Thread: Cooking Red Claw

Cooking Red Claw

G'day folks has any one had a chance to perfect cooking Redclaw.

There a 100 different ways I have been told but my wife would like a few tips if you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Gordon

Re: Cooking Red Claw

Hi
    Where i came from we just had the simple yabbie. To start off with when you are ready to cook them you need to grab the two middle ends of their tale and give it a good twist, pull on it and it will remove the vein.
    We didn't do anything real special, just add plenty of salt to the water anf throw them in.
    There are many ways to cook them but plain and simple is best.Yo can stir fry them with garlic, chili and some simple chines vegies. Sometimes if we had large tails we would crumb them and deep fry. Use them in a salad or just add some vinegar and salt to a bowl and toss them in.

Ronnie

Cut then in half length ways. Then put some lemon pepper seasoning on the barbeque plate and some butter. Then put the halves on the plate flesh side down. You can cover them with a baking tray and even give them a splash of white wine before you put the baking tray over them.

Garlic and butter also works well.

You can also boil them and put in a big handful of lemon pepper seasoning in the water.

Thanks Steve and Ronnie, we are trying all the above.

Heard a tip on the Sat ABC fishing report, to tenderize Callamari cook in either Kiwi fruit or Paw Paw. Might try that with some of the large Red Claw.

Thanks again,

Gordon

Gordon.....IMHO i would not cook them in either kiwi fruit or paw paw....nor even use them as a tenderiser....though I do use either as a tenderiser for calamari and occy....not to long though (about 1-2 hours max) and make sure you rinse it all off, as in my opinion it does NOT enhance the flavour. To give you an example of how powerful the enzymes are in kiwi fruit, i left a bowl of calamari over night in the fridge in kiwi fruit and when i went to rinse it off the next morning all i had was mush.

They both are too pungent to use with something like redclaw (i have never cooked or eaten redclaw, but am assuming it is similar to murray cray or large freshwater yabby or cherabin). I have never experienced the larger specimens being any tougher than the smaller ones.....and i used to get some crackers out of the dams on my property (when i lived in Camden).

Cheers
    Greg

I love the garlic and chilli sauce

Olive oil low heat
    Add some garlic about 2 cloves
    Sautee
    Add cream and chilli flakes to your liking, salt depending on taste

Mix

Add redclaw and cook until done

Serve over rice, does not get any better

But, any prawn recipe will do!!

Here is a recipe i threw together for some Redclaw.Could also be used with prawns or bugs

2 chillis finley sliced
    3 cloves garlic finley sliced
    Chives chopped roughley
    Green peppercorns crushed.
    Combine all this in a wok with some olive oil.
    After a couple of mins add 1 tin coconut cream.
    Then add the Redclaw tail meat and simmer until cooked.Serve on a bed of Jasmine rice.
    Eat and enjoy

Cheers Dazza

My mouth is watering with that one Dazza. Will have to try it with some banana prawns which are on special at the local fish mongers. Would you think a nice Sauvignon Blanc would enhance the feed, or perhaps a Pinot Gris?

(dont mind me...I love my wines with fine food)

Cheers
    Greg

Cut the tails in half, put them in in container, go to woolies buy plum sauce and marinate them over night, cook on BBQ next day. beautiful.

Also sweet chili sauce and white wine marinate is nice as well.

I did some the other night, peeled tails and dusted in flour with salt, pepper, little chilli flake and some paprika, then deep fried for a couple of minutes, served with tooth pick and a little garnish of finely chopped parsley and spring onion. It was very nice
    Cheers