Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Communal camping stuff

Re: Communal camping stuff

Thanks again, have updated.

We do have a camp microwave, cheap little 700w one, in two minds whether to include it, saves washing up extra stuff at least yep in it goes.

Finga, Bubble and squeek..yum!, for a lot of years I couldn't get i as nice i I remember as a child, finally asked my mom why, seems I was leaving out the cabbage! So I have included cabbage in the list now

DR your welcome along! but you will need to keep the tux presentable

Kingtin I wouldn't have thought of corned beef, good one!

Greg, plan A, disorderly and I are heading off up Princess Charlot Bay direction for an extended chill and fish. The third person in our party just last night confirmed he is definately out so down one for plan A atm. Need as a minimum 3 people so on a rotational/who's laziest, one can be the camp bi@*h while the others are out fishing for the day.

Depending on what scott thinks also but if we decide to stick with this plan A we might end up calling for a volunteer to join us.

cheers fnq

if you have the freezer space, get to a bakery such as brumbys and organise some 1kg bags of frozen dough. Then when you are up there with a nice fire, pull out a ball of dough, place it into the camp oven and let it thaw out, it will rise and eventually fill the camp oven. Put in the coals and 20min later, fresh bread.
    Can be a real treat after some time out bush! Takes up less room than bread and travels better as well.

Goddy

Quote Originally Posted by goddy100 View Post
    if you have the freezer space, get to a bakery such as brumbys and organise some 1kg bags of frozen dough. Then when you are up there with a nice fire, pull out a ball of dough, place it into the camp oven and let it thaw out, it will rise and eventually fill the camp oven. Put in the coals and 20min later, fresh bread.
    Can be a real treat after some time out bush! Takes up less room than bread and travels better as well.

Goddy
    Now thats a fantastic idea....as long as there is beer and bread I'm a happy camper...Might even have to ditch FNQ's rump steak to make room for enough dough in the freezer ..

I try to eat well when I'm away - and generally succeed! If you are only going for a night or two it doesn't matter, eggs and some snags and taties and away you go. If it is longer than that then the novelty of crap food and beer will wear off real fast.

I like the idea of the frozen dough -will have to try that. I put some frozen bread in the engel fridge and you can keep for many days on max - in fact I have even taken ice cream this way.

Pack a couple of roasts - I cook mine in a Cobb but any camp oven will do and they taste fabulous with some vegies, gravy and bread. Yeah, instant gravy helps. Lots of vegies are easy, cheap, and keep well. Cook 'em all in one pot if you want. Some tinned vegies can add greens to the diet too.

If you take some instant casserole mix in the packet and some diced beef frozen, you can chuck it in the camp oven with a tin of beer and some vegies about mid afternoon and you will have an awsome feast waiting at dark when you stagger back.

The dehydrated instant things like noodles and soups etc make easy lunches or a late snack if you are cold.

You gotto have sweets too! Last trip we ate about a truckload of rice cream, but take tinned puddings and stuff like that, anything that keeps and is easy.

Coffee and milk in the tube. I hate the garbage, but for some reason if I am camping or out in the boat there is nothing better. So easy too.

Lots of packets of chips for snacks.

Bikkies.

Good read guys. Going for 3 weeks would be great. You need plenty of food for that length.

FNQ, sounds like you boys will have a great trip. Where abouts are you guys setting up camp? I'm heading that way in 3 weeks time for 5 days. Hopefully the fishing is good.

Make sure you've got plenty of beer, rum and coke. Can always catch a feed of fish if you get hungry.

Oh aeroguard. The mozzies can be bad.

Pazz

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Nut View Post
    Highly recommend:
    Pasta'n'Sauce, potato, onion, whole garlic cloves for an awesome feed after a big day fishing and amber fluid. All in the one pot:
    Start the potatos / onion / garlic, add pasta sauce mix with water / uht milk, 10 minutes later you have an awesome feast with some crusty bread it is even better.

Only one pot to clean for a great dinner.

Cheers.

Ed.
    How good was it I would also add an onion.

"Greg, plan A, disorderly and I are heading off up Princess Charlot Bay direction for an extended chill and fish. The third person in our party just last night confirmed he is definately out so down one for plan A atm. Need as a minimum 3 people so on a rotational/who's laziest, one can be the camp bi@*h while the others are out fishing for the day.

Depending on what scott thinks also but if we decide to stick with this plan A we might end up calling for a volunteer to join us."

It's called Karavella's baby - or any of the backpackers on the esplanade. One with big hOOters that doesn't speak much engrich is preferred. Just put a note on the board. Non fishers also require less room for all their crap.

You'd be surprised

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post

It's called Karavella's baby - or any of the backpackers on the esplanade. One with big hOOters that doesn't speak much engrich is preferred. Just put a note on the board. Non fishers also require less room for all their crap.

You'd be surprised
    Thats a ripper of an idea...even my wife thinks so...

Goddy thanks that's a ripper idea on the dough, the bread maker could make it here at home before we leave, I wonder at what stage it should be frozen.

Scott, keep your fishy hands of my rump!

Wilcara, it is the iceing on the cake good food when camping, doesnt have to be expensive just an enjoyable easy to cook variety, will add that roast.

Pazz will pm you later.

GBC ...... boy O boy did you open a can of worms.........

cheers fnq

Wilcara, it is the iceing on the cake good food when camping, doesnt have to be expensive just an enjoyable easy to cook variety, will add that roast.
    Sometimes the less you have the better it can be.

Last trip one of the guys brought a butterflied lamb leg... just coat it with oil and whatever spice you have and throw it on the hotplate, you don't even need an oven. We had it with taties roasted in the coals and some boiled veg... just yum.

From memory it was washed down with a bottle of red then about 72 beers.

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post

GBC ...... boy O boy did you open a can of worms.........

cheers fnq
    I honestly dont see what the fuss is about Scott....by my way of thinking its a perfect plan..although we will not be able to call her the camp b---h but rather our little camp angel...

Did the list have vegemite? I can't remember now. Vegemite is my key ingredient when Im making a camp oven stew. I have 3 ovens in diff sizes. The large one is for the damper (make standard damper then add tiny bits of bacon, garlic cloves and cheese) for dippin in the stew. Middle one is for the Stew and the small onw is for another sweet damper (less salt, add chopped marshmellows and chopped jellie babies or gummie bears) you would be supprised at how good a sweet damper is after a savoury garlic one dipped in your stew.

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hmmmmmm 14 days 14x30=420 cans of XXXXGold per man per day perhaps
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Quote Originally Posted by griz066 View Post
    Hmmmmmm 14 days 14x30=420 cans of XXXXGold per man per day perhaps
    Both FNQ and the camp angel are wowsers..does that mean I have to drink 3 times as much to make up for them....?

sheesh...wilcara takes a restaurant when going away.
    3 weeks..XXXX, green ginger wine..some bread and vegemite..what else do you need?