Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New 4 x 4 dual cab ?

Re: New 4 x 4 dual cab ?

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Don't need to write wags - you're a smart guy - you'd have read about emissions standards. They are the very reason the mechanically injected old school diesel was taken off the aus market.

The toughness line was mean't to be about the 'whole' car not just the motor.

I think the cr motors are just great for tear arsing around town - but time will tell if they are going to be high milers like the old school ones.

One look under the bonnet of my work cr colorado will tell you they don't like water - there's little computers and leads running everywhere.

I'd wager the petrols will last longer myself.

Phill if you do decide Holden give me a call......
    G'day,

I'm not going to go into chapter and verse about the engineering but ever since crash protection standards and airbags arrived on the light commercial scene the structures of medium-duty wagons and utilities has advanced by light years.

The days of mounting snoopy's dog box on a pair of railways lines to build a 4x4 are past and the new stuff is vastly stronger for load carrying as well as taking a hit.

You don't have to change the oil at 5,000Km intervals anymore either - but if you don't change it often enough and use high quality oils, and get the engine, transmission and BCM ECU's checked for faults, and (if towing) double the frequency of other drive line oil changes, and use LOW4 on boat ramps to help overcome inertia the repair bills could be expensive.

Regards,

White Pointer

Phill the d22 that's "apparently" chewing the fuel is the 2.5l - worse than your 3 ??. But it's gutless anyway (under your 100 kw mark) so I'm assuming you wouldn't want it.

w.p. no doubting they'll go better,stop better and save my life better - just dunno how all the gadgets are going to last.

Pity the mits didn't get to 3t - they were on my shortlist when I was looking simply on price, warrantee and ease of driving.

Manual hubs?? I know why, but why not add 'must have quarter glass to put maccas upgrade stickers on? Shortening up the field a bit there old mate. Conversely though I believe you may have brought the tata back into the running

I dont think any of those trucks listed towing 3 tonne would do it easy. I cant understand why a 2.5L engine can put out so much power, yet still has the 3 tonne tow rating. I dont think they will last too long. especially the crap fuel (diesel) australia has. Why do you need a 3 tonne capacity? Its worthless if your carrying 5ppl on board as that 3 tonne goes straight out the window.

Try towing (whatever you need to) with the 5 trucks and then make up your mind.

Phil, I just went down this path and was told by dealers to bear in mind that some of the towing capacities are caculated with or without a full tray load. Hence the large difference in towing capacity in essentially the same vehicles.

I only tow a tinnie or cherry picker, so I got a TRD hi-lux because it does good burnouts, and toyota's seem to hold their value well ( IMHO ).

Good luck.

BTW - I traded the old hi-lux 3.0L non-turbo diesel. it had 240,000 Kms and it did an engine mount, shocks, and a tie-rod over 8 year period, and I got 10K as a trade on it.

Phil here is my opinion it up to you what you going to get
    i see them all the time

ford and bt50 are good cars do not brake down at all
    Triton is good too

rodeo is very bad
    hilux straight after rodeo

i talking about new ones ( one or two years old)

i got me self ranger auto 3l TDI it tows 2.5t but manual tow 3t same as bt50

my ford did 25000 so far no hiccups at all. Very happy so far yet time to tall

cheers myway

http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/make.asp

This link might be worth a browse phill - complaints site - but I'd read it with a large grain of salt..... there are people in this world who simply should not own cars much less be allowed to be members of society.

"My diesel patrol blew up after I didn't service it for 45000 kms......they didn't honour the warranty"

No complaints about hilux front belts though- the fleet ones I had experience with had just over 100 000 on them, but the hours on the engines would have been much more - security vehicles which spent a large amount of time idling - perhaps I should withdraw my comment about them.

Phil,
    For what it's worth, I used to have a Mazda Bravo 4x4 twin cab that made all the claims about towing capacity etc...my boat is 1500kilo, and that with 3 kids in the back and loaded up with camping gear towed it....but it struggled to the point of pinging engine, poor braking and so on. Whilst it was a good unit, it was painfully obvious that it wouldn't keep that up for long..so I traded it in on an 80 series Cruiser, and never looked back..best vehicle I have ever owned. Moral of the story..don't compromise.

cheers
    Ian

GCB, I crossed this water crossing 3-5 times a day for 7 days last Christmas... Only problem with my D40 is one off the window switch's stop working, and a bit off paint plealed of the cruise control facia located on the steering wheel...

Its a 07 D40 TD Auto, stock standard

We just bought a Holden Rodeo TD after a lot of research we wanted a tow vehicle so the 3,000 kg was a good start.

The deal was pretty good as well. We have done a upgrade on the suspension added a lift kit, dif lock, and a heap of other stuff including a DP Power chip all this came out to the list price for the new basic Colorado or DMax.

I am still running it in with only 2,000 km on the clock I have only towed a fully loaded 6x8 trailer with a mango tree chopped up in the back. I am not sure what the weight was but the truck didn't even notice it was on the back.

Value for money made the decision for us.

PS we also added ABS and the Electronic Brake distribution thingy I would not tow a heavy load without the suspension upgrade work or the brake upgrade.

rossco what did they charge you for extra springs
    thanks

My new colorado.
    3l t/d 5 speed manual 4x4 crew cab
    I am getting around 8.5l/100ks
    I have just towed my boat behind it today for
    the first time and it did it without any problems
    at all. So far on this tank of juice i have done
    200ks and 100 are towing. I will fill it up tomorrow
    and post the fuel consumption.
    I have not had any problems with it so far and for
    those who knock brands of vehicles other than what
    they are driving should look outside the square.
    A lot of weather you have problems is down to how you
    drive your vehicle, how you drive it towing and how good
    you are with your servicing.
    Remember if you have a tonne of weight in the tray you can only tow
    2 tonne on the trailer and so forth.
    For the price i paid and the performance i am getting out
    of my colorado i couldn't be happier.
    Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by gawby View Post
    My new colorado.
    3l t/d 5 speed manual 4x4 crew cab
    I am getting around 8.5l/100ks
    I have just towed my boat behind it today for
    the first time and it did it without any problems
    at all. So far on this tank of juice i have done
    200ks and 100 are towing. I will fill it up tomorrow
    and post the fuel consumption.
    I have not had any problems with it so far and for
    those who knock brands of vehicles other than what
    they are driving should look outside the square.
    A lot of weather you have problems is down to how you
    drive your vehicle, how you drive it towing and how good
    you are with your servicing.
    Remember if you have a tonne of weight in the tray you can only tow
    2 tonne on the trailer and so forth.
    For the price i paid and the performance i am getting out
    of my colorado i couldn't be happier.
    Graeme

If I remember correctly the Colorado Rodeo DMax has a 5,600kg all up tow and carry weight.

I agree with you regarding brands after looking at most of them their was very little difference. I don't think any of them are "bad" we just chose the one that suited us the best. Again it probably maters more how they are set up, how they are driven and serviced.

Phil, Its a bit of muching around but I would get an 80 series which I can get a good 4.2td gxl for under 10k then spend 13k and chop it into a dual cab. Honestly you will never look back. Power/towing reliabitlity galore...
    Or if the budget allows a 100 series..

http://www.creativeconversions.com.au/

Ben,

thanks, but I need a new 4 x4 ... 50% tax rebate, 100% tax deduction plus depreciation for me equates to 150% deduction for the vehicle. That's big under my personal circumstances.

Thanks Graeme,

good info. Don't know if the ' crew cab ' is the same as a " dual Cab " ?

Good call Dug.

Upgrade brakes as well as suss.... Now, I am so far behind times... I thought Holden dropped the Rodeo and introduced the Colorado as it's replacement.

Jabba,

Your truck went well the day out with us. Still going strong by the looks....

baitwaster,

yep, for some reason the Hi-lux's ( toyo's in general ) hold a better resale value. This is something that does not come into my equations as such. The tax thing takes care of that, but it would be nice to work things out well when the time comes to trade/ sell.

adam69,

towing with a 3ltr is OK, IMO. I currently have one and do that. Not 3 ton, but 2 plus, so no need to tow to limit as that IMO< isn't good. Just need breathing space. I think it is all in the gearing too, let's do a % thing and you'll find semi's and B doubles towing 40 ton with engines < % > wise, much smaller than the ratio of the vehicles i am talking about.

I towed my 6.2 platey with 200kgs fuel, 60 kg ice, 80 kgs of other crap... so nearly 2.4 all up and with 100kgs in the tray. Uses about 18ltrs / 100. I also run at 100kph on the highway...... 110 in that particular zone, but hills pull me up and I simply pull back a gear. I feel the 5th gear in the Nissans are not designed to " pull " as opposed to an overdrive. I mean, these things will hit 180kph and then some...... ( apparently )

GBC,

there must be a market for " aftermarket " quarter glasses ???????

Spoke to several D40 owners over the weekend.... all speak highly and one is an ex... hi-lux owner. !

thanks to all...........

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

phil,
    Crew cab / dual cab is the same thing

Have a look at My new colorado a few posts down in the 4x4 area.