Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mags We Read

Mags We Read

Hey all

Was looking through some mags of choice (scan through the rustwater read the sweetwater) and noticed some simularities between pics with other anglers.... Photoshop or not has anyone noticed this?

Re: Mags We Read

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Hey all

Was looking through some mags of choice (scan through the rustwater read the sweetwater) and noticed some simularities between pics with other anglers.... Photoshop or not has anyone noticed this?
    I have noticed the same thing in horse monthly (lol), ralph ,playboy ect a lot of photo shopping going on mate, fishing mags who reads them

shane

yes nath there was a blatant, photoshop in a certain mag, how a fishing writer can get away with it ,i dont know, but the question has to be asked, how often has this happened.??and gone un-noticed..one would think that these blokes go fishing , know their stuff, and catch fish, then inform us on the methods they use.
    that is why we buy the mag...not to see ya mates fish being claimed by someone else (fishing writer) then published in a mag..the pic in question was posted on a site but it quickly disapeared...
    deano..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Good subject Nath, i've noticed a few 5 year old barra photo's popping up to make an article. What does everyone think of that?

No worries if they are good writers, but do you think you should have fairly current fish caught for articles to let the reader know what's going on now?

It's just that as my brother points out, if you see 20 barra photo's in a magazine and the fishing is really, really tough in the last few months the reader won't know this ( the truth ) because he or she will be told another story by the amount of barra photo's appearing in the mag. (As a total - old or new).

Kind of like a gambler telling you he is going really well but in the background they are bulldozing his house.

What are everyones thoughts on this?

After travelling around a lot and chatting with nice people in parks, boat ramps and on the water i get a feeling that stacks are going away from mags these days with many just fed up. This is a shame in a way as they do motivate us to go fishing, i remember as a kid being so excited by purchasing a new mag that i could learn something from.

Why are people getting angry with mags and not buying them?

I'm interested to hear some feedback here. Remember if you don't say something nothing will change.

Cheers Lyndon.

On a serious note you never know how old a lot of the photo's are i went to Darwin in April Last year to do a bluewater trip and there was a freelance fishing writer on there who was doing that trip then a trip to sth alligator barra fishing and a few weeks later was going to the tiwi islands I had a phone call from a mate about 6 weeks ago saying what a nice black jewfish you caught well done the bluewater storey was only written and appeared in march-april trailerboat fisherman this year about a year after the fishing trip so you can not always believe what you read and see in the mags

shane

every publication changes pics to suit...it is nothing new.

This month I actually bought a fishing mag..lforst time for a long time.
    The reports as follows:
    someone with a story about his mum dying..sad and condolences to the bloke but hardly suitable in a fishing mag.
    One about sustainability of a species ..interesting read.
    another one bleating about the Govt..again.
    another about crabbing..we went crabbing..we caught some..we came home..nothing about gear used or anything.
    one about the ocean..interesting
    one about estuary fishing..trip on a houseboat..pass
    one about lures..that was ok
    another fishing report..went fish..caught fish..came home..
    another fishing report..ditto to above.
    PLUS..miles of ads..I gave up after that.

won't be buying another one.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    Good subject Nath, i've noticed a few 5 year old barra photo's popping up to make an article. What does everyone think of that?

No worries if they are good writers, but do you think you should have fairly current fish caught for articles to let the reader know what's going on now?

It's just that as my brother points out, if you see 20 barra photo's in a magazine and the fishing is really, really tough in the last few months the reader won't know this ( the truth ) because he or she will be told another story by the amount of barra photo's appearing in the mag. (As a total - old or new).

Kind of like a gambler telling you he is going really well but in the background they are bulldozing his house.

After travelling around a lot and chatting with nice people in parks, boat ramps and on the water i get a feeling that stacks are going away from mags these days with many just fed up. This is a shame in a way as they do motivate us to go fishing, i remember as a kid being so excited by purchasing a new mag that i could learn something from.

I'm interested to hear some feedback here. Remember if you don't say something nothing will change.

Cheers Lyndon.
    I remember many yrs ago when a very prominent fishing identity wrote about “How to catch fish” on a lake I was guiding at the time. A little while later a comp was held on this lake and the said journalist was invited. He came up to myself & my fishing partner with the following “I’m ####ed if I can catch a fish here, I can’t suss this lake out” something I’ll never forget. Needless to say I have had little or no respect for this particular identity since and haven’t purchased a magazine since.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post

Cheers Lyndon.
    I think most of us have seen this type of thing all too often - a rehash of a rehash & now with photoshop It certainly puts me off buying fishing magazines.

The big problem that I see is that there is only so much you can write on a topic or technique ......... & how often is there a new technique developed (not often) As for Product reviews - often they are written by a sponsored writer

Additionally - The final nails are being driven into the magazine coffin by the DVD / video .... I know more & more people that do not buy mags but hang out for the Fishing DVD ( me included)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

yea this sucks... wheres all the honesty and genuine reports... and real photos of the people who actually caught the fish i have stopped subscribing to a certain mag cause of all that rubbish!

i Beleive it is absolutely disgracefull, i won't go waste my money on the magazines anymore if its just gonna be all photoshopped bullshit. It really make you wonder how many times this has actually occured??
    Lets hope this type of incident doesn't occur again.

Think i might be able to make it into the magazine industrie? i do

Nic
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

.nice bully nic, gee you sure have toned up since your last report mate, where did ya catch it,,, what bait....did you release it....i think i recognise the area....great stuff..you sure know your fishin..should send it into a mag.... .... ... ... ...
    deano.....
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

yeah man, took a gold fish on my 2lb gear at the barra park. I am just a bit affraid if i send it in it might be photoshopped with someone elses head on it, can't let that happen.... AGAIN.

Nic
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

Keechie..do you ever read the Courier Mail...most pics are doctored..or old pics from the files. It is nothing new nor anything to worry about...Oh I get it..people just buy the mags for the pics..sorry..i thought some may buy for the articles (at least thats what I always told the wife when I bought Playboy)

yes i know alot of pictures are doctored but i find this different, this is just rediculous, if this article had published with the originals fisher head explaining it as if that person caught it i would of found this fine not a problem with it. Its just that someone else is trying to take the credit for a fish they did not catch. I only buy the magazines for the photo's really although i often do read the articles. I just simply don't find it fair that this person didn't ask for permission nor atleast applaude this fisho.

The photo is just a bit of a joke around.

nic
    Breaming is my LIFE!!!

Boys, make this simple for me, OK.
    Last nite I was on Ausfish and there was a post with 2 pics of what appeared to be the same estuary cod, held up by 2 differant fishos.
    One pic was of a bloke I dont know, the other pic was of a Ausfish member and article writer for BnB magazine, holding a cod.
    This post was deleted in the short time I was tying to decipher the pics.
    Who caught the fish, who is full of crap???? Who's reputation is now worth about 20 cents? I dont care either way, but some one is lieing, simple, yeah?

Easy question, lets not delete the post or thread please mods.