Thread: biggest mackeral tuna??

biggest mackeral tuna??

hey guys i would like to know ur biggest mackeral tuna i havnt caught one yet but when i do im sure to post it up here so show me the pic or tell me in cm and what you got it on bait/lure (what sort)

Re: biggest mackeral tuna??

Ockoman,

How fortuitous to come across your request.

I got my first mac last Saturday arvo near shallow tempest.

We were in 30m of water and it took a good sized squid tentacle.

It took the top hook of a paternoster rig, which surprised me because it was about 2m off the bottom.

It measured 87cm and a guess of the weight says maybe 8kg - it was too big to just cut up for bait, and I believe they're not great on the chew, so it went back to fight another day.

Hope others will add theirs, I'll be interested to see what's been caught.

Cheers,

Steve

Your right Steve, not for eating, however they make great bait for Trout.

There`s been plenty arond Cape Moreton all around 5-8kg

007Legend,

I don't spend much time on the eastern side, only have a 5m boat. Don't get me wrong, it's very seaworthy, but I'm just more fond of my kidneys these days!

One of my real desires is to connect my 12yo son with a mac, something he'll enjoy and remember.

Given that I think mine was more a fluke than anything else, can you (or anyone else) give me some pointers for making that happen either outside Moreton or in the bay.

We're based at Narangba and mainly put in at Bribie, but can just as easily head for Scarborough.

Any advice on style, tactics, bait vs plastic etc... will be most appreciated and welcome.

Cheers to all,

Steve

A couple caught from off 1770 last year with Roz.

The three in the esky were 6.5 - 7 kg and the one I threw back was about 5kg.

Cheers,
    Wags

Attachment 48067 Attachment 48068 Attachment 48069

Have caught heaps of them up to 8kg. Here's a pick of one caught on a 7inch Gulp dropped into a bait ball near Flat Rock in March. They are a bit of a pest sometimes. I keep the small ones for bait. My cat likes to eat them. I only eat the Yellowfin Tuna's.

Cheers
    Dave

caught a few in WA around 10kg and years ago i caught some around the 9kg mark in Jervis bay nsw. Have seen a 13kg landed but all the ones ive caught in queensland have been 6kg and under. Great fun to catch at anysize!

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    A couple caught from off 1770 last year with Roz.

The three in the esky were 6.5 - 7 kg and the one I threw back was about 5kg.

Cheers,
    Wags

Attachment 48067 Attachment 48068 Attachment 48069
    Some nice fish there mate.
    Solid fish in the esky.
    Well Done.
    FISHING IS NOT A HOBBY...................IT'S AN OBSESSION!!

very underated the old mack toona, great fighters on most gear and dont they go in the shallows , you can see in the photos by how shallow i mean out the front of reddy in 14foot on a 2inch tsunami , hooked a big longtail next fish that wore through the 10lb leader at the boat round the 15kg mark, remember that day foxy??? and marks was a whopper the other side of tempest well over a meter.
    cheers swano

Here's a decent one about 8 kg. Have caught plenty of 10 kg fish though over the years fishing with live tailor about 30 cm - they are a garbage guts when it comes to livies for sure!
    Check out my boat for sale in the classifieds

• 469 Stacer open Seahorse/Nomad
    • 50hp 4 stroke tiller Mercury
    • Heaps of extras, in top condition
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not sure on weight but caught on soft plastic out from south east passage.
    Andrew

awesome bait

Cool Re: biggest mackeral tuna??

Ohh !! I can't wait to post here in a few weeks... I heard the Macs are on the chew around 'the group' just off Point Lookout. still I have never been out there before with my 4m. I think I will need to keep my eye on the weather as I will launch from Flinders.

tight lines !
    Pete