Re: Off topic BBQ- Other meats?

it must not have been that good, you have not been back yet
    just kidding hey
    did it turn out alright?
    cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by flybloke View Post
    The preparation started this afternoon.
    Pork leg skinned, Injected with rum & Apple cider and Rubbed with a dry rub Then in the fridge.
    Ready to get out of bed at 5am to put it on the bench to bring to room temp (Then back to bed) before an 9am start (Small 1.3 kg leg)
    I'm going to struggle if The storms hit again as predicted
    Just as well I have the dog bowl camera (Water proof)
    Looks like it is going to be extreme blow and that might blow the heat out of my BBQ and ruin the joint of meat. I live in a new house and dont have any undercover outdoor area as yet.

Bugger, If I get no results, Will try again next week. But wont be pork. prolly chook
    Just wondering why you would leave pork on the bench for 4 hours. I know you want it at room temp but a 1.3kg piece for 4 hours? pork is as bad as chicken when it comes to exsposing it to unsafe temps for a period of time.

Tailortaker, That would be a plausible argument if it was the hight of Summer.
    I live at 135 metres altitude and get cool night winds straight up the river from Mur -bar. Chiled pork taken out for 4 hours at 7-10 deg room temp would have been no problem
    Thanks for your concern and your attention to detail.
    I've not scripted what I actually did yet and I'm well ahead of you.
    But you are right, Temp is important.
    Im flat out with work ATM but have all the info ready to type up. Will do another this weekend
    Beef? chook? Turkey? what do you feel like?

How about a Lamb Leg or Shoulder?

Greg

Ok a lamb leg it is.
    Ian, No it did not turn out as well as I would have liked but it was still gobbled up.
    Sorry Ive not posted up anything, Since then Ive have a work project that requires me to spend all night on the PC.
    It is still all logged and notes taken.
    Should be able to get the pork up this week end

heatbeads? are they what we call charcoal here in the states?
    you're spot on about buying the better ones. they last longer, with a more even heat. we can get chunks of hardwood charcoal, identifiable as actual pieces of wood, charred to a black chunk. they work great.
    you can add some real camp flavor by putting in a few water soaked chips of hardwood, fruitwood like apple or pear, or any aromatic wood. i'm not sure what your native trees are like, but we have some that should be avoided as they are noxious or bitter.

for roasting, i have some firebrick i put between the fire and my rotiserie. i put a foil drip pan on it, and this keeps the grease out of the flames, and keeps the flame from singeing the meat, and provides a steady, even heat.

a water spray bottle helps keep the flame from becoming an inferno.

try some grilled pineapple with your roast pork- yummo!!

Hi Sparkyice

"Heatbeads? Are they what we call charcoal here in the states?"

Heres a link to explain what heatbeads are http://www.heatbeads.com.au/bbq-tips...eat-beads.html

Where in the states are you anyhooo?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

flybloke
    mate whats gone wrong? we have not seen or heard from you.
    hope all is well
    cheers mate
    ian

Im still around mate, I have since bought a Webber smokie moutain and Ive been using it full on learning to master it.
    Ive got some pork ribs on now No pics of the prep but Ill see if I can put one up of the finnished item.

Looking forward to that one Flybloke.

My Fav is a butterfly leg of lamb marinated in olive oil, red wine, garlic and rosemary over night, then placed on the grill of a hooded bbq for about 40 mins... on low..

You get a ripper roast with everything from rare to well done due to different thickness of the meat so all taste catered for..

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by flybloke View Post
    Not happy with the possible outcome, Could not control temp at 100-120 degrese.
    I wouldn't get too worked up about controlling temp in that small range. I regularly cook in a Bedourie camp oven which requires a top up of coals during a roast cookup if the ambient temp is too low or the wood quality is poor so temp regulation is a bit hit and miss but the results come out perfect.