Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance HDS 5

Re: Lowrance HDS 5

Well, last weekend was the first tast for both units and I was very, very impressed. Once you get your head around the Pages menu it is very easy and funtional to use. Whilst maybe not as easy as the Navman IMO but this maybe because I had used Navman for so long I was comfortable with it's operation. The sounder gave me a near perfect bottom image even at 70 plus Km/hr which is great for those little bumps on the bottem, even when zoomed in. Detail is excellent with a great night function which is/was better than Navman hands down. The view ability of the screen was excellent at any sun level or angle which is handy considering it's location.
    My only disapointment was when changing frequency from say 200khz to 50khz it seemed to take some time to ajust itself with transition poor and slow IMO......

All round I am very, very happy with the unit and it's performance......

Good to hear Teabag.

All the units we have sold have had great feedback.
    For once, all the hype is well deserved.

Cheers

Pete

Hi,
    Tried out my new HDS 5 today, very impressed. Thanks Grand Marlin for a good deal and advice. Very cloudy/overcast today down in Sunny Melbourne, and GPS worked a treat. Very clear and easy to read.
    aw65

Have to agree- Grand_Marlin sold me mine and having only used for 2 trips I was impressed with the sounder no end - especially in 100m of water. They are very easy to use and I get a good reading travelling at 25 knots.

The GPS has cut out a couple of times but in general have had no issues. Although I haven't played with this so much as I have another one on board, when I put in a waypoint and head towards it, it doesn't give me how far away it is. Can this be shown whilst travelling?

Looking forward to what comes out in the next couple of years - this gear would be hard to beat at that competitive price!!

No Fear,

Yes you can, I cant tell you directly as I dont have a hds 5, nor is there a simulator, however, what you should be looking to do is to get the unit into map mode, then select "two position formats" then you will see the map some data being displayed, one of the displays is distance.

I dont have a hds so cant give you the exact, menu options, but should be something similar.

Regards
    HOnda

nav cards go into some models for years

anyone know what this is? RADAR Antenna Type Optional Lowrance radar choices available (optional extra)

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-2160...s-5-83200.aspx

Yes, there were 3 types of radar ... Radome (enclosed dish), Open Array (4ft long bar) and the new Broadband (also in an enclosed dish)

The Radome and Open Array have now been deleted from the range, leaving the Broadband.
    http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/...oadband-Radar/

The new broadband radar has no emissions (unlike other brands) and the definition / target discrimination is brilliant.

Cheers

Pete

Pete (Grand Marlin), I want to purchase a new fish finder. I prodominantly bottom bash in 30 to 120 meters of water. I have been looking at a Furuno 620 or 585. HOw would you compare the sounding qualities of the Furuno when compated to the lowrance?

I also bought a HDS5 but I'm having a little bit of a problem in that the GPS track doesn't follow me. By that I mean it goes off the page and doesn't keep up with me, I have to continually scroll the page.

Can someone please help and tell me wnat I'm doing wrong. Is there something in the setup that I missed?

Help!

I don't have a HDS but own other Lowrance units and I am guessing that they are similar. My guess is that you will have cross hairs on your screen which become your cursor. You have 2 options for viewing your chart, cursor view or actual position. You use the cursor to check things like distance frm your position and navigation. If you hit exit I think it will revert to your actual position and scroll normally.

Well that is my guess from your bare bones description.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand_Marlin View Post
    Yes, there were 3 types of radar ... Radome (enclosed dish), Open Array (4ft long bar) and the new Broadband (also in an enclosed dish)

The Radome and Open Array have now been deleted from the range, leaving the Broadband.
    http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/...oadband-Radar/

The new broadband radar has no emissions (unlike other brands) and the definition / target discrimination is brilliant.

Cheers

Pete
    Oh, i get it now. i thought it was some type of new radar . Yes i think the broadband is the way to go.

Marlin you have prices on the HDS5 with radar?

HDS5 just means the smallest of the range in size?

russ

Quote Originally Posted by scouse View Post
    I also bought a HDS5 but I'm having a little bit of a problem in that the GPS track doesn't follow me. By that I mean it goes off the page and doesn't keep up with me, I have to continually scroll the page.

Can someone please help and tell me wnat I'm doing wrong. Is there something in the setup that I missed?

Help!
    This happened to me - I just pressed exit on the unit and then the maps showed me and progressively moved with me as I went....I hope that helps....this isn't in the instruction book.....I think it's got something to do with the scrolling function....once you scroll with the maps - the map will only move with the scroll......but if you press 'Exit' it should go to the map that you are in / at...

Thanks Bowser and reddybayfisher, much appreciated. I'll give that a try next time out.

Cheers

so whatever the cost of this unit is you ad another $2,000 or more for the Radar part to make it work?