navionics chart, pretty impressive but really am not fully sold on the map itself but i love the unit cant wait to upgrade.
    Insideout Bias sell them
    Mick

Got mine at Bias, $1,200
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by insideout View Post
    G'day

Pm Grand_Marlin or call him on 0419 263 264.

Dave

Oh yeh give Grand_Marlin yell , he set one up for a mate of mine with a call Top fella , will be pursueing him soon for mine
    Mick