Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mud Crab injuries?

Re: Mud Crab injuries?

well me crabing the way i do i get alot of bites worst for me was harving to tendons in the top of my hand pulled out and the middle finger snapped by the other claw, i didnt crab after that for a few months mind you it took 2 months for everything to heal back properly, ive had heaps of broken fingers, toes broken when ive slipped tying them up, over at moreton carrying 15 crabs back from the sandhills in a shade cloth bag i ran out of string and got one of the crabs i didnt tie ups claw come threw and get my back had to ly down to wait for him to let go, lacerations hurt, crushed nails, tearing of the webed skin in between your fingers thats a by ouch, i agree accidently standing on them def hurts, though the worst ive ever seen was when my dad was teaching me to catch muddies with my hands he stuck his hand down the whole and wam 2 craws right across the nuckes the crushing claw went straight through his palm and the cutting claw lacerated all his nuckles i had to use a pair of plyers to smash the claws as he was resting his hand on a tree, dont you love when they drop there claws and they just tighten harder and harder, hes never crabbed by hand again, he leaves that up to me know

My two young fellas are gun crabbers and this one was a beauty , when we lived on the water they checked the pots religiously,sometimes getting a dozen a week while i was at work. they handle the crabs very well although there has been some funny moments when they get a savage one. They are good fishos as well, unlike the old man. This pic has been up before but it is a good one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My two young fellas are gun crabbers and this one was a beauty , when we lived on the water they checked the pots religiously,sometimes getting a dozen a week while i was at work. they handle the crabs very well although there has been some funny moments when they get a savage one. They are good fishos as well, unlike the old man. This pic has been up but it is a good one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I once seen a guy lose a finger when i was about 8, at carbrook, there was only skin left holding the finger on,

been bitten a few times.... nothing too bad yet... thank god....

Wow some great stories there boys! I'd love to see some photo's of these injuries to show him just how much power the muddie realy does have.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Seriously, the most times I have been bitten is from crabs that are tied up. Mishandling, and allowing a long finger tip to slide into the wrong spot was the problem; fixed now.
    When a crab bites you and ejects its claw, the muscle contracts and the closed claw sticks fast to your body. The trick is the grab a rock, pliers, knife, or whatever you can find and crack the shell. Once you crack/smash the shell, the muscle relaxes, and you are free to carry on. Don't worry about trying to lever it open, smash it, use your spare hand if you have to.
    Cheers,
    Johnny

I was going to keep quiet but have had some prompting to put this up.

10 years ago fishing in Maroochy river in a hire boat with a mate we caught a few muddies, and in the process of tipping them out of the pot they've ended up in the bottom of the boat.

So in my infinite wisdom I picked up the knife by the sheath end to direct the crab into a bucket..... Well as the crab latched on to the knife I went to pull it away and look out I've pulled the sheath off and armed the bugger!!!

Little bit of panic now, "don't worry I'll get him", jumping around the tinny, "oh shit I've been slashed", my mate thought it was pretty funny now that I had got in a knife fight with a crab and lost.

So my mate sorted out the crab while I wrapped up my wound with pieces of tee shirt. It was quite embarrasing explaining to the boat hire mob why there was blood all over me and my shirt ripped apart while going to get our deposit back.

Hope you all get a laugh cause I have to here about it every time I go near a crab now!

Adam

A good mate of mine and i got onto a few muddies, and we went back to his place and cleaned the boat and had several beers, then his kids come home so he lets the crabs out on the driveway, they started to make a run for it, so i was trying to pin one to the ground with a broom so i could safely pick it up, my mate Terry says just grab it don't be a pussy! So he comes over and tries to grab it and it latches on to his finger, he let out a scream as he ripped his hand away, lucky for him it only just got him and the crab flew through the air into the garage door. His mrs, myself and his 3 kids all gave it to him.
    Marty.