Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lowrance HDS 5

Re: Lowrance HDS 5

If you fit the HDS 5X & HDS 5M do you need to fit a network expansion port to get the 2 units to work.

I am thinking of using the NEMA output to go to a PC to run some bottom mapping software like the DrDepth program?

http://www.drdepth.se/

G'day Pete,

It depends on what you want to achieve.

If you just want NMEA data, then just network through NMEA.

If you want to share the head units so as a GPS can become a sounder, then yes you do.
    If both units are sitting side by side on the dash then there is no need to do this.

Cheers

Pete

Another point on the difference between the HDS and Furuno 585.

The HDS 7 actually has a wider screen than the 585

Cheers

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Grand_Marlin View Post
    G'day Pete,

It depends on what you want to achieve.

If you just want NMEA data, then just network through NMEA.

If you want to share the head units so as a GPS can become a sounder, then yes you do.
    If both units are sitting side by side on the dash then there is no need to do this.

Cheers

Pete
    I will have to check if the DR Depth program can take the NMEA from 2 devices & put them together

It says the DR Depth works on nmea 0183 with any combination of gps & sounder, so you will be fine.
    The hds units network on nmea2000 and also have nmea0183 capabilities.

Keep in mind if you buy the Navionics Platinum charts for your HDS you already get a 3D bottom imaging with them.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete.

In your reviews, you have not moentioned build quality/customer service. The only reason why I ask is that I know you are well informed in this area, and I have read a couple of threads on other US forums where these issues were raised as concerns......I would like your take on this.

Grand Marlin I am going to put one of the new Honda 60's onthe new boat and want to run 2 x HDS5's one as a sounder and one as a plotter but enabling reduncy if one fails. Do you know what fuel usage information I can get on the HDS5 connected to the new Honda and what accessories I have to get to hook yhe HDS up to the motor.

G'day Pete,

From Lowrance...

Digital Sonar Output Power Max 250W Peak to Peak (31W RMS) actual; 30,000W Peak to Peak analog equivalent W Sonar Depth Max 5000 ft \ 1524 m

Big claim on the depth! Are they really getting anywhere near that?

Jigs

Quote Originally Posted by lampuki View Post
    Hi Pete.

In your reviews, you have not moentioned build quality/customer service. The only reason why I ask is that I know you are well informed in this area, and I have read a couple of threads on other US forums where these issues were raised as concerns......I would like your take on this.
    So far I can't fault the build quality with the HDS range.
    They have made a few changes and one is that they have taken away the internal wiring and changed to a more "solid state" internal to make them even more reliable.

I find the customer service from Navico great.
    I am always in contact with the Navico Tech's for all different resons.
    Lance & Rob are absolute wizards with knowing the ins and outs of the new HDS units.
    Backup service has never been a problem, with units dispatched immediately.
    (I have only ever had to send 2 older units back so far, a fuel flow meter and a couple of the older GPS external aerials)

I think the Lowrance dealer you use has a lot to do with the level of customer service you receive.

Yes, I deal with Navico directly, but I am only relaying to you what I find in everyday business dealings.

Look at it from my point of view ... as a business owner, I don't need the problems associated with poor product reliability and poor backup service from a supplier.
    If Lowrance / Navico were like that I wouldn't bother to deal with them myself, let alone recommend them to my clients.

Cheers

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Bear View Post
    Grand Marlin I am going to put one of the new Honda 60's onthe new boat and want to run 2 x HDS5's one as a sounder and one as a plotter but enabling reduncy if one fails. Do you know what fuel usage information I can get on the HDS5 connected to the new Honda and what accessories I have to get to hook yhe HDS up to the motor.
    G'day Bear,

The 60 is the first Honda to be NMEA 2000 compliant.
    Apparantly the rest will follow soon.

Lowrance don't make a cable for Honda yet, but advice says they will soon.

Honda are making a cable for the NMEA 2000 connection to their motor.

For the HDS connection, all you need is a Lowrance NMEA starter kit for each unit and the motor connection from Honda.

The HDS is capable of giving fuel usage and economy stats (when hooked to the GPS) but it is completely reliant upon what data is sent from the motor.
    Honda will have info on this for you.

Cheers

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jigsnreels View Post
    G'day Pete,

From Lowrance...

Digital Sonar Output Power Max 250W Peak to Peak (31W RMS) actual; 30,000W Peak to Peak analog equivalent W Sonar Depth Max 5000 ft \ 1524 m

Big claim on the depth! Are they really getting anywhere near that?

Jigs
    Yes, I have seen actual screen photos of this.

The bottom was patchy and the sounder was obviously at it's limit but keep in mind that most sounders loose this capability in around 200m.

I am yet to test mine over the shelf, but hopefully soon it will happen.

Cheers

Pete