Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GPS Sustainability

Re: GPS Sustainability

I dont know what the drama is for us. I appreciate the tip off that GPS reliability might degrade. But its not like someone is suggesting that our outboards wont work (although the ETECs will stop if solar flaring becomes large enough in 2012-2015 . Overall I will be pissed about nighttime performance, but in terms of day time I have some nav skills from several courses, but would do a refresher and get on with it.

I wont be worrying about it any more than that. My Garmin 178C tells me when GPS accuracy drops (pre-set by me) and no doubt there will be alerts if its getting bad.

Cheers

Who controls the GPS program currently?
    What are the chances of them being able to service or replace any satelites in need?
    Where will the finding for this venture come from?
    Jack.

"Who controls the GPS program currently?"

1. US Gov -> US DoD -> USAF

"What are the chances of them being able to service or replace any satelites in need?"

2. Currently the point of conjecture depending on the source

"Where will the funding for this venture come from?"

3. US Gov (US tax payer)

"so to it could be possible that GPS receivers may need to be changed/upgraded as new GPS systems are implemented - not necessarily by the US."

1. The added capabilities will for sure require new GPS receivers IF users require the additional capabilities. The backward compatibility of civil GPS is also a conjecture point but should not be an issue.

"It's not the end of the road but just the beginning and the private sector will be there adapting military and space age developments as they always have."

2. The private sector will certainly take the lead but are totally reliant on there being a system in the first place which they have absolutely no control over.

Don't throw away your paper charts! - GPS failings to come
    'Projected effect of satellite launch delays' . A report just out by the Government Accountability Office(GAO) of the USA has revealed significant issues with the future of the GPS world wide system, currently provided free by the USA. The report is entitled 'Significant Challenges in Sustaining and Upgrading Widely Used Capabilities' and was released last week.

The GAO was asked to do the study because of the crucial role that GPS plays in national security, apart from the key tool in commercial applications, including world wide shipping and in all forms of transport. While the air force is in the process of modernising the system, including the acquisition of GPS satellites and the associated ground control systems, the report casts doubt on their ability to carry out this process in a way that will maintain full efficiency.

The report, which is very lengthy, goes on to describe how the likely efficiency of the system will drop significantly in the coming years before suitable satellite modernisation has taken place.

Their report states:

Satellites not sufficient for the job? - .. .
    It is uncertain whether the Air Force will be able to acquire new
    satellites in time to maintain current GPS service without interruption. If not, some military operations and some civilian users could be adversely affected.

* In recent years, the Air Force has struggled to successfully build GPS satellites within cost and schedule goals; it encountered significant technical problems that still threaten its delivery schedule; and it struggled with a different contractor. As a result, the current IIF satellite program has overrun its original cost estimate by about $870 million and the launch of its first satellite has been delayed to November 2009—almost 3 years late.

* Further, while the Air Force is structuring the new GPS IIIA program to prevent mistakes made on the IIF program, the Air Force is aiming to deploy the next generation of GPS satellites 3 years faster than the IIF satellites. GAO’s analysis found that this schedule is optimistic, given the program’s late start, past trends in space acquisitions, and
    challenges facing the new contractor. Of particular concern is leadership for GPS acquisition, as GAO and other studies have found the lack of a single point of authority for space programs and frequent turnover in program managers have hampered requirements setting, funding stability, and resource allocation.

* If the Air Force does not meet its schedule goals for development of GPS IIIA satellites, there will be an increased likelihood that in 2010, as old satellites begin to fail, the overall GPS constellation will fall below the number of satellites required to provide the level of GPS service that the U.S. government commits to. Such a gap in capability could have wide-ranging impacts on all GPS users, though there are measures the Air Force and others can take to plan for and
    minimize these impacts.

In addition to risks facing the acquisition of new GPS satellites, the Air Force has not been fully successful in synchronizing the acquisition and development of the next generation of GPS satellites with the ground control and user equipment, thereby delaying the ability of military users to fully utilize new GPS satellite capabilities. Diffuse leadership has been a contributing factor, given that there is no single authority responsible for synchronizing all
    procurements and fielding related to GPS, and funding has been diverted from ground programs to pay for problems in the space segment.

DOD and others involved in ensuring GPS can serve communities beyond the military have taken prudent steps to manage requirements and coordinate among the many organizations involved with GPS. However, GAO identified challenges to ensuring civilian requirements and ensuring GPS compatibility with other new, potentially competing global space-based positioning, navigation, and timing systems.

What GAO Recommends:

GAO’s recommendations include that the Secretary of Defense appoint a single authority to oversee development of GPS space, ground control, and user equipment assets, to ensure they are synchronized, well executed, and potential disruptions are minimized. DOD concurred with our recommendations.

For the full report, click here , and for a link to an Inside GNSS article, click here

by Blackwattle Studios 10:07 AM Sat 16 May 2009

May be something in all this . See todays article on news.com.au http://www.news.com.au/technology/st...014239,00.html. I am not going to upgrade my Garmin until the dust settles .

Chris

Happened In The First Gulf Wargps On Our Trawler Went From 1 Meter Accuracy To Between 150 To 500 Meters We Wre Targetting Orange Roughy Over Under Water Sea Mounts South East And South Of Tassie And There Was Plenty Of Gear Left Behind Including 10,000 Buck Headline Moniters.
    U.s Defence Dept Controlled It All Then Commercial Airlines Exempt

Regards Dave

“Happened In The First Gulf War gps On Our Trawler Went From 1 Meter Accuracy To Between 150 To 500 Meters”

1. That would have had nothing to do with any of the Gulf wars. In any case 1 metre accuracy was simply not even possible and any inaccuracy observed was not a result of any Gulf war.

“U.s Defence Dept Controlled It All Then Commercial Airlines Exempt”

2. “Commercial Airlines Except” The expectations and what people believe are simply amazing. That could not and simply did not happen.

3. OMG what will people dream up next?

HeySat Nav, instead of sitting up and lecturing us and asking funny little cryptic questions like some pointy headed thick glasses wearing uni educated professor nerd poonce type fulla be a bit more specific and forthcomiing with any info you might have, no doubt you may have half a clue what youre on about but just remember were only a mob of raggy old rec fishos, lighten up and loose the schoolteacher attitude mate , not having a go at you or lookin for a barney, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    “Happened In The First Gulf War gps On Our Trawler Went From 1 Meter Accuracy To Between 150 To 500 Meters”

1. That would have had nothing to do with any of the Gulf wars. In any case 1 metre accuracy was simply not even possible and any inaccuracy observed was not a result of any Gulf war.

“U.s Defence Dept Controlled It All Then Commercial Airlines Exempt”

2. “Commercial Airlines Except” The expectations and what people believe are simply amazing. That could not and simply did not happen.

3. OMG what will people dream up next?
    why is this not possible ?? look at all the new weapon technology that suddenly emerged when the gulf war / iraq started getting heavy . Do you think they designed the weapons in 2 weeks and shipped them over ?

Joystick controlled missiles with cameras in the nose that can be put through a window !!!

The new technology that emerged is what they wanted the world to see , what is scary is what they still have hidden away for the nasty jobs that current military hardware cant win wars with .

THe goverments especially the U.S goverment is very secretive when the lines are drawn on country security ( look at 9-11 ) so who is to say the defense department cant somehow retard the accuracy of gps by half a km ??

Russia has been awfully quiet and crying poor for years so who knows what
    super secrets are hiding

Quote Originally Posted by siegfried View Post
    HeySat Nav, instead of sitting up and lecturing us and asking funny little cryptic questions like some pointy headed thick glasses wearing uni educated professor nerd poonce type fulla be a bit more specific and forthcomiing with any info you might have, no doubt you may have half a clue what youre on about but just remember were only a mob of raggy old rec fishos, lighten up and loose the schoolteacher attitude mate , not having a go at you or lookin for a barney, cheers

I second this motion.

Cheers Craig
    If you always do what you've always done
    You'll always get what you've always got

"just remember were only a mob of raggy old rec fishos"

1. Yes people like you remind me of that just about every day. Then again maybe some need a different approach?

"why is this not possible ??"

1. Because it simply did not happen, this is hindsight, we actually know what occured but what occured and what some "think" occured is vastly different. Yes I know some believe all sorts of things that did not occur.

2. Remember during the Gulf war GPS was no where near 100% complete, far from it and this is also well known

"so who is to say the defense department cant somehow retard the accuracy of gps by half a km ??"

3. Well they could IF they wanted to and actually a lot more than half a km but have never had a reason to do so and future satellites will not have this capability anyway, so it's all here say, full of people's folly and incorrect expectations

"Russia has been awfully quiet and crying poor for years so who knows what
    super secrets are hiding"

4. You better check under your bed before turning in tonight !!

This is a beat up.

Satnav

your speculating just like the rest of us here, except you demand us to take your opinion as fact.

and OMG you got your spelling wrong as well

PS what do those do who dont have space under their bed, where do i look and what do i look for??? All I want to know will there be a snapper under there??
    Tangles KFC