Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Extended Hydrofield's 6.8 Finished Photo's

Extended Hydrofield's 6.8 Finished Photo's

G'day Guys,

It has taken us a while for both myself and the old boy to decide what we were going to do as we now need a new boat, as the little 5.6 Jaguar was getting to small for the areas we wish to fish, and neither party wanting to go away from the Hydrofields, it was time to look at the new 6.6 Jaguar. After a couple of months of tossing a few ideas around and looking at the new 6.6 Jaguar 2 dozen times, we just could not justify the money or the changes that had to be made for the new one, as it still needed so much changeing for what we wanted to achieve, so back to the drawing board we went. We through up the idea of a cut and shut extension slash renno of our current boat and after a few phone calls to my old boss and a few trips up to his workshop to see how big of a job it would be, we agreed and decided to go ahead with the cut and shut and renno .

We need to stip her and sell the engine (as now needed larger one ) before we could begin the chop, so up for sale she went. After the word had got around about our 140 Suzuki being up for sale and at only $8500 including steering she went at the click of a finger, and now the time came to start stripping. With all the negative comments being tossed around by so many people as why this wont work, it was a very stressfull time as the old boy and even sometimes myself thought is this the way to go . After being a boat builder myself for 6 years with Riv and preforming so many cut and shuts, nothing i could say was convincing any of the critics except my old boy (which was the one that mattered), as i always had to expain to people with the dimensions the 5.6 has, the cut and shut will work in all areas.

Now the weekend had come Gary was here to take the engine off and we started to strip her of all her goods. Once this was done i suited up with the grinder and cutter and started to grind her up, ready for the extension. Monday the 18/05/09 had come and it was D Day, she was taking up there at 6am and reversed into the shed, and after a nervous wait the first cut had been started, our dream had become a reality and now we were at the point of no return . So now the waiting game has begun, and both of us are very excited and can't wait to see the end result she will be a cracker.

So you guys know what is being done here is a list of everything that is happening.........
    Hull extension of 1100mm, Cut out in both sponsons (as per new design) grafted in but made smaller, New 700mm long pod off transom with duck boards either side, New Floor, New 270ltr tank, Full length side pockets, new 300mm wide tansome combing, Custom 120ltr live well in centre of boat, battery storage made in transom 1 either side of tank, re-moulded side combings to suit extension, new storage box's and esky to be made in shape of a T and permenately glassed to floor, Dimensions are 600x500 for both storage boxes and 600x1600 for the esky and to be made out of insulated foam and then glassed togeter with hinged lids, strengthening to be put in place where new t-top is going, New stainless t-top with rocket launches, new stainless bait board, Mount made for centre rigger pole in t-top, carbon fibre dash over exsisting dash, whole boat re-flowcoated in a grey with black or white fleck, New carpet, all cracked holes to be repaired through out boat, re-spayed white, new steering, new Lowrance GPS,same 585 with 1 Kw tranny, new 27meg and Vhf, new fuel flow meter, new compass, and last but not least a New 225 Honda 4 stroke to push the girl.

I have been a bit slack as i should have posted it earlier but here are some photos of the stage she is at as we speak and i will keep posting pics up untill our baby is complete, hope use enjoy.

Cheers
    Matty
    Last edited by business class; 13-07-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Renovation of a Hydrofield 5.6

More pics, and also note no timber is used in hull all glass.

Cheers
    Matty

More photos of how it is done. Its quite impressive.

being very much a home handyman when it comes to bigger glass jobs, it still never ceases to amaze me how easy and how good it looks when someone who knows how to do it does a job like this, I guess in some ways it is no different to a wall tiler or any other trade, an expert makes it look so simple.

What a great project. I wonder how she would have gone with the old donk. Often the beam is the deciding factor and extra length does not limit performance so much

You might have just started a run on old 5.6s
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    What a great project. I wonder how she would have gone with the old donk. Often the beam is the deciding factor and extra length does not limit performance so much

You might have just started a run on old 5.6s

The Zuke 140 didn't really push the 5.6 to starty with to be honest, it actually needed a 150hp as when full of fish gear 3 blokes and a bit of a swell it was very gutless.

Noelm,
    Hey mate, being a boat builder myself i was so amazed how far you can actually get in a week when you have everything there. I am still blown away with the progress he has achieved.

looking good so far matty, btw the suzi has gone to a good home i hear. I too use to work at riv many moons ago,sad to see it go down the way it has. Looking at the use of ur chopper gun reminded me of my time there...

So you finally went the path of DIY, good choice in my books, at least you know the boat and history of it. After i have been looking in the market for awhile, there are some less than desirable boats with many hidden faults in the hulls out there, and it would pay to be dilligent atm.

good piccies , keep em coming, and many itchy times ahead !!!

Quote Originally Posted by insideout View Post
    looking good so far matty, btw the suzi has gone to a good home i hear. I too use to work at riv many moons ago,sad to see it go down the way it has. Looking at the use of ur chopper gun reminded me of my time there...

So you finally went the path of DIY, good choice in my books, at least you know the boat and history of it. After i have been looking in the market for awhile, there are some less than desirable boats with many hidden faults in the hulls out there, and it would pay to be dilligent atm.

good piccies , keep em coming, and many itchy times ahead !!!
    Yeah she has finally began and can't wait. But to make it clear My old boss Adam is doing the cut and shut and renno we are only helping him out in areas, but he is doing all / most of the work.

Cheers
    Matty

Thanks for the photos & story. Leigh

Very cool mate, although your a boat builder I still reckon it takes a big set of gurras to chop your own boat in half. Cant wait to see the end result, onya.

great project matty,
    please keep posting photos as it is very interesting.
    steve

great pics, looking forward to more.

My miss's would love to cut my boat in half, sadly she does not have the skills to put it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbag's View Post
    great pics, looking forward to more.

My miss's would love to cut my boat in half, sadly she does not have the skills to put it back together.

LOL.. me thinks this would be the thought pattern of most wives of fisherman here mine included!

Good Post BC,

I for one will be interested to see how this story unfolds.

Tell me you havn't forgot that you'll need to lengthen or replace the trailer?

Should be a very interesting transformation, and knowing how much use you get from her, it'll be the perfect test bed.

Why the Honda? Was Garry's nagging just too much to bear anymore?

Regards

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by boatboy50 View Post
    Good Post BC,

I for one will be interested to see how this story unfolds.

Tell me you havn't forgot that you'll need to lengthen or replace the trailer?

Should be a very interesting transformation, and knowing how much use you get from her, it'll be the perfect test bed.

Why the Honda? Was Garry's nagging just too much to bear anymore?

Regards

Darren
    Or yeah sorry boys, yes and lengthening the trailer is another job on the list. We chose Honda becuase we got her at the right price and with gary living around the corner, makes it very easy serviceing as well. Also the suzuki was also alot dearer.

I will post more photo's tomorrow as the transom is in glassed and stringers are also in. While Adam was making up the pod myself and the old boy got stuck in to the boat, we ripped up the rest of the old floor, ground up the barers this afternoon, then fitted the new floor in ready for sealing bogging and re-glassing. We hope bye the end of the weekend we will have the floor and tank in, Seat boxes and esky in and glassed and pod on. an't wait as she is starting to become a boat again.

Cheers
    Matty