Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New 4 x 4 dual cab ?

New 4 x 4 dual cab ?

With the present Gov giving away the farm, I thought in an opportunity to purchase a new 4BY.

Today's release of the 50% tax break on new vehicles for small business appears to be too good to pass up.

I have done a small amount of research:-

Nissan...D22......39K....9.2l/klm... 98KW and 304NM.....2500kgs tow.
    Nissan D40.....42K....9.2l/klm....126kw and 403NM.....3000kgs tow.

Holden Colorado..36K..8.5l/klm..120kw and 360NM.....2500kgs tow

Toyota Hilux........36K...8.1l/klm..126KW and 343NM....2250kgs tow

Mitsubishi Triton...28K..10.9l/klm...94KW and 194NM...1800kgs tow

Ford Ranger.......32K...9.2l/klm.....115KW and 380NM..1800kgs tow

Mazda BT50......33K.....9.2l/klm,....115KW and 380NM..3000kgs tow

These are for a 5spd ( D40 has 6 speed ) Manual Diesel turbo. Dual Cab.

The fuel economy is per 100 klm's of course.

The Nissan D40 looks the best, but it is 9,000 dearer than the Mazda. These are the only vehicles in the mix as they have the 3000kg towing capacity.

Bloody Ford and Mitsubishi.... 1800kg tow... wtf ??????

Any thoughts ???????

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: New 4 x 4 dual cab ?

Phil, I would love to see one of these small utes towing 3000kg...sure as hell would have its butt hanging out.

You'd be surprised Pinhead - I was.

Phil the Colorado is a 3 tonne tow limit.

My anecdotal evidence.......
    D22 - unbelievably thirsty for a diesel.
    D40 - best looking, but yet to find someone who hasn't had issues with the spanish built car.
    Colorado - ute of the year (WTF its 5 years old!!!) but honest enough - You'll drive an lx away for a lot less than you've quoted and the safety-spec level is well up on the others for the price.
    Hilux - expensive for the spec level against similar build quality these days(no abs ,no EBD) and crap 15" wheels and tyres that are almost good enough to drive home on??? Serpentine belts chewing alternator/aircon front ends - not cheap, but generally not in the first 100k's either.
    BT 50 - you'll break it - they bend bad (send me your mobile no. and I'll show you one from the other day)

Personally I don't think any of them will have the toughness or longevity you'd be after - they aren't made for that any more. The common rail motor is yet to be proven in an underwater situation and cost a bomb to repair.
    If I could afford it I'd look at a new 2wd for work, and keep the basher for what she's good at.
    Dunno what the tow capacity is on the Dmax but you may as well price it up too.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Personally I don't think any of them will have the toughness or longevity you'd be after - they aren't made for that any more. The common rail motor is yet to be proven in an underwater situation and cost a bomb to repair.
    GBC - have you written to these companies to ask why they are still puting these motors in vehicles if they aren't up to par?

Phil,
    Contact the dealerships outside of Brisbane. When I bought my Rodeo new (with a few extras), I saved over $3500 by buying in Bundy. Well worth the $200 flight to pick it up and drive it home. Also a few mates in Bundy have bought cars from d-ships west of Bundy for saving a few $$$$ as well. The Commodore on the other hand was cheaper in Bris than Bundy as M&D found out a few weeks ago.

Happy hunting,

Wags

I agree with wags in looking/buying out of town.
    My boss recently bought a 200 series cruiser from madills at noosa and saved about 4k.

Cheers Craig
    If you always do what you've always done
    You'll always get what you've always got

Phill,

When I bought my BT50, I looked at the Ford as well, they are virtually the same vehicle. From memory (which may be fading) the 4x4 TD Ranger has a 3000kg towing capacity as well. The Dmax also has a 3000kg capacity, and for the money would have been a good buy if it wasn't so painful to the eye.

My Mazda hasn't bent yet, give me time.

Shane

Don't need to write wags - you're a smart guy - you'd have read about emissions standards. They are the very reason the mechanically injected old school diesel was taken off the aus market.

The toughness line was mean't to be about the 'whole' car not just the motor.

I think the cr motors are just great for tear arsing around town - but time will tell if they are going to be high milers like the old school ones.

One look under the bonnet of my work cr colorado will tell you they don't like water - there's little computers and leads running everywhere.

I'd wager the petrols will last longer myself.

Phill if you do decide Holden give me a call......

My ML Triton can pull 2500kgs(legally) no worries, auto DID, dont know where you got the 1.8 from maybe older MK model, but the new ones pull like ya wouldnt believe. And with the current end of year sales, you can get a GLX-R for around 36k driveaway.

doesnt toyo have fixed price servicing cheaper?

The mazda and ford are the same vehicle, different badges...why the difference in towing capacity?

Phil..my Hi Lux is now just over 3 years old (february)..178000 klms...not one problem with it all and the only things that have been changed are timing belt, brake pads and tyres. I would not change makes for any reason..ultra reliable this ute has been.

Have you seen the current edition of 4WD Action mag ? In it they do a test of the 6 top selling duel cab utes. There's also a bonus dvd covering the test. at only $10 could be worth getting, although I dont think they cover the towing aspect.

My old man has a D40 with 285000km on it and he isn't someone who looks after his cars that well, Its never missed a beat.
    It has towed bobcat's on trailer and a 18ft boat all over the place and as far as Cairns.
    Had its fair share of off road and beach work so IMO it has the goods for a long term investment.
    Can't comment on any of the others, hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks everyone for comments.

The towing capacity is high on the priority list for me.

I currently have the Navara 2002 D22 3ltr TD and am getting under 12ltrs / 100. Not that good.

Colorado does have a 3000kg tow. My original info was incorrect. And the price is 32, 490 there is a sale on >>>>>

The Triton does pull 2500kgs,,, again, my original info source was #####d.

I need:-

3000 tow

at least 110KW

Diesel
    manual

Manual front hubs

Dual cab....

Still looking................................

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

g'day
    i just bought a new bt50 6 weeks ago and it towes my boat really well..bmt weights approx 1.8t...the only thing i had was it saged in the arse with a light load in it....mazda fixed the prob straight away by adding another leaf spring....doesnt ride like a car no more but is a much better ute now...
    cheers rosco