Thread: how to catch sea mullet land based

Re: how to catch sea mullet land based

As Justjack and Mattooty said try the 75gm 10/0 Mullet Slugs
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    High speed, large hooked mullet lure
    What do they look like? Or you talking about jagging?

A bloke was telling me yest that he was watching guys cast netting of the new woody point jetty this week, getting real good size mullet

G'day Seahorse,

Good to hear but I don't think they will be easy to get with all the flood waters at present.

Peter

Hey there peter.
    yeah there is really lots of rubbish coming out the pine.
    water is choc brown like everywhere else.

cheers
    greg

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattooty
    High speed, large hooked mullet lure

What do they look like? Or you talking about jagging?

Definitly not . Jagging would be illegal. I just high speed spin for them
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

No worries Horse,

I have noticed that some do jag.

I have no idea what a high speed, large hooked mullet lure looks like or heard of them until a few posts ago.

Which tackle store stocks these and is that the marketing name they sell under?

Peter

Use to catch them down south as a kid on red meat or a combination of mince,bread crumbs and curry powder. Its like a pudding bait you can mould around the hook.Use kanga meat from the pet section its cheap.Use a berley sinker with bread.
    These days I just use a cast net.

I only catch them using a cast net when I know they are around. Early morning when there is no wind and it has to be a suprise cast.

Peter

the hooks i know work are awesome.. they eat all the bait then get so angry when its gone they tackle the hook

actually the other day i was in the brisbane river and i witnessed a bloke catching big mullet off luggage point.. i was chasing tailor so i didnt really pay attention until he pulled in one easily over 50cm.. i drove over ( he was on top of the poo chute) and asked him what he was using... he was catching the mullet on baby halco scorpions in the orange/gold colour. i was dumbfounded. he was dropping them into the running water and they where getting drilled by mullet.. the things you see when you look haha

Never tried it, but my brother told me the 'many fly hooks hanging from a ring of elastic' method was popular during the sea mullet run down at the Tweed.

Rip a strip of crust off a loaf of bread, roll it up and stuff it in the elastic, and cast it out to drift along.

Apparently there were quite a few into it, and your chances of a hook-up shrunk proportionally to the amount of floating bread that had come loose.

Great fun, he reckons.

I've tried pencil floating for them with bread and split shot, but other fish always beat them to it.
    Really fun way to catch horse bream on light line, by the way.

there is always schools of tailor under them i reccomend the bigest metal lure you have with oversize trebles